Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1894 WP proof marks not aligned, other questions
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 37
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 7, 2022 - 9:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi forum, 

I have a Model 1894, serial number places manufacturing date of 1945 … there are some questions I have about this firearm as I’m looking to sell it and don’t want to misrepresent its originality: 

• A: (Picture 1) — the WP proof marks are not aligned. Is this usual or unusual for Model 1894’s?
  • B: (Picture 2) — sort of subtle, but looking down the muzzle you can see that the tube magazine is not aligned with the top sights (there is a linear groove at the end of the tube magazine; if you draw a straight line continuing up from the groove, it misses alignment with the sights on top of the muzzle)
  • C: (Pictures 3 and 4) — the lever rattles up and down, left and right. I couldn’t insert a video, so just the two pictures here. Laying them side by side you can see how it rattles. 
  • D: (Pictures 3 and 4) — there is a marking next to the trigger, looks like “BR” – is this usual or unusual?

I also inserted a picture of the barrel marking in Picture 5 if it offers more clues into whether the barrel has been altered. 

Thanks in advance for all of your insights!

Image 1Image Enlarger

Image 2Image Enlarger

Image 3Image Enlarger

Image 4Image Enlarger

Image 5Image Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10850
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 8, 2022 - 5:58 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The proof mark stamps were applied by hand, so yes, they are never perfectly aligned.

The magazine tube end cap has quite obviously been removed and reinstalled multiple times (as evidenced by the damaged screwdriver slot). Accordingly, I would not expect it to be vertically aligned with anything on the barrel.

The marking near the trigger is an Inspector’s stamp, and it is normal.

The rattle in the lever is not uncommon on a gun that has been used.

You mention that it is a 1945 production… what is the serial number?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
January 9, 2022 - 4:00 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Thank you, Bert. I was browsing the forum and learned about the research surveys. Here is a picture of the serial number for your research & records. 

One more question – the tube magazine is a bit shorter than the barrel (picture attached as well). Is this normal? If I recall, I’ve seen both ones where they are the same length, and others like this one where the magazine is a bit shorter. 

Thanks

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 9, 2022 - 5:28 pm

Ron,

S/N 1344908 is listed in the records as 10/23/1945, and it is one of the 8,870 officially manufactured in the year 1945.

The slightly shorter magazine tube is normal… most of the Model 94s have a slightly shorter mag tube as compared to the barrel. 

Based on the second picture in your last post, the front barrel band has been incorrectly installed backwards.  The slotted screw in the band is supposed to be on the left-hand side of the gun.

Bert

WACA Guest
July 27, 2022 - 7:09 pm

Bert H. said
Ron,

S/N 1344908 is listed in the records as 10/23/1945, and it is one of the 8,870 officially manufactured in the year 1945.

The slightly shorter magazine tube is normal… most of the Model 94s have a slightly shorter mag tube as compared to the barrel. 

Based on the second picture in your last post, the front barrel band has been incorrectly installed backwards.  The slotted screw in the band is supposed to be on the left-hand side of the gun.

Bert

Hi Bert,

I’m looking at this today and notice that both the front band and rear band are installed backwards (the screws are on the right side for both) on this Winchester Model 94.

The front ramp is integral to the barrel and (I could very well be wrong) so I don’t think the front band can be removed. Because of this it looks like the front band was oriented that way from the factory, before the front ramp was installed?

Could this be correct, could Winchester have factory installed these on the wrong side?

Kingston, WA
Admin
July 28, 2022 - 1:45 am

Ron P said

Hi Bert,

I’m looking at this today and notice that both the front band and rear band are installed backwards (the screws are on the right side for both) on this Winchester Model 94.

The front ramp is integral to the barrel and (I could very well be wrong) so I don’t think the front band can be removed. Because of this it looks like the front band was oriented that way from the factory, before the front ramp was installed?

Could this be correct, could Winchester have factory installed these on the wrong side?  

No, it cannot be correct, and Winchester positively did not install the barrel bands incorrectly.  You are incorrect in your assumption that the front barrel band cannot be removed.  To remove the front barrel band, the magazine tube has to be removed first, then you simply rotate (invert) the band and it slides over the top of the front sight ramp.

Bert

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., mrcvs, deerhunter, tim tomlinson, TXGunNut, Papa_Chavez, Clem K
Guest(s) 85
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2350
twobit: 2305
mrcvs: 1727