Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 151
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 8, 2017 - 10:43 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I am interested in finding a solid, but not collector grade in 44-40. I have heard that is the most desirable caliber?? They do seam to be pricier than the others. I have a really nice one in 32-20, but always wanted one in 44-40. I got lucky on the 32-20 as I did not know a thing about them except they were cool. So now with the 44-40 I am seeing several different models. Some are takedowns which are very cool but have no idea if they demand more money or not. One thing is I am partial to the octagon barrels. Don’t know if that leaves out take downs or not. Any tips/advice on these are greatly welcomed.

Thanks much

Steve

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 216
January 9, 2017 - 1:42 pm

Yes, the .44 WCF is the most sought after chambering in the 1892. I don’t know how much of a premium the .44 brings over the .38/40 but there is definitely a bigger difference in the prices paid for .32 or .25 calibre. Takedowns are fairly scarce in the 1892 and I would think will fetch double what a solid frame will bring maybe more. Octagon barrels were made in takedown as well and will bring more than a round barrel even in solid frame rifles. I have a very nice 1914 round barrel solid frame 1892 in .44 WCF that has about 85% blue on the barrel and magazine tube, action is silvered as the blue of the period wore off the action rather quickly. I got this rifle for $1000 and was very pleased to get it though prices are considerably higher in the U.S. That being said I wouldn’t sell it for less than $1500 even here in Canada. Good luck in your search and try to keep in mind that a higher condition rifle will always hold value and appreciate more than a “grey gun”.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
January 9, 2017 - 10:42 pm

Here’s the link to a decent 44-40 that a guy in my area has been trying to sell for a long time.  I think he had it listed for $1800 or $1900 and recently raised the price since it wasn’t selling…..so, I’d think you should be able to find one for $1500 or so if this is the condition you’re looking for and you’re patient.  

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/612096163

WACA Guest
January 10, 2017 - 1:29 am

Yes that is pretty much what I am looking for. Looks to be a solid rifle, and not all beat up.

Thanks

Steve

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2348
January 10, 2017 - 1:43 am

That does not appear to be a bad rifle for $2,000. If it has a bad bore, which a lot of them do, it may be worth much less.

I searched for a plain Jane M1892 in nice shape for years and found the real nice ones go for up to $10,000++. On Gun Broker a few years back, I saw a real nice one with a starting bid of $2,500. This one was a standard oct. bbl. rifle, with mint bore and some receiver flaking. Overall. a real nice one. I called the owner as he had no bids and offered him the $2,500 for it and he closed the auction. He was not a gun guy, he said he got the rifle for painting a guys house and he just wanted to get his fair share out of it. When I got the rifle, I was stunned to see it was much better than the pics. I took the rifle to the Big Reno show to show some Winchester guys and they all said it was a $5,000 rifle. So I got it 1/2 price. I have 4 nice M1892’s and M92’s and until I recently got a real nice M1886, that particular rifle was my favorite. M1892 44’s are a very desirable commodity. The same thing with the M53’s. They tend to bring double what another caliber brings. Same with the M1873’s.

As for the 38-40, it is not a big seller.   Big LarryM92s-002.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5055
January 10, 2017 - 3:24 am

The 32-20’s and 38-40’s are fun shooters! The 32 is stingy with lead and powder, probably costs less than a 22 rimfire to shoot with my cast bullet reloads. Agree with Big Larry, many rifles from the corrosive primer era have terrible bores. Some shoot fairly well but it’s best to avoid them if you want a shooter, especially if you want to shoot them with Holy Black.

Good luck on your quest, the 44WCF is truly a benchmark cartridge for any Winchester collector. Hmmm…I’ve got a feeling this thread is going to cost me big time. Wink

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
January 10, 2017 - 4:22 am

I reload for my 32-20 also. It is a fantastic gun to shoot. I also cast my own lead for it also. I will do the same with the 44-40….On the note of cartridges. I have almost a box of 44-40 that I have had since the 70’s. It says R P 44-40 win on them. I am wondering if those would be safe to shoot in a 1892. I have no idea what load they are. They are just sitting in a Styrofoam insert that was in the box for the bullets. No box or label.

Steve

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
January 10, 2017 - 4:59 pm

slk said
I am interested in finding a solid, but not collector grade in 44-40. I have heard that is the most desirable caliber?? They do seam to be pricier than the others. I have a really nice one in 32-20, but always wanted one in 44-40. I got lucky on the 32-20 as I did not know a thing about them except they were cool. So now with the 44-40 I am seeing several different models. Some are takedowns which are very cool but have no idea if they demand more money or not. One thing is I am partial to the octagon barrels. Don’t know if that leaves out take downs or not. Any tips/advice on these are greatly welcomed.

Thanks much

Steve  

Steve,

When you get your search narrowed down I will be glad to help in any way and answer questions regarding originality.  I have data on more than 9500 Model 1892 rifles so I have a pretty good idea what any rifle in a SN range ought to look like.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
January 10, 2017 - 5:10 pm

slk said
I reload for my 32-20 also. It is a fantastic gun to shoot. I also cast my own lead for it also. I will do the same with the 44-40….On the note of cartridges. I have almost a box of 44-40 that I have had since the 70’s. It says R P 44-40 win on them. I am wondering if those would be safe to shoot in a 1892. I have no idea what load they are. They are just sitting in a Styrofoam insert that was in the box for the bullets. No box or label.

Steve  

My guess is that your 44-40 ammo is safe to shoot in a Model 1892.  I would be hesitant to fire them in a Model 1873 or a revolver as there is no way of knowing if they are the High Velocity loading but that loading was made for the 1892’s.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: pdog72, deerhunter, Tom D
Guest(s) 204
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600