Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 41
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 25, 2020 - 3:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

My son just got me a sweet 1887 12 ga 41488 is it worth getting a Letter(never got one) I would never sell it but just for info and how far should I clean stock and surface rust or not at all.   the barrel is smooth. Do You have to shoot black powder shells or can it handle bird shot. 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
December 25, 2020 - 6:23 am

Jim-

IMHO your 1887 should NOT be fired with modern ammunition. A 12ga 2 3/4” shell will likely fit Your chamber but your shotgun was chambered for the 12ga  2 5/8’’ black powder shell. A modern smokeless powder shell will not have room to open fully in the shorter chamber, the resulting constriction and the higher pressures of smokeless powder will combine to result in a disastrous situation. It probably won’t happen the first time, but you will notice more recoil than you expected. It may not happen the 20th or even the hundredth time you pull the trigger but someday it will happen and your face will be mere inches from a catastrophic failure of a metallic structure. I don’t know about you but that’s not somewhere I want to be. 

I think shells may be available for you shotgun and I know shells can be loaded to the proper length and pressure. Please don’t fire this shotgun with modern ammo.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10854
December 25, 2020 - 6:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Black powder or low pressure smokeless are what should be used.  That stated, the bigger issue is the shell length.  The Model 1887 was designed for a maximum 2-⅝” length shell.  It is unsafe to shoot it with modern 2-¾” (or longer) 12-ga shells.

In regards to cleaning it, any active rust should be dealt with, but do nothing more than that to the steel.  If you do not know how to neutralize and remove the rust, let me know.  You can clean the stocks with any quality wood furniture cleaning oil.  

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
December 25, 2020 - 6:33 am

Jim-

Sorry, neglected to answer your other questions. Yes, a Cody letter could prove interesting. I would hold off on the cleaning until you post pics. Sometimes cleaning is a bad idea, if you’ll post good pics we may be able to provide some guidance. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
December 25, 2020 - 3:50 pm

Thanks does any one were I can order shells. I will post pictures and work getting a letter were is best to start.would like to know best thing to do with rust Bert 

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 26, 2020 - 4:41 am

Contact via email at [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
December 26, 2020 - 8:19 pm

Under normal circumstances these can be ordered but I’m not aware who may have some IN stock.

If you reload you can load your own.

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 26, 2020 - 8:25 pm

RST has what you need – 12 Gauge (rstshells.com)

WACA Member
December 26, 2020 - 8:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thanks Bert.  I could use some for my 2-5/8″ 10 ga.  I might buy some 2-7/8″ to test the length.   You know that the 2-7/8″ brass will not slip into my 1887 but 2-5/8″ does.  I have never tried a plastic or paper case.

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 26, 2020 - 8:38 pm

Chuck said
Thanks Bert.  I could use some for my 2-5/8″ 10 ga.  I might buy some 2-7/8″ to test the length.   You know that the 2-7/8″ brass will not slip into my 1887 but 2-5/8″ does.  I have never tried a plastic or paper case.  

You are welcome.  I have purchased the 2-1/2″ 16-ga shells for my early production Model 1897.

WACA Guest
December 26, 2020 - 11:02 pm

Pictures

WACA Member
December 28, 2020 - 7:10 pm

After seeing the pictures I would clean the wood and oil the metal.  To clean the wood you can use a rag and soapy water, just not soaked with water or buy some good furniture polish/cleaner.  I can’t recommend which one but others can.  Then oil the wood and wipe off any excess.  Allow the oil to absorb into the wood.  If you see dry spots ad more oil.  Oils go a long way on either the wood or metal so use it sparingly.

To clean the metal use a gun oil and a rag.  Don’t use an abrasive of any type unless you have a lot of experience doing this.  Then report what it looks like.  Nothing you can do to remove pits but bad rust can be stabilized.

WACA Guest
December 28, 2020 - 7:43 pm

Would kroil be ok to soften it up. or not really and would hurt if it got on wood. There is a little looks like Harden Grease I guess , on top action. Not munch I thought kroil might take it off.the rust isn’t bad at all. I ordered some shells today from RST

Kingston, WA
Admin
December 28, 2020 - 9:24 pm

Bayoujim said
Would kroil be ok to soften it up. or not really and would hurt if it got on wood. There is a little looks like Harden Grease I guess , on top action. Not munch I thought kroil might take it off.the rust isn’t bad at all. I ordered some shells today from RST  

Kroil is perfectly fine on the steel, but not on the wood.

WACA Member
December 29, 2020 - 2:52 am

Almost any oil on the wood is not bad in small amounts.  Just wipe off the excess.  I’ve used so many different oils I couldn’t list them al. l Kroil and WD 40 are 2 that are almost always on my work bench and in a pinch I have used them both.  Everyone has there favorites and that in it’s self proves there is no best choice.

I’m not aware of anyone that has ever used an oil that did damage.  I don’t mean letting excess oil soak for years.  A lot of wives tales out there.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hockett, mrcvs, Jim McKee, TR
Guest(s) 35
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6389
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261