Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
WInchester 1897 Bluing Gone
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 26, 2022 - 3:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hello, I have seen a quite a few 1897’s that the bluing is almost completely missing (including mine) and just have a patina with areas around the screws, chamber, mag tube where you can tell there are areas that are somewhat blued.  Were there certain years that they used a different metal where the bluing came off easier, or didn’t adhere as well?

Mine is a unique 1903, 20″ barrel that I’m leaving as-is, but I wish it had some bluing left to it.  I thought about selling it and was curious to know if the lack of bluing would affect the price.  I know re-bluing would negatively affect it!

Capture.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6367
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
June 26, 2022 - 3:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

ahedgpe said   Were there certain years that they used a different metal where the bluing came off easier, or didn’t adhere as well?

Yes, but that change didn’t occur until 1919, when the nickel content of the rcvr. was increased, so that can’t be the cause of your bluing loss.  Furthermore, that change didn’t alter the durability of the brl. blue, because brls. were rust-blued.  So unless there was some difference in the alloy or bluing process of shotguns, compared to rifles, that I don’t know about, I’d guess handling-wear alone accounts for blue loss on your ’97.

Of course blue wear affects value adversely, quite adversely…unless you run into some eccentric like me who actually likes “grey guns.”  Rebluing puts it into the parts-gun category.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
June 26, 2022 - 6:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

ahedgpe said
Hello, I have seen a quite a few 1897’s that the bluing is almost completely missing (including mine) and just have a patina with areas around the screws, chamber, mag tube where you can tell there are areas that are somewhat blued.  Were there certain years that they used a different metal where the bluing came off easier, or didn’t adhere as well?

Mine is a unique 1903, 20″ barrel that I’m leaving as-is, but I wish it had some bluing left to it.  I thought about selling it and was curious to know if the lack of bluing would affect the price.  I know re-bluing would negatively affect it!

Your Model 1897 Riot Gun is worth a lot more in its current condition than it would be if you have it reblued.  Like Clarence, I very much prefer an old “gray” gun that is still 100% factory original than I do one that has been refinished.

As for the bluing wear on your Model 1897, it looks exactly like it should for a gun that was carried and used for nearly 120-years.

For my research survey, what is the serial number on your gun?  Is the barrel marked “CYL” ?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
June 26, 2022 - 6:45 pm

Bert H. said

ahedgpe said

Your Model 1897 Riot Gun is worth a lot more in its current condition than it would be if you have it reblued.  Like Clarence, I very much prefer an old “gray” gun that is still 100% factory original than I do one that has been refinished.

As for the bluing wear on your Model 1897, it looks exactly like it should for a gun that was carried and used for nearly 120-years.

For my research survey, what is the serial number on your gun?  Is the barrel marked “CYL” ?

Bert

Thanks. I don’t plan on changing it, was just curious if a change in metals or process occurred.

Bert, this one has an 1893 barrel on it and a customer order# stamped into the barrel, under the mag tube, near the receiver. It has the “12” at the top of the barrel near the receiver, but has no choke stamp on it. Last year, you told me Winchester liked to reuse parts they already had from the 1893s (barrel, buttstock, buttplate, etc) and reused then on the 1897s. Fun gun, that I’m now rethinking selling…

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
June 26, 2022 - 7:02 pm

ahedgpe said

Bert H. said

ahedgpe said

Bert

Thanks. I don’t plan on changing it, was just curious if a change in metals or process occurred.

Bert, this one has an 1893 barrel on it and a customer order# stamped into the barrel, under the mag tube, near the receiver. It has the “12” at the top of the barrel near the receiver, but has no choke stamp on it. Last year, you told me Winchester liked to reuse parts they already had from the 1893s (barrel, buttstock, buttplate, etc) and reused then on the 1897s. Fun gun, that I’m now rethinking selling…

Please contact me via email – [email protected]

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
June 26, 2022 - 7:18 pm

Bert H. said

ahedgpe said

Bert H. said

ahedgpe said

Bert

Please contact me via email – [email protected]

Bert

Ok I sent you an email.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 804
June 27, 2022 - 12:14 am

I was told, some years ago, that guns stored in leather cases back in the early 1900’s tended to loose the bluing due to the solvents used in tanning of the leather.  The guns didn’t rust to any extent, just had the loss of blue color.  Just sounded like a strong possibility to me.  RDB

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6367
June 27, 2022 - 1:25 am

rogertherelic said
I was told, some years ago, that guns stored in leather cases back in the early 1900’s tended to loose the bluing due to the solvents used in tanning of the leather.  The guns didn’t rust to any extent, just had the loss of blue color.  Just sounded like a strong possibility to me.  RDB

Roger,  I’m doubtful a great many guns were actually stored long-term in leather, other than take-downs in leg-of-mutton style cases.  Full length cases were usually canvas lined with flannel, which could promote rusting because the flannel held moisture under conditions of high humidy; sheep-skin lining was the worst about holding moisture, as the sad fate of several of my father’s guns demonstrated.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 804
June 27, 2022 - 6:59 pm

Is seems, more than likely, I was misinformed about any chemical reaction that leather cases might have caused to the bluing.  I was unaware that leather gun cases weren’t used for storing guns for any extended periods of time.  Always happy to learn when I have been misinformed in the past.  Thanks.  RDB

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: clarence, rogertherelic, Aussie Chris, TR, joe45c, oldcrankyyankee, TG
Guest(s) 171
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6367
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2343
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726