Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1892 Sportsmans Rifle in 25-20 - Octagon/Round Barrel Configuration - Need Help Identifying Further
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 15
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 21, 2019 - 9:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello Everyone, 

This is my first post here and after some pretty in depth research around the internet I determined this was the best place to show you what I’ve got. This rifle was given to me by my grandfather several years ago, who got it from another friend. I am pretty excited to get some expert opinions and answers from you all here so thanks in advance.

Here is a link to a Google Drive folder with detailed photos of the rifle, I would be more than happy to take some more if you guys need to see anything else:

Photo Album Link

This is what i know so far about the rifle: 

• Model 1892 Sportsman Rifle
  • Serial No. 374946 dates it 1907
  • 24″ Barrel Length
  • Chambered in 25-20 (Only 4% of the 1892’s were made in 25-20 I’ve read?)
  • Half Octagon/Half Round Barrel Configuration (Only 1% of the 1892’s were this half & half combination I’ve also read?)
  • After lengthy research, I am almost positive that the forearm that was provided when it was given to me, is not the correct forearm for this variant of Model 1892, I believe the one provided is actually for the Saddle Ring version of this rifle with a 20″ barrel length and not for the 24″ that I have)

There are a few parts that need to be replaced and I am hoping to locate some authentic, original replacement parts online and it looks like there are quite a few. Before I make any purchases I wanted to be sure I know what I am working with so that I can use that to determine what exact pieces to buy in an effort to keep the rifle as original as possible. 

Looking through the Winchester 1892 Schematic posted on here, this is what I have determined that I am missing:

• Walnut Forearm
  • Forearm Tip (Part No. 10)
  • Forearm Tip Screws (Part No. 11)
  • Magazine Spring (Part No. 13)
  • Magazine Ring (Part No. 8)
  • Magazine Ring Pin (Part No. 9)

I don’t intend on selling this rifle but would certainly like to do what I can to restore it to it’s original state, including buying authentic, original parts that will fit the rifle. Let me know what you guys think and I can’t wait to hear your thoughts!! Thanks again.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
July 23, 2019 - 2:06 pm

Free guns are always nice…I guess. Now what to do with it, and opinions of it…that’s another subject. Have fun and learn a little along the way would be my suggestion. 

WACA Guest
July 23, 2019 - 2:13 pm

Thanks for the reply, do you happen to have any information on these 25-20s? Ive looked and looked and cant seem to find much.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
July 23, 2019 - 2:16 pm

And what kind of info are you looking for? I do know that if you lever a round into the chamber and pull the trigger it will go bang…and hopefully go out the end of the barrel. 

WACA Guest
July 23, 2019 - 2:18 pm

Hahahaha well lets hope so! I guess I am just trying to determine the rarity of two things. The 25-20s in general, and also the rarity of the half octa half round barrel on said 25-20. 

NE OREGON
WACA Member
July 23, 2019 - 2:33 pm

I think the 25-20 caliber is not to rare. I like the round as it is pretty accurate at short distances and no kick. The have round barrel on a 1892 is a desirable feature for sure. Michael (twobit rifles) can tell you how rare that is. It will be challenging for you to find all of the correct parts to restore this rifle to it’s original condition and have it not look like you did exactly that. 

WACA Guest
July 23, 2019 - 2:35 pm

Thank you for the info! Do you know how I can contact him? Is he on here? Also I forgot to ask, which foreend goes with this gun? The one shown in my pics is NOT the right one, correct? Its been a real chore trying to get up to speed on all of this hahaha. Thanks again for all your help! 

NE OREGON
WACA Member
July 23, 2019 - 2:50 pm

Yes the forearm wood is from a carbine and the rest of the gun is a rifle. Just yell MICHAEL and if he is around and not fishing or shooting pigs, he will be here 

WACA Guest
July 23, 2019 - 2:56 pm

Got it! Well hopefully he shows up at some point! Also, if a person buys an original, authentic foreend, and hardware for a rifle thats authentic for that rifle, would that restore any value? I mean common sense tells me that noone would even know the difference if you buy the exact parts made right around the exact year for the rifle? Correct me if i am wrong. Again i have no intention of selling this thing i iust want to return it to its good ole days proper.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
July 23, 2019 - 3:21 pm

Again, it is going to be a little tough finding the correct parts that will match the present condition of your rifle, especially the forend wood. Exact parts and time period have nothing to do with condition or patina. You’ll find out when you set a different forend next to your butt stock. Texture, color, sheen, wear etc will be noticeably different and will stick out like a sore thumb…unless you are extremely lucky. The same with metal pieces from my experience.

