Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
1897 Winchester Antique Question
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 21, 2017 - 8:55 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hello. I have a brush, 12 gauge, 26 inch, cyc marked 1897, serial number 58997. Most of the finish is gone. Can someone tell me what year this shotgun was made and am I correct that it is a brush model. Are they worth more or less than other models. I want a riot model but this one came up first. Also, when I contacted the ATF to confirm that this unit was made prior to 1897, my emailed response was that since the records don’t exist, they would have to consider this modern. I sent this email some time ago, it was my understanding that Cody can confirm the date. Do I need to send in a Cody letter and will they accept it?

Thanks

Tom Doniphon
WACA Guest
October 21, 2017 - 10:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The ATF response is not correct.  Winchester factory records for that shotgun do exist.  Cody will have both the Winchester serial number application records as well as the Winchester warehouse records for it.  Your 1897 was serialized in 1898.  

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
October 22, 2017 - 12:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

David Whiteman said
Hello. I have a brush, 12 gauge, 26 inch, cyc marked 1897, serial number 58997. Most of the finish is gone. Can someone tell me what year this shotgun was made and am I correct that it is a brush model. Are they worth more or less than other models. I want a riot model but this one came up first. Also, when I contacted the ATF to confirm that this unit was made prior to 1897, my emailed response was that since the records don’t exist, they would have to consider this modern. I sent this email some time ago, it was my understanding that Cody can confirm the date. Do I need to send in a Cody letter and will they accept it?

Thanks  

David,

Yes, it is a Brush Gun.  Generally speaking, a verified Brush Gun is worth approximately 50% more than an otherwise identical Field grade gun.

Can you please forward the email response you received from the BATF to me…  [email protected]

As Tom stated, the CFM records office has both the serialization records, and the factory warehouse ledger records, both of which will confirm that your Brush Gun was manufactured late in the year 1898, which positively proves that it is a bona fide “antique” per the current Federal regulations.

There is no reason why you would need to send anything (the CFM factory letter) to the BATF.  From a legal standpoint, Yes, the BATF (or any law enforcement agency for that matter) would be compelled to accept the information contained on the factory letter.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
October 22, 2017 - 12:10 pm

Thank you both for your reply’s. Bert, I will forward you the email I received. After review, please let me know what you think. Thanks again. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
October 22, 2017 - 5:12 pm

David Whiteman said
Thank you both for your reply’s. Bert, I will forward you the email I received. After review, please let me know what you think. Thanks again.   

David,

I received your email, and replied with a detailed response.  I put the BATF on copy to the message I sent you.  It will be interesting to see if they reply… I certainly hope that they do.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: mrcvs, 86Win
Guest(s) 242
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055