Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 73 and 1886
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
GLOCKDave
WACA Guest
August 6, 2020 - 8:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello Gentlemen,

I have found your forum to ask a few questions since I’m out of my area of expertise with the rifle I just purchased, as well as the 1886 that I left behind until I could get more information.

I purchased a few guns from a man who’s father left them to him and he is not a gun guy. The first is a Winchester 73 with SN 21006 in 44-40. It retains a nice patina and does not appear to be refinished. Once I establish a fair value, I will probably sell it since it will be better appreciated by a Winchester collector. The gun I left behind is an 1886 in 38-56 that I can’t tell if the finish is original, although I don’t believe it is. The receiver is silver and the barrel is patina blue. It’s in good working order but I didn’t want to get stuck with a worthless gun. He has offered it at a very reduced price, but I will still sell it as my collection leans towards more modern firearms. I can’t tell the serial number on the 86 because it appears to be way too long. It’s on the bottom of the receiver. I’m not sure how to post pics here. I will see what needs to be done to get them up here.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
August 6, 2020 - 9:09 pm

As a Guest, you will need to put the pictures on as photo hosting website, and them post the URL to them here.

The silver looking finish on the Model 1886 is most likely the original case color finish that has been worn or faded to what you see now.  The serial number is located on the lower tang (under the lever bow).

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4281
August 6, 2020 - 9:10 pm

Dave,

The 73 is a first model rifle with a round barrel if my information is correct. If it has good blue on it, it maybe worth some money but its all about condition so pictures are a must. Take several pictures of each side showing stock, receiver, forearm and barrel in each shot and pictures of the markings. Good clear pictures so we can see the condition of the finish and markings. If you want you can email them to me at the address below my picture.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

GLOCKDave
WACA Guest
August 6, 2020 - 9:58 pm

Thanks Bob,

They are in your inbox

Wisconsin
WACA Member
August 7, 2020 - 1:28 am

Dave,

I didn’t get any pictures yet. There is a dot between the bob and 1873 with no spaces.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

GLOCKDave
WACA Guest
August 7, 2020 - 1:51 am

1873man said
Dave,

I didn’t get any pictures yet. There is a dot between the bob and 1873 with no spaces.

Bob  

I just sent them again

Wisconsin
WACA Member
August 7, 2020 - 3:20 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Dave,

Here are the pictures. After looking at them the gun has a few condition issues. The wood has been sanded exposing the edges of the metal. The dust cover appears to be a homemade replacement which on a first model is a big deal. I’m also guessing the spring that holds tension on the dust cover could be missing since I don’t see a screw on the top of the receiver behind the dust cover and the hole is plugged with something.

There is a aftermarket tang sight on it which does not help the value of the gun and should be removed. Under the tang sight is where the model designation is stamped which say’s “Model 1873”. Check that there are no extra holes drill in the upper tang. There should only be the large hole in the back for the stock and the 2 small ones for the tang sight on either side of the model designation. The rear barrel sight is not original and the correct one can cost $250 with the correct elevator. The gun from what see has little original finish.

Based on what I’m seeing its worth  $1500

Bob

IMG_0951.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_0952.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_0953.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_0954.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_0955.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_0956.jpegImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----

73_86cutaway.jpg

GLOCKDave
WACA Guest
August 8, 2020 - 5:26 pm

Thanks Bob,

If I can get $1500 for the rifle, I will be happy. Thanks for your help.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291