Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1895 in 35 WCF
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4566
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 1, 2020 - 5:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have the above gun and it shoots at least a foot high @ 100 yds.  When I bought the gun it had non factory sights front and rear. I’ve tried 2 different rear sights even without the elevators but it still shoots high.  I have looked at the muzzle area under magnification.  I did not remove the front sight but it appears to be about .375″ tall from the bottom of the entire site to the top.  The sight looks like a Marbles/Sheard but it is not marked.  Probably a reproduction.  See page 216 of Rob and Brad’s book.  I see on page 200 there are 2 sights that appear taller.   Again I have not pulled mine off and measured it.  #21C .381″ might be taller?  #21H .435″ and 21F .486″ might help my problem? 

How hard would it be to find any of these?  How much does muzzle velocity effect the drop at this yardage?  If I lowered the speed by 100 to 200 fps could that help?  I have chronographed enough loads to know what I need to do to drop the fps.  I have tested 3 different powders.  2 of them I’m just under 2,200 fps and the other just over 2,200 fps.  The books show the standard as 2,290 fps with the 250 gr bullet. All loads are below this fps.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 564
April 2, 2020 - 5:18 am

Chuck,  I have an 1895 in .35 caliber with an after market Marbles/Sheard front sight.  It is brighter blue than the lug and barrel, plus I can see the small edge of metal turned up where it was driven home.  It is taller than what yours is, but I did not measure it. It approaches a half inch, tho, from the bottom of the base to the top of the area for the bead.  I would suggest you need a taller front sight, if you can find one that has the finish you desire to go with the finish of your lug and barrel.  Tim

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 564
April 2, 2020 - 3:29 pm

Chuck, A little more info now that I have had an opportunity.  My Marbles/Sheard front sight measures in the vicinity of 0.462 or so.  The reason for the “or so” is the measurement is for the sight in the lug base and is measured on a slant, if you will, to the top of the blade from the bottom of the sight insert.  Not a way for greatest precision.  For what it is worth, I do not shoot this rifle, as I have plenty of others to shoot.  The fellow I got it from DID shoot it, a fair amount, using factory ammo.  It supposedly was sighted in for him at 100 yards with the sights as are on it.  The rear barrel sight is I believe original to the rifle.  Hope this helps with your intents and efforts.  Tim

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
April 2, 2020 - 5:44 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Definitely try a taller front sight and maybe slow it down a little bit to see if that helps.  Had the same problem with my 1894 38-55 with 30″ barrel that shot 14″ high at 100 yrds.  Used a taller Marble/Sheard front sight and tang sight to get it to come down.  Even with the rear sight elevator removed it still shot high.  The tang sight was the way to go.  

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 201
April 2, 2020 - 6:07 pm

Not to steal thread, but while on the subject of 35 WCF – Can anyone recommend where or who to buy from????

WACA Member
April 2, 2020 - 6:35 pm

tim tomlinson said
Chuck,  I have an 1895 in .35 caliber with an after market Marbles/Sheard front sight.  It is brighter blue than the lug and barrel, plus I can see the small edge of metal turned up where it was driven home.  It is taller than what yours is, but I did not measure it. It approaches a half inch, tho, from the bottom of the base to the top of the area for the bead.  I would suggest you need a taller front sight, if you can find one that has the finish you desire to go with the finish of your lug and barrel.  Tim  

You can see my rifle on page 271 #38909. Very good condition but the sight is in better condition.  Guys I know I need a taller front sight.  Finding one is the problem.  Sorry, since I have so much time on my hands I need to remove and measure what I have.  I don’t know how much taller to go???

Jerry, I don’t know where to get an 1895 other than you need to go to the better collector shows and let the dealers know you are looking for one.  I stumbled on my first one at a major auction I was attending.  I’m sure there were some in Vegas but I did not pay any attention to them.  What state do you live in?  We here on the West Coast are all hoping that the Denver and Cody shows don’t get cancelled or rescheduled again.

