Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1892 in 'original' shipping crate???
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1729
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
July 21, 2016 - 9:08 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I am highly skeptical of any Winchester that is claimed to be still with its original shipping crate, simply because the amount of fake crates FAR exceeds the number of authentic ones out there.

What are your thoughts relative to the authenticity of the crate associated with this Winchester 1892 for sale, dating from the first year of production?

http://antiquearmsinc.com/1892-winchester-rifle-original-crate-mint.htm

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1729
July 21, 2016 - 2:36 pm

Bogus, as expected!

I want to say, can someone post photographs of a 100% original iron-clad without a doubt genuine shipping crate so we know what to look for, BUT the problem with that is that it simply becomes a template for which fakers will use to make more-convincing fakes!

As for myself, highly unlikely I would ever purchase a Winchester stated to be in its original crate, unless thrown in for free!

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 356
July 22, 2016 - 1:20 am

Hi Guys and Gals,

I would not discount this box as fake. I have done business with this seller and he would never want his name associated with a fake. The Patina looks right to me. LeRoy Merz has probably seen the most factory crates, and it would be interesting to hear what he states. 

Walter

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10865
July 22, 2016 - 1:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

wallyb said
Hi Guys and Gals,

I would not discount this box as fake. I have done business with this seller and he would never want his name associated with a fake. The Patina looks right to me. LeRoy Merz has probably seen the most factory crates, and it would be interesting to hear what he states. 

Walter  

Walter,

Be that as it may, I also believe that Bob is correct… Winchester never put hinges on their shipping crates.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
July 22, 2016 - 1:55 am

Bert,

The seller stated that the hinges were added later.

Walter

Kingston, WA
Admin
July 22, 2016 - 2:07 am

wallyb said
Bert,

The seller stated that the hinges were added later.

Walter  

OK, that makes it an “altered” versus an “original” shipping crate. 

Bert

WACA Guest
July 22, 2016 - 2:28 am

Bert,

I thought you wanted  to research all Winchester Stuff and not Split Atoms. What if this is a rare shipping crate?

Walter

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 184
July 22, 2016 - 12:56 pm

Hello all. I tend to side with Wally on this one. Brent clearly state the hinges were added later to make the crate more user friendly, Which makes sense. Did the seller do it? I HIGHLY doubt it. I have know him for close to 20 years and have found him to be a wealth of information on even the smallest details associated with Winchesters and impeccably honest. I can say whole heatedly that if he thought for one second this crate was not original (hinges excluded) he wouldn’t be selling it as such. Did this particular gun ship out in this crate? Who knows for sure? 

Everyone has and is entitled to their opinion on the crates and given one of the previous sellers we’ve discussed I can see where any crate is viewed with suspicion and rightfully so. 

Casey

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1388
July 22, 2016 - 1:41 pm

It would interesting to know if there is a serial number on the crate (not added later) that matches the serial number of the gun. Otherwise, how would you ever tie that gun to that crate?

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 163
July 22, 2016 - 3:00 pm

tionesta1 said
It would interesting to know if there is a serial number on the crate (not added later) that matches the serial number of the gun. Otherwise, how would you ever tie that gun to that crate?  

Well,

This might be a valid point,

I have personally seen a wooden shipping crate, that 10 Winchester Model 1894 Carbines were shipped in,

The end of the crate read something like,

Winchester

Model 1894 Carbines

Each Serial Number was listed of the 10 Carbines, I believe 2 lines of 5 serial numbers, 

Then Winchesters Address at the bottom.

It has been many years ago that I saw the Crate, but in my mind I can clearly picture it.

It was in a little General Store in upstate NY, that had a display of artifacts of stuff it sold since day one of it’s existence.

Maybe, Adams Express had a policy of not stamping the outside of the box with it’s contents.

"I Would Have Rather Lived Through The Industrial Revaluation"

"Instead of The Space Age"

From

The Twilight Zone

Kingston, WA
Admin
July 22, 2016 - 3:16 pm

wallyb said
Bert,

I thought you wanted  to research all Winchester Stuff and not Split Atoms. What if this is a rare shipping crate?

Walter  

Walter,

You are twisting this topic in the wrong direction, and reading too far into what I have stated.  I do indeed research all things Winchester, but that has nothing to do with answering the original question that was posed in this topic.  I (like at least a few others here on the forum) do not believe that it is original to that particular rifle, nor do I believe that it is a 100% factory original crate.  That does not mean that the crate was not manufactured by Winchester.

Bert

Ontario Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 584
July 23, 2016 - 4:56 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

On the pics of the gun shows the opposite to this Quote out of the AD part 

.  Wood to metal fit is perfect.

look at the pics of  Wood to metal fit , particularly on L/S stock tang fit shows too much wear and sanding  to match excellent looking case and receiver blue especially R/S reciever and screw head cond

forearm also has wear marks on R/S

1892-winchester-rifle-original-crate-mint%20(13).jpgImage Enlarger1892-winchester-rifle-original-crate-mint%20(9).jpgImage Enlarger

Phils-Schuetzen-compressed.jpg 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
July 23, 2016 - 6:14 pm

Intriguing story, very tempting to accept it at face value. Very nice rifle but it seems a significant part of it’s value is derived from something that is difficult or nearly impossible to verify. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a factory shipping crate from this era, certainly not for a single rifle. I wonder how many survive. I can’t help but think that the crate may have significantly contributed to the wear evident on the receiver.

I’m still more a shooter than a collector so would have little use for a crate, even this one. Very nice, I hope the story is true but generations have come & gone since this rifle was shipped. I’m sure whoever built this crate would be shocked to know that someday someone would feel the crate was worth as much as or more than the rifle inside.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
July 27, 2016 - 11:50 pm

Hi All, 

This has been marked SOLD.

Walter

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2310
July 28, 2016 - 12:55 pm

Hello all,

Sorry, I have been out of the loop and in Italy for a bit and not online much.  Too much pasta and vino to waste time on the computer.  I also have bought a few rifles from Brent and have not had any problems at all.  This rifle was originally sold by him about 5 years ago and is now exactly as presented then.  As we have all know there are lots of non original crates floating around and I am not certain if this is one of them.  I would just concentrate on buying the rifle and if the crate is of interest then chip in another $100 but not more.  Until someone can produce a “Crate Reference Book” there is just too much unknown about them.  

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6405
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4606
1873man: 4323