Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 12 VR Question (c. 1962)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Southwestern PA
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 43
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 5, 2022 - 5:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

My apologies to the board – I’m sure this subject has been beaten to death over the years.

I’m looking at a vintage 1919 Model 12 (SN 1876XX) that I’ve only seen a few photos of and I’m wondering if the ventilated rib is one that was put on by Winchester, or was a later Simmons add-on. I will be talking with the owner later today and will see if the rib has any Simmons markings on it, and whether the barrel proof mark is visible or hidden.

In the meantime, I would appreciate any other thoughts or observations.

TIA,

Tom

PS Any thoughts on whether or not the buttstock and forearm look original? I’m guessing replacements, as they don’t look old enough to be from 1919.

Model 12 Ventilated RibImage Enlarger

Model 12 ForearmImage Enlarger

Model 12 GripImage Enlarger

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 5, 2022 - 5:31 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Nice looking shotgun! I’ll be happy to check my Riffle book when I get home. Rib looks right but I don’t know. Will check on the wood also unless someone with a better memory chimes in.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Southwestern PA
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 43
January 5, 2022 - 5:51 pm

My apologies – I had to edit my original post. The serial number indicates a 1919 manufacture, not 1960s. So it appears the gun has been done over.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
January 5, 2022 - 6:28 pm

This site indicates that #187699 was manufacture in 1917?

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 6, 2022 - 2:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Tom-

I believe you may be correct about the update but if the receiver was serialized in 1917 it’s not inconceivable that the shotgun was assembled in 1920 when a rib very similar to yours was used along with an extended forearm. Problem is the forearm used starting in 1920 measured 11 3/8” and yours appears somewhat shorter and is probably at least several years newer than the date the serial number was applied. Not sure about the butt, thinking pistol grip cap may have been added. Some later caps were hard rubber but this one appears to be a light-colored material under the paint. I’m probably wrong but I’d venture a guess that your shotgun was indeed updated at least once, maybe in the 30’s? Some better pics of the ventilated rib and the grip cap may help pin it down a bit better. A good clear photo of the barrel markings would be helpful as well.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Northwest Missouri
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 120
January 6, 2022 - 4:18 am

I do not think Phillips screws (grip cap) were used before 1960 or so.  The magazine tube has the “rough” finish look of a reblue.  Just my opinions. 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter
Guest(s) 194
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261