Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Family heirloom 1893 shotgun
Avatar
bioprofsd
Member
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 13
Member Since:
September 7, 2010
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
September 27, 2013 - 8:09 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

A bittersweet development has taken place in my family. My dad passed away last Thursday, and I flew out to the funeral in Oregon this week. He left my brother and I approximately 50 firearms, mostly modern centerfire rifles. Among them is a Winchester model 1893 shotgun that was supposedly owned by his great grandfather. The serial number is 6251 which I believe was made in the first year of production. Unfortunately, the receiver has been reblued. The barrel might also be refinished, but I can’t tell for sure. It looks like it is in pretty good shape, although I probably won’t fire it, even with low-base cartridges.

There was also a pre-64 model 1894 eastern carbine and a model 12 shotgun in 16 gauge in one of his two safes. I will have to wait until next summer to take possession of them though, as I flew out to the funeral this week. Below are some pictures of the model 1893.






Avatar
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14760
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2
September 27, 2013 - 9:59 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My condolences on the passing of your father.

The serial number on your Model 1893 does appear to be 6251. It was manufactured in November of 1893.

It most definitely has been refinished.

You should not attemt to fire it with any modern 12-ga shells, as it was designed for black powder, and for a maximum shell length of 2-5/8".

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
Kirk Durston
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 893
Member Since:
June 11, 2014
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
September 28, 2013 - 11:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Even though it has been refinished, it is a connection with the past to hold a shotgun once used by your great grandfather. Even better, sitting in the bullrushes waiting for some ducks knowing that your great grandfather once did the very same thing with the very same shotgun. That is the kind of stuff that I love.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: Rat Rod Mac, epoletna, [email protected], Loren
Guest(s) 148
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7640
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6867
steve004: 5845
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3066
twobit: 2739
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2518
Zebulon: 2391
Newest Members:
Barry59
Bear
Anthony Eisenlohr
kik595
DavidM
skilsaw7.25
Kevin Paradis
Vny777
Brick767
Steve72
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16290
Posts: 149093

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 10979
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation