Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Win. Model 101 12 ga ou
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 29, 2017 - 6:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello and Happy New Year from a newby,

Ive been worn down trying to locate information to replace a ou barrel for my Father’s old model 101.

I have of course contacted Winchester only to find out that they do not have any help for the pre 1990 year models.

So, as a member of other green screens, I was hoping to find help here. I have the serial number but that hasn’t helped.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10827
December 29, 2017 - 7:14 pm

I am afraid that you are facing a very steep uphill battle to find the assistance you seek.

Olin Industries was the owner of the Winchester Arms Company at the time your father’s old Model 101 O/U was manufactured (in Japan). Olin got out of the gun making industry in early 1981 when the sold the original New Haven CT factory to the newly formed U.S. Repeating Arms Company (USRACo.), but they retained the “Winchester” name. The USRACo. leased the rights to use the trademarked “Winchester” name, and continued production of several different Winchester models, including the Model 101 (still manufactured in Japan). In the early 1990s (I believe 1992) the USRACo. got into financial trouble, and was purchased by F.N. Herstal. I do not know if production of the Model 101 O/U shotgun continued after F.N. purchased the USRACo. In March of 2006, F.N. shutdown and dismantled the original Winchester factory in New Haven CT, and shifted their production of “Winchester” firearms to the Browning Arms Company.

The current company that is using the trademarked “Winchester” name is the Browning Arms Company, which is also a wholly owned subsidiary of F.N. Herstal. F.N. Purchased the Browning Arms Company in the late 1980s, and in recent years, leased the rights to use the trademarked “Winchester” name from the Olin Corporation.

What all of this really means for you, is that the company that manufactured your Model 101 O/U shotgun has been out of that business since early 1981 (nearly 38-years). The USRACo. (who also manufactured the Model 101) ceased to exist in 2006. The Browning Arms Company has no involvement in the production or service of an older Model 101, leaving you high and dry in regards to factory service for it. Your only option is to find a qualified shop/gun smith that can hopefully repair your gun.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
December 29, 2017 - 10:13 pm

Wow, Bert, I was hoping to get a reply. I take it you know a thing or two about shotguns. I sure appreciate your knowledge, which will eliminate a lot of wasted time on my part. I have been told that a gun smith would probably be my best bet. I was just hoping I could find out more about this particular 101 by tracing the serial number but as you have said manufacturer going out of business and not transferring data( if they had it) doesn’t help. 

Thank you very much for your knowledge!

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
January 9, 2018 - 6:11 am

Have you contacted Midwest Gun Works?

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5018
January 10, 2018 - 12:07 am

Why do you believe you need replacement barrels? Unless they’re missing altogether there’s a chance they can be repaired. 

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
January 19, 2018 - 4:50 pm

Contact Chris Showler from Classic Doubles, he has the remaining stock from the Olin/Kodensha venture

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: gobblerforge, Randycrockett
Guest(s) 62
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6357
TXGunNut: 5018
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4319
steve004: 4246