Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Finally, some meat on the table with the 348!
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 24, 2013 - 5:32 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Rick Hill said
Matt:

Great gun, great story and results! Can I twist your arm for a doing a page for the Winchester Calendar next year? We always need contributors and with your photo skills it would be a welcome addition.

You can just send photos and a short write-up to [email protected] and she will see that the page gets composed properly.

Thanks,

Rick,

As you know, I already sent a contribution for the 2014 calendar. Do you mean for the 2015 edition? Of course, it wouldn’t take much to twist my arm.

Matt

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 855
October 24, 2013 - 5:39 pm

Matt74 said
… nothing better than Hoppes #9. Win 38-55 has a real addiction to that stuff too.

That is true! One whiff of Hoppes #9 and I’m in a time warp somewhere in the early 1900’s. If only they made a woman’s perfume with that fragrance.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 92
October 25, 2013 - 2:41 pm

Matt,
Nice moose, Nice old rifle too, and camp. Are gang was lucky enough to bag a small bull with the compound bows in northern Ontario late September. good luck with deer hunt.
Bruce

Aim Small ,Miss Small

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 837
October 25, 2013 - 2:55 pm

28 gauge said
I always favoured silvertip bullets in my hunting Winchesters.Had an uncle who was a pretty good deer hunter and he always used silvertips in his Winchester Model 94 .30-30 carbine .Its too bad that the silvertip bullet as we knew it is no longer manufactured by Winchester.

matt I am sure that Ruger is a nice rifle.What grain bullet are you using in it?I have a friend who has a Savage .250.He uses the heaver bullet.

Yes, the Model 71 is heavy,no queston about that,but a nice rifle just the same.When I use to go deer hunting I always still hunted.Never bagged one over bait.Sometimes before the end of a woods cruse that Model 71 seemed to be a little heavier that it really was. 🙂

I don’t reload so all I have been able to find for the 250 Savage is Remington 100 grain Core Lokt. Does the trick. Would be a good candidate for reloading if I ever find the time to get into it.

On the Silvertips, I have never used them on Deer, only the moose. I have heard different people mention not liking them for lighter – thinner skinned game – like deer. Seems they often cruise right on through and implode on the other end. I can’t speak to it personally, just what I have heard from some old timers, and have read some negative reviews of Winchester’s 250 Savage Silvertip, about bullet breaking up, etc.

Matt

My friend always uses the 100 grain silvertips in his Savage rifle.Never heard him or any one else saying anything bad about that bullet.He however does not like the lighter 87 grain bullet.

Never had any trouble with the silvertips I have used on game nor do I know of any one else for that matter who had trouble. 🙂

When I first started hunting the two bullets usually found in use in the deer woods in my area were the Winchester Silvertip and the Imperial Kling-Kor.

"road king"
WACA Guest
October 25, 2013 - 3:50 pm

Matt74 said
… nothing better than Hoppes #9. Win 38-55 has a real addiction to that stuff too.

That is true! One whiff of Hoppes #9 and I’m in a time warp somewhere in the early 1900’s. If only they made a woman’s perfume with that fragrance.

Every gun room and car should have one of these. 😀

http://s517.photobucket.com/user/RoadKing1998/media/Hoppes/DSC04221_zpse97f1eb1.jpg.html

DSC04221_zpse97f1eb1.jpgImage Enlarger

http://www.hoppes.com/cleaning-accessories/hoppe-s-no-9-air-freshener

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
October 25, 2013 - 7:54 pm

RK,

Have we discussed your high-wall with the CCST yet?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

"road king"
WACA Guest
October 26, 2013 - 3:33 am

Bert H. said
RK,

Have we discussed your high-wall with the CCST yet?

Bert

Yes we have Bert, it’s the one in my signature line.
Brian

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
October 26, 2013 - 12:07 pm

Meanea said
Matt
I hope you stand closer to your razor when you get home. Nice pics!!
Meanea

Andrew, those photos were taken 10 days ago. You think that is bad, I still have not shaved. I may keep it on a few more weeks until after the deer hunt. If I can take the itching that long!

Matt

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
October 26, 2013 - 12:10 pm

Matt74 said

Every gun room and car should have one of these. 😀

http://s517.photobucket.com/user/RoadKing1998/media/Hoppes/DSC04221_zpse97f1eb1.jpg.html

DSC04221_zpse97f1eb1.jpgImage Enlarger

http://www.hoppes.com/cleaning-accessories/hoppe-s-no-9-air-freshener

Oh my God, I need to get some of that. What a great gift too. Brian, did you order yours online or do they sell them up here as well? I have not seen them locally.

Matt

Matt

"road king"
WACA Guest
October 26, 2013 - 12:22 pm

Matt, can’t remember for sure where I got the Hoppe’s air freshener, 🙄 I think they might have been giving them out at the Shot Show a few years ago.

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
October 29, 2013 - 6:31 pm

Nice looking moose there Matt–Congrats.
As for the beard, down here in south Texas my buddies and I kinda have a tradition of letting the beards grow long and not shaving or trimming during deer season until we get our buck, or the season ends. The itching after a while seems to get you a little more motivated.
Chris

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4596