Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
315 thou projectiles for 32 20
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 16
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 21, 2020 - 2:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I have been reloading for 32 20 for a year or 2 now and couldn’t get my regular polymer coated cast projectiles. There is a locally based commercial projectile caster but 32 20 wasn’t on his product list, I called him and he said he could do them. He asked me to measure my current ones = 314 thou. I have the new batch, polymer coated but the coating looks thinner than the original ones and measure 315 thou. They loaded in to the cases OK over 4 grains of AP70N (= Universal or Unique).

The specifications talk about projectiles between 212 and 214 thou. It is in a model 53 lever gun from 1925. They feed through the action fine.

What do you all think? Should I load em up & pull the trigger?

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
July 21, 2020 - 3:45 am

Orthoshep said

What do you all think? Should I load em up & pull the trigger?  

Absolutely, & I’ll be surprised if you don’t get better accuracy than with the smaller bullets.

WACA Member
July 24, 2020 - 2:37 am

Great, thanks. I just hesitated as it was new territory for me.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 856
July 28, 2020 - 9:53 pm

.315 will be no problem but, on another topic, do I have your Model 53 in the Model 53 survey? At this point, I have 933 surviving Model 53’s in the survey. I would love to add your rifle to the survey (need serial number, frame type (takedown or solid), and any other special features). You can reach me at [email protected]

WACA Member
July 30, 2020 - 2:03 am

Hi Kirk, I expect you do. Serial 3741, you commented on it when I posted photos of it a year ago.

WACA Member
July 30, 2020 - 2:33 am

Yes, it is in the survey. Thank you again! Let us know how accurate those bullets are when you get a chance to try them out.

WACA Member
August 6, 2020 - 2:15 am

Here it is. 1 & 1/4″ group at 25 metres. If I practiced, I might be able to do a bit better. Only 7 rounds with the new bullets, just test loads really, but they are going well enough.20200805_165234.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6395
August 7, 2020 - 1:49 am

Orthoshep said
Here it is. 1 & 1/4″ group at 25 metres. If I practiced, I might be able to do a bit better. Only 7 rounds with the new bullets, just test loads really, but they are going well enough.20200805_165234.jpgImage Enlarger  

Keep working at it–3 shots really doesn’t make much of a “group,” statistically speaking.  Until the ’50s or thereabouts the standard was 10 shots, but that somehow shrank to 5 shots in most current testing.  (Think NRA tests may still use the 10 shot standard.)  1-1/4″ is about what you should expect at 50 yds, & that would only be so-so, nothing to rave about.  My .32-20 HW will shoot about 2 MOA, & that’s nothing to brag about either.

WACA Member
August 7, 2020 - 8:21 pm

Were you shooting from some sort of rest? It doesn’t have to be fancy–I use my shooting bag. As Clarence mentioned, it is hard to tell from just three shots. I like a minimum of 5 shots, done a few times and then I can stack the targets, hold them up to the light, and get an idea of how 10 or 15 shot groups look. For most of my leverguns, I do my testing at 100 yards, but for the 32-20, I’m more interested in 50 yard groups. If you could get your 50 yard groups down to under 2″ (five shot groups) then you’d have something usable for small game hunting. A five-shot, 1-inch group at 50 yards would be something to aim for.

WACA Member
August 10, 2020 - 3:29 am

I have access to an indoor range which is 25 metres and only 6 blocks from where I work. To shoot out doors is a 45 minute drive. I had loaded 7 rounds with the new bullets, then ran out of empty cases. The first 3 were to convince myself that I wasn’t going to blow anything up (on the target but not in the image posted), then the 3 you see here, then the last one, well, because I could. All the shooting was off a bench rest but the bench is very uncomfortable and the light was poor. The range is set up as a pistol range and I usually use it to practice offhand. A lot of the spread is due to operator error. It is also shooting a bit to the right. I had considered adjusting the sights but haven’t actually done it. The sights have signs of significant previous adjustment, I suspect due to a barrel bulge I had fixed before I shot it the first time, and my fixing of the barrel bulge has altered the point of impact.Considered fitting a tang sight too.

As I shoot off my rounds loaded with the old bullets, they will be reloaded with the new ones. The rifle is mostly used for a Gallery Rifle comp but with Covid and being dropped off their email list I haven’t shot it for a few months.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Big Larry, Darrin Smith, Troy Banks
Guest(s) 202
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263