WACA Guest
April 2, 2020 - 6:45 pm

Thanks Chuck, but I was referring to the ammo!! I have a line on a very nice 1895 that I’ve been reluctant to buy due to ammo availability/cost. I don’t have the tools or expertise to reload – maybe yet another hobby in retirement. Laugh

WACA Member
April 2, 2020 - 7:18 pm

Sorry, I was thinking you wanted a gun.  My comments about the major shows still stands.  There is always a lot of ammo for sale at the shows. There are a few ammo dealers that are at all the major shows.  You can check the auction sites.  Make sure you know exactly what you are looking for, get pictures and give them a call.  35 WCF ammo came out about 1903. If you don’t have Ray Giles and Dan Shuey’s book you need to buy it if you plan to buy other Winchester boxes in the future.

The earliest box is red then the next one is orange.  Both of these have the cartridge picture on the side of the top piece of the box. Later boxes have the cartridge picture on the side of the bottom piece of the box. There are variations for both but orange has a lot more. 

The less rare boxes in very good condition run from $100 to $200.  I you are diligent you might be able to find brass for sale.  Loading tools are also hard to get since RCBS won’t make less desirable sets anymore.  Bullets are not a problem. I get mine from Hornady. 

https://www.rtgammo.com/

Great Basin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 490
April 3, 2020 - 1:51 am

foxfire said
Thanks Chuck, but I was referring to the ammo!! I have a line on a very nice 1895 that I’ve been reluctant to buy due to ammo availability/cost. I don’t have the tools or expertise to reload – maybe yet another hobby in retirement. Laugh  

Foxfire – Try Buffalo Arms.  They list three options for 35 WCF ammo.  Currently they are showing both a 200 grain and a 250 grain loading in stock:

https://www.buffaloarms.com/35-winchester-loaded-ammo-200-grain-rn-sp-box-of-20-amo35win3

https://www.buffaloarms.com/35-winchester-loaded-ammo-250-grain-woodleigh-rn-sp-box-of-20-amo35win

I have used their 35 WCF with a 250 grain Hornady jacketed bullet.  It shoots extremely well through my 1904 vintage 1895. In fact, it shoots well enough that I have not felt the need to work up my own loads for it.  Unfortunately, they are showing that particular ammo as being currently out of stock.

BTW, Chuck.  The front sight on my 35 WCF is a Lyman #3 ivory bead that stands about .410″ tall coupled with a Lyman #21 receiver sight set one notch from the bottom.  It shoots 2″ high at 100 yards with the Buffalo Arms 35 WCF 250 grain ammo I mentioned above.  

I also have a Deluxe 1895 in 35 WCF with a shorter .310″ Lyman #3 front sight and a 22-B rear sight.  I haven’t shot it, so that’s probably not much help.  If the weather improves over the next couple of days, I may take a few shots with it and report back.  I’m always looking for excuses to shoot a rifle I’ve never fired Wink Mark

Northwest Missouri
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 120
April 3, 2020 - 1:57 am

OWS has 3 boxes of 250 grain cartridges available-not inexpensive.

https://www.ows-ammo.com/35-winchester-250gr-sp

Proxibid has some occasionally, I purchased a box of Jamison 250 grain several years ago for $25, plus the premium and shipping.  

I hope this is helpful. 

WACA Guest
April 3, 2020 - 1:01 pm

Thanks guys!! Very helpful.

WACA Member
April 3, 2020 - 5:23 pm

foxfire said
Thanks guys!! Very helpful.  

I probably should of asked if you were looking for shooter ammo or collectable.

WACA Member
April 3, 2020 - 5:45 pm

Update on my rifle.  Got the arbor press the other day.  I put it together yesterday.  I took the 95 out in the garage and tried to beat the sight off.  No luck. Tried using the press. No luck.  Gun has been soaking in Kroil.  I am going to spray the gun daily and let it soak for a few more days before I try again. I am not sure if I ever used a copper solvent on this barrel so I might try some near the muzzle end.

