Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1942 Model 12 riot sling swivels
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 16, 2019 - 2:59 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hello Everyone,

I found this site while trying to find info on my new-to-me Model 12 riot gun. The gun came from the collection of a gentleman who is now deceased. His widow says he bought it from a retired Saint Paul police officer (no PD marking on gun). Serial number is 937,4XX. The riot gun has front and rear sling swivels and I’m trying to figure out if these are factory Winchester pieces, or something else. After much searching in the internet I was able to find one other Model 12 riot gun with the same swivels. It also happens to be from 1942. Thanks for any help.

sling swivelImage Enlarger

rear sling swivelImage Enlarger

Auction of other M12 with swivels:

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/7880690

Thanks again.

Tom Doniphon
WACA Guest
March 17, 2019 - 6:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Your photos do not show up.  Can you try to re-post them?

Your Model 12 is a pretty low number for a WW2 military shotgun.  Does the receiver have the US and Ordnance bomb mark on it?   Does the barrel have an Ordnance bomb on the top rear?  And does the stock have a cartouche?

There are only a very few WW2 Model 12 riot guns that have factory sling swivels and, if I recall correctly, these went to a National Guard Unit.  There were also some Model 12s that had sling swivels added to them as part of a rebuild program.  All of these will have martial markings on them.

By the way, the Model 12 on Gunauction is not a military shotgun.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
March 18, 2019 - 4:29 pm

For some reason I can open and view the photos but can’t view them with my normal software once copied to my desktop?  How about now? 

swiv.jpgImage EnlargerSwivel.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
March 18, 2019 - 10:48 pm

Thanks Chuck for getting my pictures on here. Seems every gun forum I belong to has a different way of posting pictures. Eventually I’ll learn.

Tom, my Model 12 is pre-military contract. No US markings on it. It came from/thru a law enforcement agency. Just trying to learn as much as I can about what I have.

Thanks.

P.S. Just found the same front swivel on an Ohio Army National Guard 1897 that was manufactured in 1941. So I now know these are actual Winchester items. Also, this site dates my Model 12 as 1941, other sites put it at 1942.

Sussex WI
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 40
March 23, 2019 - 10:48 am

I have a model 12 riot serial number 955xxx that has the older single post rear swivel with the typical front barrel band swivel….no military marks…..go figure….Confused

gunut.....

WACA Guest
March 24, 2019 - 3:46 am

Gunut,

I wouldn’t call them “typical”. In Bruce Canfield’s book about combat shot guns (2007) he states “Unlike the M97, there are no known M12 riot guns with factory installed sling swivels.” Then on the next page shows a picture of two M12 riot guns, one without swivels and one with. If your’s has the same sling swivels, that would make three so far that I know of. All three are/were in the mid-west, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. I’ve also been told that these riot guns were used for security at defense contractors (Boeing, Chrysler, Ford, munitions plants, etc).

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: long spur hollow, keith shaffer, Kris Miller
Guest(s) 11
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6394
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263