Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Upgrading Winchester 1897 "C" model to "D" or "E"
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 23, 2020 - 5:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hey Winchester folks! I tried searching all over for this but wasn’t able to find anything but I read somewhere that you could upgrade a Winchester 1897 “C” model to a “D” or “E.” I was looking to find out from people much more knowledgable than me if this was true and if so, how I could do it? I’ve got a 1901 manufactured “C” model and wanted to replace the 3 screw forearm with a newer one. Any information on how this can be done would be greatly appreciated, thanks! 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
February 1, 2020 - 12:59 pm

You are looking for a something that does not exist.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
February 2, 2020 - 12:18 am

cwt said
Hey Winchester folks! I tried searching all over for this but wasn’t able to find anything but I read somewhere that you could upgrade a Winchester 1897 “C” model to a “D” or “E.” I was looking to find out from people much more knowledgable than me if this was true and if so, how I could do it? I’ve got a 1901 manufactured “C” model and wanted to replace the 3 screw forearm with a newer one. Any information on how this can be done would be greatly appreciated, thanks!   

The C model is the last one to have these screws.  You need to find the better screws or forend online or from another gun.  I am not sure who is making Winchester screws anymore or sells replacement wood?  I am not the one to ask how many parts need to be replaced to attach a newer forend without the screws to the older gun.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5054
February 2, 2020 - 3:34 am

Assuming your “C” is original I’m puzzled as to why you’d want to “upgrade” it to something else. In reality a “C” will always be a “C” and I, for one, don’t have a problem with that.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
February 2, 2020 - 6:05 pm

TXGunNut said
Assuming your “C” is original I’m puzzled as to why you’d want to “upgrade” it to something else. In reality a “C” will always be a “C” and I, for one, don’t have a problem with that.  

Walking gun shows I only stop and look at standard 1897’s that have screws.  I realize that these forends crack and the screws do back out sometimes but I like the earlier guns.

Outlaw Gambler
WACA Guest
March 8, 2021 - 2:49 pm

There is a way to upgrade from a three screw forearm to a “solid” non screw forearm for a Winchester 1897, regardless of the model letter, C, D, or E. It entails purchasing an action slide arm with the long tube that has a screw cap on the end. It is also necessary to purchase the non three screw wood. Now you will have the upgrade to the newer model forearm and it is stronger than the three screw wood. Cost could run a couple hundred dollars, give or take.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2348
twobit: 2303