Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1915 Model 12, original or not?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 25, 2018 - 3:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hey, first time here since I don’t yet own a Winchester. That might change however, depending on whether this model 12 checks out. So far I’ve found that the serial dates it to 1915 but that’s it. What I am concerned about is the muzzle. I haven’t yet found another model 12 like it and wonder if the barrel has been cut to 20″ and added the extra thickness.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wbcf9i55nAnSgUaJW4-EJ4sxw3TNBsV6/view?usp=drivesdk

Another thing is the two indents at the lower front of the barrel. The owner claims is for a bayonet lug but again I haven’t seen its like.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ILLyb8ZQUjxviJsBL86_ekstUflZyd-C/view?usp=drivesdk

Anyone able to shed some light on this? It would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Jan

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
January 26, 2018 - 7:01 am

Welcome!

Doesn’t look right to me but I’m only familiar with a trap gun of similar vintage. I’d say keep looking if you want an original Model 12, I believe the seller is wrong in his bayonet lug assertions but I think you already suspect as much.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Tom Doniphon
WACA Guest
January 26, 2018 - 5:00 pm

If it actually dates to 1915 manufacture, then it’s not a real trench gun.  For starters, I don’t believe there are any known WW1 Model 12 trench guns.  Notwithstanding that, the bayonet adaptor/heat shield used on these guns was not designed until two years later in 1917. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
January 26, 2018 - 9:41 pm

Those cuts in the bbl. are real, but way to far back for a handguard. Check the bbl. date. I doubt I would touch this gun.   Big Larry

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hockett, mrcvs, Woody P, Chris Scott, Paul K, DanTomGreg
Guest(s) 192
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263