WACA Guest
July 23, 2019 - 5:00 pm

Well thats too bad, i was kind of worried about that but maybe ill get lucky but either way if i can get it as original and authentic as possible itll be just fine for me!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
July 23, 2019 - 5:02 pm

A lot of people like to shoot the .25-20 cartridge.  Among collectors, I would say it is the least desirable of the four original chamberings. Seems to me, in the M1892, I see more .25-20 rifles for sale than other rifles.  I’m not trying to rain on your parade – I have several .25-20’s – in both rifle and carbine versions. The half octagon barrel helps some, however, in an altered rifle, it doesn’t mean much.  If it were mine, I would definitely look for the correct forend.  Ebay often has original Winchester wood for sale.  You just have to be patient.  I would say finding a correct original forend would increase the value.  If you’re lucky and you find one with matching color, condition, sheen, etc., it would be better. 

WACA Guest
July 23, 2019 - 5:05 pm

Hey Steve thanks for the input. Thats odd because somewhere I had read that the 25-20s were among 4% of what was manufactured (which maybe i just assume meant more rare) but oh well. It was free and i have no intention of selling it. I have actually seen a few forends on ebay already. Do you have any tips on what to look for when it comes to matching it? Is it as simple  as looking at the hue of the wood grain and damage or is there more to it?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
July 23, 2019 - 5:28 pm

As I said, were it mine, I would find an original rifle forearm for it – I know it can be done.  Again, not to rain on your parade (too much 😉 ) but that carbine forearm really makes it look unsightly.  One of the most common problems with the (original) replacement wood out there is that may have been refinished.  And more problematic, sanded undersized.  This is easier to detect when it is on a rifle – it is much easier to visually see if it is undersized.  And yes, visually trying to find a color match to your buttstock is what you are after.  The handicap here is if you are buying off Ebay (or anything involving internet photos), the lighting used in the photos, the quality of the photos, etc., can result in something looking different than expected when you open the box. 

It’s always a bit of a gamble.  Still were it mine, I would look for the closet match I could find on ebay and buy it.

Oh, as far as collectability or desirability, it doesn’t always come down to rarity.  There were less .25-20’s made than .44-40’s, but the .44-40 is King of the 1892 Roost when it comes to getting people’s blood racing and digging deep in their pockets.  The same is true of some of the M1886 chamberings.  The .38-70 and .40-70 chamberings are rare.  The .45-70 and .45-90 were much more common yet generally bring the bigger money. 

I wish you well in your project.

WACA Guest
July 23, 2019 - 6:22 pm

Hey thank you! Appreciate all of the good info. It seems the prices ive found range from about $35-100 starting bid. Are you able to tell me what a fair price is or is that a complex answer? 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
July 23, 2019 - 8:29 pm

The half round barrel is rare.  As far as the caliber, sometimes things are rare because they were not that desirable at the time compared to the other calibers.

WACA Guest
July 23, 2019 - 8:44 pm

Thank you guys for all the info, what would you rough guess the value of this is? Just out of curiosity.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
July 23, 2019 - 9:06 pm

If you find one that has NOT been altered/sanded and it matches in color etc, just keep you hand in the air till you own it. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
July 23, 2019 - 9:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Ender said
Thank you guys for all the info, what would you rough guess the value of this is? Just out of curiosity.  

Since this gun came from your grandfather it is priceless.  From the pictures it is roughly a $1,000 gun if the carbine forend is replaced with a rifle forend.  This price is just my guess I don’t collect modern guns or 25-20’s.  I don’t follow the prices for these.

WACA Guest
July 23, 2019 - 9:52 pm

Yes, i just didnt know what i was working with. Thanks

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 152
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)