Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1885 Buttstock Differences
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Free State of Tennessee
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 47
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 23, 2017 - 2:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said
The stock and shotgun butt on your low-wall are original, and the is butt plate supposed to be smooth (no checkering). The wrist area of the stock has been sanded and refinished.
Bert  

I just looked at the Madis book p. 603. It said smooth shotgun butt plates could be ordered. I never knew Winchester made such. So I guess this was smooth originally and probably not reblued. The stock was revarnished; however. Now I like it even more.Smile

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
June 23, 2017 - 2:34 am

straycat23 said

Bert H. said
The stock and shotgun butt on your low-wall are original, and the is butt plate supposed to be smooth (no checkering). The wrist area of the stock has been sanded and refinished.
Bert  

I think there is a lot of wear on the buttplate and the wood. Some people shoot with their right thumb along the tang. I don’t, but I’ve noticed that over the years. That’s where most of the wear is: to the right of the upper tang. As for the buttplate, I believe checkering would normally be there, but appears worn down. I’ve seen more than my share of military rifles with the checkering on the butt stock worn smooth. Who knows Winchester may have made this one that way, but I doubt it. The wood has been revarnished because there is varnish on the buttplate. The buttplate has been reblued, but I don’t know why. None of the rest of the metal was refinished.The throat of the barrel is so worn, it will accept a .22lr. Of course, someone may have reamed it to .22lr. The rifling actually looks quite good. I believe I will keep it. The more I look at it, the more I like it. I’ve never had one of these before. The action is silky smooth and tight, and I got it at a decent price. I may get a new butylate if I can find one. Are these buttplates common to any other Winchesters?  

You can believe whatever you like, but you are not correct.  Winchester used the smooth steel shotgun butt plates on several thousand Model 1885 rifles… I own two rifles with that have them, and I have examined several hundred more that have them.  The checkered steel shotgun butt plate was primarily used on the Model 1887 shotguns, and on the post 1904 production Model 1897 shotguns (all Model 1893 and early production Model 1897 shotguns were equipped with a smooth steel shotgun butt plate).  In addition to the smooth steel butt plate, Winchester also used the black hard rubber (checkered & embossed) on the Model 1885 rifles.

As for the stock, it is clearly evident to me that it was sanded and refinished.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Kingston, WA
Admin
June 23, 2017 - 2:40 am

The center rifle in my signature picture (a 405 WCF) has a factory installed smooth steel shotgun butt plate with nearly all of the factory bluing still intact…

Bert

Steel-Shotgun-BP.jpegImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

Free State of Tennessee
WACA Guest
June 23, 2017 - 2:46 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I must have misunderstood you Bert. I thought you were asking if the smooth butt plate was appropriate, so I looked it up. Found reference to them on p. 603 of Madis.

The stock is revarnished. Honest wear vs. sanding is ???. Wood to metal fit elsewhere is good. Wood is proud at butt plate.

Kingston, WA
Admin
June 23, 2017 - 3:04 am

straycat23 said
I must have misunderstood you Bert. I thought you were asking if the smooth butt plate was appropriate, so I looked it up. Found reference to them on p. 603 of Madis.

The stock is revarnished. Honest wear vs. sanding is ???. Wood to metal fit elsewhere is good. Wood is proud at butt plate.  

For what it is worth, I have been researching and collecting the Model 1885 for almost 40-years, and today there is very little that I do not know about them.  I spent many years digging through all of the surviving records at the CFM, completed a full caliber survey, and have survey numbers for many other features and special order options.

American Black Walnut is hard, and it is not conducive to wearing down in the fashion exhibited on your rifle’s stock… unless the person was wearing sandpaper gloves.

Bert

Free State of Tennessee
WACA Guest
June 23, 2017 - 3:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Didn’t mean to stir things up. I appreciate your input. I have a High Wall coming as well. I will probably need questions answered on that one too

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: dimrod, DanTomGreg
Guest(s) 214
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261