Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1892 750,000 Reblue
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
January 23, 2018 - 9:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Mark,

Unfortunately, No, and No.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 202
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 24, 2018 - 3:26 am

Bert,

Take a look at proof mark on receiver and mark near front site. Polished and reblued?[Image Can Not Be Found]20180123_181843.jpgImage Enlarger20180123_181900.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Kingston, WA
Admin
January 24, 2018 - 4:52 pm

Mark,

The receiver frame has definitely been buffed and refinished.  Winchester never stamped a proof mark or any other type of mark near the front sight.  I suspect that is just a ding or scratch in the barrel.

Bert

WACA Member
January 24, 2018 - 5:40 pm

Didnt mean a stamped type mark near front site was referring to the polished shiny mark on barrel next to the front sight. It is the same on the barrel on both sides of front sight. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
January 24, 2018 - 6:35 pm

mark minnillo said
Didnt mean a stamped type mark near front site was referring to the polished shiny mark on barrel next to the front sight. It is the same on the barrel on both sides of front sight.   

I suspect it is a wear pattern from being shoved in and out of a gun boot.

Bert

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 532
January 25, 2018 - 4:03 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Because the shine is so straight along the base of the sight and a bit up on its side, and also to the base of the sight in the front and back, it seems to not be normal wear.  Normal wear should be a wash of dimming from dark toward light?  And unless the barrel is making solid contact along the front and back at the base of the sight, it seems there should be blue in these area; otherwise, the sight’s height would protect the finish in these areas.

Is there a case or a method of securing a barrel  that snugs against the sight?

Thinking on that, I doubt if I would want one that would wear the bluing like that. 

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
January 25, 2018 - 5:12 pm

Ive seen this same type of wear on and adjacent to carbine front sight posts and it is usually due to someone sweating out and repairing the sight post, reweld, and cold blue applied to mask it–that eventually wears off with cleaning revealing the repair work.  Usually see this on carbines that have had their barrels shortened.  Hard to see whats going on with the gun with just the two close up pics.

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
January 25, 2018 - 7:22 pm

1892takedown said
Ive seen this same type of wear on and adjacent to carbine front sight posts and it is usually due to someone sweating out and repairing the sight post, reweld, and cold blue applied to mask it–that eventually wears off with cleaning revealing the repair work.  Usually see this on carbines that have had their barrels shortened.  Hard to see whats going on with the gun with just the two close up pics.  

That’s exactly what this looks like.  The scratches around the sight base are parallel with the bore, indicating sanding and polishing.  The rest of the barrel has machining marks going around the barrel.  Looking at my 1892 carbine barrels, none of them have and machining marks going in any direction, anywhere.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
January 26, 2018 - 7:17 am

Wincacher said

1892takedown said

That’s exactly what this looks like.  The scratches around the sight base are parallel with the bore, indicating sanding and polishing.  The rest of the barrel has machining marks going around the barrel.  Looking at my 1892 carbine barrels, none of them have and machining marks going in any direction, anywhere.  

Can’t put nuthin’ past you two! Looked like a good quality repair to me but cold blue has it’s drawbacks after several years. Whatever was used to weld/solder the sight in just didn’t take the blue very well.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
February 5, 2018 - 11:31 pm

Thanks everyone.  A repaired front sight was my guess.  The gun was sold as “all original” unfinished.  The gun was sent back to the shop owner.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., Tom D
Guest(s) 142
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250