Brad, if I get this sight off would a standard sporting sight from another model work on this gun? 

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6280
April 3, 2020 - 10:11 pm

Chuck said
Tried using the press. No luck.

If that failed, it must be rusted in place.  You’ve tried a propane torch?  If that doesn’t work, esp. after the Kroil treatment, I’d either live with that sight as is, or accept that it’s going to have to be destroyed to remove it.  The obvious way to get the elevation adjustment you need is with a tang sight, but to use one most effectively, you’ve got to remove the barrel sight anyway. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
April 3, 2020 - 11:05 pm

Chuck, which numbered rear sight and elevator do you have on your rifle?

James

WACA Member
April 4, 2020 - 1:45 am

James I don’t know what the number is.  It is the standard sporting rear sight with the adjustable leaf with screw.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
April 4, 2020 - 2:45 am

Chuck said
James I don’t know what the number is.  It is the standard sporting rear sight with the adjustable leaf with screw.  

The reason I asked is that Stroebel states that the 22H with 1B elevator and Lyman #3 w/1/16″ bead, .0.345-inch high would be for the .35 WCF.  

He then indicates that earlier rifles with the 22H or E or 24B Sporting Rear Sight, that used the dovetai front sight, that a 21F Sporting Front Sight would be the standard.  He did not mention a particular caliber in this sub-paragraph.  

James

Added:  Madis notes that the 21C was a substitute for the Lyman #3 for the 1895, among other models.

Forum Posts: 956
April 4, 2020 - 12:21 pm

Hi Chuck

I don’t know what your hold and rest set up is from the bench, or what others doing.  I’ve had a ’95 that hit several inches higher or lower at just fifty yards depending on how I changed my rest and hold, all other things being equal with the load and my point of aim.  Maybe the particular bullet you are using is also hitting higher than another might hit as well.

It sounds like you have your rear sight as low as possible.  I guess you’d also try what others have already suggested: put on a taller front sight and/or lower your velocity.  Everything I’ve seen from the actual factory records says 21-D for the 35 WCF.  You can see drawings and dimensions for them on page 200 of the ’95 book or also in the Madis sight book.  The Sporting Front sights should all be for 3/8-inch dovetails as far as I know.  I believe the Lyman sights would have only been standard for your configuration in late production.  Maybe others have/other more information.  I hope that helps.

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

WACA Member
April 4, 2020 - 7:22 pm

Brad Dunbar said
Hi Chuck

I don’t know what your hold and rest set up is from the bench, or what others doing.  I’ve had a ’95 that hit several inches higher or lower at just fifty yards depending on how I changed my rest and hold, all other things being equal with the load and my point of aim.  Maybe the particular bullet you are using is also hitting higher than another might hit as well.

It sounds like you have your rear sight as low as possible.  I guess you’d also try what others have already suggested: put on a taller front sight and/or lower your velocity.  Everything I’ve seen from the actual factory records says 21-D for the 35 WCF.  You can see drawings and dimensions for them on page 200 of the ’95 book or also in the Madis sight book.  The Sporting Front sights should all be for 3/8-inch dovetails as far as I know.  I believe the Lyman sights would have only been standard for your configuration in late production.  Maybe others have/other more information.  I hope that helps.  

Thanks Brad.  I was looking at your book when I made my first post.  Would a 73, 86, 92, or 94 sporting front sight fit if I could find out what height I need?  I know the dovetail is the same.  When I shoot lever guns I use a very heavy front stand with pads and a bag for the rear so I can work the lever.

Forum Posts: 956
April 5, 2020 - 12:09 pm

Hi Chuck

If you are changing it for shooting, anything that you like with the same dovetail size should work.  

Regards

Brad Dunbar

http://1895book.com/

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 103
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4968