Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 30-30 Circa 1920s (questions)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 19, 2024 - 2:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I’m not a gun guy, but am doing some research about a story from 1924. A prospector/hunter claims to have had a Winchester 30-30 with him and decided to sleep with the gun in his tent one night when he suspected a bear (or other animal) had ransacked his camp earlier in the day. My questions are: would a hunter normally sleep with their gun in a cramped sleeping bag? Seems to me that it would make more sense to have the gun at the ready outside of the sleeping bag. Also, would it be safe to have the gun in the sleeping bag? Was there a safety on the old 30-30s from that time period? If so, how easy would it be to disengage the safety by accident while sleeping beside it in a sleeping bag? Also, the hunter/prospector claimed to have shot a small deer, a grouse, and a squirrel while out on his trip. Does that seem do-able with the 30-30? The hunter/prospector never mentions missing his intended targets. Seems as though he killed what ever he aimed at. Also, would moisture or rain be of concern with keeping the gun outside of the sleeping bag? Again, I don’t know much about guns and am hoping some of the experts here will chime in. Thanks in advance. TODD

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10862
March 19, 2024 - 6:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Todd,

It is readily apparent that you are not at all familiar with the Winchester Model 1894 (94).

To start this out, the Model 1894 was not manufactured with a modern style safety, and it did not need one.  The Model 1894 was designed with built in safety features that I will describe for you;

1.  Load the magazine tube, but do not cycle the lever (load a live cartridge into the chamber) until you are ready to shoot the gun.

2.  If you have loaded a live round into the chamber, but are not ready to shoot, lower the hammer to the half-cock (safety) position.

3.  The hammer must be in the full cock position, and the lever must pulled all the way up to the lower tang to disengage the trigger block.

The odds of a loaded Model 94 rifle accidently firing on its own in a sleeping bag are as close to impossible as you can get.  That stated, I doubt like heck that the prospector/hunter in your story actually had the rifle inside the sleeping bag with him.  The reasonable person would lay the rifle down next to his sleeping bag.

In answer to your question about being able to shoot a deer, grouse, and squirrel with a 30-30… sure it is quite doable for someone who is an accomplished hunter/shooter.

Moisture or rain is a concern for any firearm.  That stated, a Model 94 can get wet from rain without any adverse affect if it is properly cared for. I grew up on the northwest coast of Oregon, and we hunted deer and elk in some of the wettest environments you will ever encounter.  Prior to heading out into the brush and forests, we always applied a generous coating of gun oil on the surfaces exposed to the wet.  The rain would bead up and run off the steel with no ill effects.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
March 19, 2024 - 8:13 pm

Bert H. said
Todd,

It is readily apparent that you are not at all familiar with the Winchester Model 1894 (94).

Admittedly so, yes! Hence me coming to the experts. Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply Bert. Much appreciated. It’s very helpful. Cheers.

TODD

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
March 20, 2024 - 2:30 am

Another thing to consider is that moisture condenses on cold metal when brought into warm surroundings. After a hunting trip during cold weather it’s a good practice to wipe down your rifle outside before putting it in your case and upon returning home leave it in the case to warm up slowly for at least several hours. If not moisture will form not only on the surface but on parts not easily wiped down. If I felt the need to keep a rifle in my tent during cold weather I’d simply wipe it down and case it up before retiring. A cold rifle in a warm bedroll would attract moisture just like a cold rifle brought into a warm building. Could also be a bit uncomfortable.
You don’t reckon an old timer would pull a greenhorn’s leg if he got a chance, do you?

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
March 22, 2024 - 1:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

TXGunNut said
Another thing to consider is that moisture condenses on cold metal when brought into warm surroundings. 

You don’t reckon an old timer would pull a greenhorn’s leg if he got a chance, do you?

Mike

Hi Mike – thanks for taking the time to add insight—much appreciated. I never knew the guy making the claim, but for what it’s worth, he submitted a formal affidavit in 1957 to a local Magistrate about an alleged encounter with a Sasquatch family. Yup, a Sasquatch family. I personally don’t believe his claim for various reasons having nothing to do with whether or not Sasquatch exists or not. He told his story to numerous people beginning in 1957 including speaking engagements at legion halls and on radio interviews and TV documentaries. Many of those he spoke to were avid hunters and outdoorsmen. I’m gathering information to call B.S. on his story.

Cheers – TODD

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10862
March 22, 2024 - 3:37 am

For those of us that grew-up in the Great PNW, stories of the Sasquatch (a.k.a. Big Foot, Yeti, etc.) were quite plentiful in the 1960s. I myself personally knew a couple of them!!

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
March 22, 2024 - 3:46 am

Todd0329 said

TXGunNut said

Another thing to consider is that moisture condenses on cold metal when brought into warm surroundings. 

Mike

Hi Mike – thanks for taking the time to add insight—much appreciated. I never knew the guy making the claim, but for what it’s worth, he submitted a formal affidavit in 1957 to a local Magistrate about an alleged encounter with a Sasquatch family. Yup, a Sasquatch family. I personally don’t believe his claim for various reasons having nothing to do with whether or not Sasquatch exists or not. He told his story to numerous people beginning in 1957 including speaking engagements at legion halls and on radio interviews and TV documentaries. Many of those he spoke to were avid hunters and outdoorsmen. I’m gathering information to call B.S. on his story.

Cheers – TODD

Well, in that case we must consider his account in a more serious light. Anyone who has spent time hanging out with a Sasquatch family deserves our consideration. I have it on remarkably questionable authority that another family of Sasquatch moved to Texas awhile back to avoid the folks beating the bushes up north. One brutally hot summer and an unfortunate encounter with chiggers and a rather cranky old boar feral hog and they headed back north. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6398
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263
Big Larry: 2354