Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
California
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 486
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 22, 2018 - 3:00 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I think I read something about recoil pads for the 1886’s a long while ago, but need some help.

I have a 1886 45-90 rifle with a cresent butt plate. Does anyone have a recoil solution without messing with the stock or plate ?

Closest I can come to a solution is the Pacmayr pad, but not a perfect fit,  I really don’t want to mess up the stock.

Any help appreciated.

Bill

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 591
September 22, 2018 - 11:17 am

Bill,

Years ago I took some soft pine wood and cut it to fit the inside of the curve of a crescent buttplate.  A little work with a carving chisel and I also scooped it out to fit the side to side curve.  When I shoot a heavy recoiling Winchester with crescent butt I slip the wood “filler” on and put a slip on pad over that to hold the insert in place.  NOT a true “shotgun” butt, but it does definitely help.  It does not change the rifle any, and I have not done any damage to my rifles in which I have used such.  Blue masking tape could be used to help assure it is held in place as the slip on boot is slipped on.  Another aid is to use the slip on your shoulder, gel filled recoil shield.  Without either or both of the above, a heavy recoiling, crescent shaped butt equipped rifle has me bruised where the toe and the heel of the buttplate hit, as nothing in between is supported on my shoulder.  I can shoot my 1895 in .405 with crescent this way.

Tim

California
WACA Member
September 22, 2018 - 1:30 pm

Tim,

Thanks for the solution you’ve used. I thought some type of filler would be the answer, but the exact way was in question.

I like the pine idea and will get at it today. I am still wearing the bruise you spoke of from last week.  Going out shooting again mid week and hope to have thos done.  I was surprised by the recoil when I was shooting last week, and thought about past Forum posts talking about it. Do you remember the size pad you used ?

I sold one of my 50-100-450’s and had planned to shoot it prior to the sale. Glad I didn’t !!!

Thanks again,

Bill

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5054
September 22, 2018 - 4:24 pm

The PAST wearable recoil pads are thick enough for most rifles and the new magnum pads are probably thick enough for the curve of a rifle butt plate attached to a thumper like yours. I’ve also learned they harden with age, my 10-15 yr old pad is much firmer than my new one.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 591
September 23, 2018 - 2:34 am

Bill and Mike,

First, no, I don’t know the size boot I use.  It is an old leather boot that fits the regular rifle butts fairly well.  Had it a long time and it also gets use on other things as needed.  

I am a believer in the PAST shields. Have used my magnum one for many a year and would hesitate to use some of what I shoot at silhouettes without it.  I had not thought of the gel getting hard, but it may have.  However, it still does the job.  A shot now and then without it is OK for some of the big recoiling boys, but standing on the line and shooting 16 to 20 shots at a time, yeah, it is worth it!

Tim

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5054
September 23, 2018 - 3:53 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Tim-

I honestly don’t know how old my original PAST pad may be but when I received my new magnum pad a few years back the difference was remarkable. I honestly don’t know how riflemen of previous generations found the curvature of the rifle butt plate comfortable but suffice it to say they were tougher than we are.

My magnum pad is only a few years old and it has proved invaluable with my 71, a couple of 35 Whelens and the odd 45-70’s and 45-90 that have found a home here. As a trap and skeet shooter I try to avoid unnecessary jarring, lol. I can’t wear the PAST when shooting trap or skeet, can’t get a consistent mount. If the weather clears I have an appointment with a 35 Whelen in the morning. I may drag it along to Raton next week if the rain here continues. 8” or so in last 36 hours.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
California
WACA Member
September 23, 2018 - 4:35 am

Mike & Tim,

i ordered the magnum shield today.

Should have it Monday afternoon.

I’m going to use some Imperial 45-70’s and am looking for some 45-90s locally.  Can’t wait to shoot those rounds !

I only got off 6 45-70’s last week shooting with Larry Shennum, and quit, much to Larry’s delight & entertainment.

Thanks for the help guys.

Bill

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 21
August 4, 2019 - 1:16 pm

Hi, late to the party here, new member to the forum. I have bought several stock covers from this maker, https://gunstockcover.com/main.sc;jsessionid=AC6096FAB56E358D98662808B2EB2B38.p3plqscsfapp002 There is an option  to have the curve cover made to a shotgun cover, it adds a bit of LOP and a bit of cushion too. I have several of them.  Image Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
August 4, 2019 - 5:38 pm

I can’t believe you need a pad for a 45-90 even with the crescent butt?  I do wear the Past pad when shooting the 35 WCF. 

On a side note, how is Larry feeling these days?

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: deerhunter, clarence, Jeremy P, SureShot, Sansafew Synapses
Guest(s) 351
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261