Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 12 16 gauge 1931 or 1934?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 30, 2018 - 9:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just picked up a 16 gauge Model 12 at a local consignment auction for $175.

SN is 678547, 28″ barrel, full choke. Barrel and receiver marked 2 3/4.  Number near trigger guard is a 24.

Sometime in its former life it had a Williams receiver peep sight and an Uncle Mikes recoil pad added.

So far it has cleaned up ok.  Wood is good, most blueing has gone to greying.  I know it’s nothing special other than a shooter for the boxes of 2 3/4 16 gauge I can’t shoot in my 2 9/16 era 97.

The dating app on this site shows it a 1931 and the Winchester PDF that can be found shows it at 1934.  Doesn’t matter to me on the date, was just looking for something that I knew could shoot 2 3/4.

If anyone is keeping track of this model, please feel free to add it to a survey.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
October 1, 2018 - 2:16 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The polishing room date on this site is correct. That data came from the Cody Firearms Museum.

Reciever sight is curious, have you measured the choke?

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 10
October 1, 2018 - 1:40 pm

Have not measured the choke, just going by the barrel markings and no obvious indications it has been opened up.

The receiver peep site is a Williams (FP-12/37 maybe?) an looks like it has been there quite a while.

Also pretty sure the front sight is not original.  It is a brass bead sight but looks taller.  Certainly taller than the one on my 97.

Maybe changed out to make up for the higher receiver sight?  The bead has a flat (painted white) that faces the shooter.  It does make it jump out a bit.

Possibly one of the reasons I got it for what I did, besides being a 16, is that the barrel band had slipped out of position and was loose between the barrel notches and the receiver.  Couldn’t rack the slide far enough forward to take it down.  Barrel looked good through a bore light and who am I to tell competitive bidders it is a 2 minute fix with a screwdriver.

Only rust I found was in the take down barrel and slide threads.  Not much and a brass brush and a few drops of Hoppes took care of that.

Not sure what the going rate is for a 87 year old 16 gauge working shotgun, but I don’t feel bad at 175 OTD and better yet, no paperwork. Laugh

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
October 1, 2018 - 9:36 pm

I think you did well, congrats! My thinking was that the receiver sight was to facilitate using slugs and it’s my understanding slugs don’t work well with full chokes. I bought a takedown rifle at an auction a few years back, someone who didn’t know what they were doing tried to take it down shortly before bidding began and didn’t get it back together right. I had to repair the extractor and do some other minor repairs but I didn’t have much in the way of competitive bids.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6381
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346