Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester model 1892 Takedown
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10852
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
October 5, 2017 - 4:23 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Tony. R said

And just to add, Daisy, was the mark of F.LASSITER Sydney

and Stinger was the mark of PERRY BRO’S Brisbane,

the marks were not only contained to lever guns, some 85’s and 22 bolt rifle suck as the 04, can be found stamped.  

Thus far, I have surveyed 1,000 Model 1885 Single Shots that were marked “THE STINGER”, and just over 800 that were “DAISY” marked.  In addition to those two major retailers, there were at least a half dozen more, with James Rosier being fairly prominent.  All told, I have identified close to 2,000 Model 1885 Singles Shots that were exported to Australia.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 188
October 5, 2017 - 12:29 pm

Bert H. said

Thus far, I have surveyed 1,000 Model 1885 Single Shots that were marked “THE STINGER”, and just over 800 that were “DAISY” marked.  In addition to those two major retailers, there were at least a half dozen more, with James Rosier being fairly prominent.  All told, I have identified close to 2,000 Model 1885 Singles Shots that were exported to Australia.

Bert  

That’s interesting info Bert.2000 model 85s .I would not of thought that many .

I also have a 73 carbine which is marked on the top of the frame.both sides H.Abrahams. Melbourne.

They were in the same location as Rosier .but we’re nearly put out of business in later part of 19th century, owing to a court case bought about by greener (shotguns)  for selling Belgium guns and remarking them with greener etc.

I believe it cost Abraham’s close to 11000 pounds.a lot of money back then.

Kingston, WA
Admin
October 5, 2017 - 4:08 pm

Tony. R said

That’s interesting info Bert.2000 model 85s .I would not of thought that many .

I also have a 73 carbine which is marked on the top of the frame.both sides H.Abrahams. Melbourne.

They were in the same location as Rosier .but we’re nearly put out of business in later part of 19th century, owing to a court case bought about by greener (shotguns)  for selling Belgium guns and remarking them with greener etc.

I believe it cost Abraham’s close to 11000 pounds.a lot of money back then.  

Tony,

In addition to the rifles (mostly low-walls), a substantial number of the Lightweight Carbines, and the high-wall 20-Ga shotguns were exported to Australia.  I have spent a considerable amount of time compiling a detailed listing of all the Model 1885 Single Shots exported to Australia. Neil Waters has been very helpful in my continuing research of the Model 1885s in Australia.

Bert

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
October 6, 2017 - 7:13 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said

Tony,

In addition to the rifles (mostly low-walls), a substantial number of the Lightweight Carbines, and the high-wall 20-Ga shotguns were exported to Australia.  I have spent a considerable amount of time compiling a detailed listing of all the Model 1885 Single Shots exported to Australia. Neil Waters has been very helpful in my continuing research of the Model 1885s in Australia.

Bert  

Interesting states there Bert.

On the 85 baby carbines I don’t think any have been found with the factory mark “baby” rolled on the barrel including mine.infact my baby 75760 the barrel length is discribed as .barrel weight 15.  Ledger error do you think.

Kingston, WA
Admin
October 6, 2017 - 3:54 pm

Tony. R said

Bert H. said

Tony,

Bert  

Interesting states there Bert.

On the 85 baby carbines I don’t think any have been found with the factory mark “baby” rolled on the barrel including mine.infact my baby 75760 the barrel length is discribed as .barrel weight 15.  Ledger error do you think.  

Tony,

Where did you get your information from?  There is no error in the ledger entry for your Lightweight Carbine.  Serial number 75759 (just above it) is fully written out, and serial number 75760 is completely “ditto” marked under it as both are identical including the order number.  Serial number 75759 has “15” written in the “LENGTH.” column, and the notation “(The Baby)” in the “STOCK.” column right next to it. 

Of interest, your Carbine is right in the middle of the largest batch of consecutive serial numbered Lightweight Carbines made.  Beginning with serial number 75730, there were (99) Lightweight Carbines made through serial number 75829.  Years ago (during one of my research trips to Cody), I printed a copy of the ledger pages for that serial number range.

I too have not (yet) found a single one of the (58) total Lightweight Carbines annotated in the ledgers as “The Baby” to be marked accordingly.  There were (77) that are marked “THE STINGER” accordingly to my research.

I have not found any of the high-wall 20-Ga shotguns marked with either marking.

Bert

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
October 6, 2017 - 8:29 pm

Bert H. said

Tony,

Where did you get your information from?  There is no error in the ledger entry for your Lightweight Carbine.  Serial number 75759 (just above it) is fully written out, and serial number 75760 is completely “ditto” marked under it as both are identical including the order number.  Serial number 75759 has “15” written in the “LENGTH.” column, and the notation “(The Baby)” in the “STOCK.” column right next to it. 

Of interest, your Carbine is right in the middle of the largest batch of consecutive serial numbered Lightweight Carbines made.  Beginning with serial number 75730, there were (99) Lightweight Carbines made through serial number 75829.  Years ago (during one of my research trips to Cody), I printed a copy of the ledger pages for that serial number range.

I too have not (yet) found a single one of the (58) total Lightweight Carbines annotated in the ledgers as “The Baby” to be marked accordingly.  There were (77) that are marked “THE STINGER” accordingly to my research.

I have not found any of the high-wall 20-Ga shotguns marked with either marking.

Bert  

Bert, the barrel weight 15, is on the factory letter. I ment do you think an error on the letter no legder.

Should I have Jessie re look at it.

I’m at the Melbourne auction now.when I’m back home I’ll put the letter on the forum.

Footnote.

75759 sold in cottone auctions (Canada) about 10yrs ago.maybe it never came to Australia

Kingston, WA
Admin
October 7, 2017 - 4:41 am

Tony. R said

Bert, the barrel weight 15, is on the factory letter. I ment do you think an error on the letter no legder.

Should I have Jessie re look at it.

I’m at the Melbourne auction now.when I’m back home I’ll put the letter on the forum.

Footnote.

75759 sold in cottone auctions (Canada) about 10yrs ago.maybe it never came to Australia  

Tony,

“weight” is not in the factory ledgers.  If the letter you have mentions “weight”, then it is in error.  Can you send me a copy of the letter?

Serial number 75759 was originally shipped to Australia.

Bert

Sydney Australia
WACA Member
October 7, 2017 - 8:08 am

Bert H. said

Tony,

“weight” is not in the factory ledgers.  If the letter you have mentions “weight”, then it is in error.  Can you send me a copy of the letter?

Serial number 75759 was originally shipped to Australia.

Bert  

Will do Bert. I should of mentioned this long ago.it has allways buged me as odd. I’m flying home in couple days.hopefully with some high grade Winchester’s.this auction will be great tomorrow☺

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Roundsworth, antler1, spursfan, Darrin Smith, Edward Kitner, Pwog
Guest(s) 152
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727