Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Winchester 1873 Deluxe --- Rare Barrel Length of 27" --- One of a Kind?
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 22
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 27, 2022 - 7:14 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I got the gun this past Saturday at a gun show and never thought to measure the barrel until I got home. I was quite shocked to see the tape measure read 27″ long. I initially thought it was cut down, but after looking it over more closely and comparing it to my other 1873’s, it seemed correct. I instantly summitted the serial number to Cody to have them do a search, and was more than pleased to see that this rifle matches the letter exactly. Even the sights listed are what is present on the gun. 

I know longer than normal barrels are hard to find, but an odd length barrel has to be pretty rare. The fact that this gun was ordered without a trapdoor in the stock makes it unusual as well. On top of both of those features, this gun is also a deluxe with xx walnut (indicated on the tang) and the condition is better than most. 

I am more than happy to say the least and still don’t quite believe what I got. I do have a few questions for the experts out here.

First question: Are there any numbers indicating how many 1873s were made with odd length barrels?

Second question: I never thought of it as an option, but the trapdoor was specifically not ordered for this gun. Is that something anyone has seen before?

Third question: Given the uniqueness of the rifle, I feel like someone with some “Class” would of had to order it. Is there any way to find out who this gun might have belonged to? The seller did not know much about the history and claims it was found in a deceased relatives attic.

Fourth question: While I certainly do not plan on selling this rifle anytime soon, what would an estimate be on its value? I have been told 8-10k and that’s close to what I feel it is worth, but were would you find another one? How do you put a value on something that is possibly “One of a kind”?

Winchester 1873 Deluxe with Rare Barrel

-To pew or not to pew? That is the question-

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
April 27, 2022 - 7:47 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

For sure a rare gem, I am not the ’73 expert here, and I’m sure You’ll hear from them, but I have never seen another ’73 with a 27″ bbl. The “no rod in butt” Ibelieve is not that uncommon. Nice find, congratulations.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
April 27, 2022 - 8:12 pm

Dalton,

The gun is almost one of a kind but I have one other in my survey which is a first model that letters with a 27″ Remington twist barrel, no stock, no sights and barrel browned. Odd lengths are very rare until you get to the trappers.

Guns have been ordered without trap doors along with 32 calibers ordered with trap doors.

As to history of the gun, that would have to pasted down from previous owners. Cody will not have any information like that. Now I might still have your gun in my survey if it was reported as the wrong barrel length. If you get me the serial number I will check.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 184
April 27, 2022 - 9:28 pm

Definitely a rare gun. I think the 8-10k might be light. 10-12k may be a possibility.  Overall nice gun without the rare length. No rod in the but is not that uncommon.  Scarce but not rare. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
April 29, 2022 - 2:57 pm

caveman3094 said
I got the gun this past Saturday at a gun show and never thought to measure the barrel until I got home. I was quite shocked to see the tape measure read 27″ long. I initially thought it was cut down, but after looking it over more closely and comparing it to my other 1873’s, it seemed correct. I instantly summitted the serial number to Cody to have them do a search, and was more than pleased to see that this rifle matches the letter exactly. Even the sights listed are what is present on the gun. 

I know longer than normal barrels are hard to find, but an odd length barrel has to be pretty rare. The fact that this gun was ordered without a trapdoor in the stock makes it unusual as well. On top of both of those features, this gun is also a deluxe with xx walnut (indicated on the tang) and the condition is better than most. 

I am more than happy to say the least and still don’t quite believe what I got. I do have a few questions for the experts out here.

First question: Are there any numbers indicating how many 1873s were made with odd length barrels?

Second question: I never thought of it as an option, but the trapdoor was specifically not ordered for this gun. Is that something anyone has seen before?

Third question: Given the uniqueness of the rifle, I feel like someone with some “Class” would of had to order it. Is there any way to find out who this gun might have belonged to? The seller did not know much about the history and claims it was found in a deceased relatives attic.

Fourth question: While I certainly do not plan on selling this rifle anytime soon, what would an estimate be on its value? I have been told 8-10k and that’s close to what I feel it is worth, but were would you find another one? How do you put a value on something that is possibly “One of a kind”?

Winchester 1873 Deluxe with Rare Barrel

What a cool story!  It seems the guy standing behind the table had no idea what he had!

WACA Guest
April 29, 2022 - 3:12 pm

steve004 said

What a cool story!  It seems the guy standing behind the table had no idea what he had!  

It was actually someone walking around that had it. I have no idea how the guy didn’t get mauled by the dealers there when he came in. He somehow managed to last about 10minutes until I bumped into him. To say I was in the right place at the right time would be an understatement here haha.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 108
April 29, 2022 - 4:31 pm

you know everbody is wondering what you gave for it?   terry

WACA Guest
April 29, 2022 - 4:39 pm

tsillik said
you know everbody is wondering what you gave for it?   terry  

I’m afraid to say for fear of being called a lier haha. I happily gave him what he wanted for it though. Looking back on our conversation, I think he thought it was cut down. He kept saying it was 26″ and his sign said 28″… so he knew something was up.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 606
April 29, 2022 - 4:50 pm

caveman3094 said

I’m afraid to say for fear of being called a lier haha. I happily gave him what he wanted for it though. Looking back on our conversation, I think he thought it was cut down. He kept saying it was 26″ and his sign said 28″… so he knew something was up.  

Nice find. Right place at the right time. Congrats!! 

Rick C 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
April 29, 2022 - 5:24 pm

caveman3094 said

Oh, this is sweet! I’ll bet he had measured it and knew it was 27 inches!  But, had no idea that was the original length – so he thought he was pulling something over on you.  As I think of it, other dealers may may have looked at and put a tape measure on it.  I can see them smugly nodding to each other, “it’s been cut.”  Maybe some of them saw you walk by with the rifle in your hands and whispered to each other, “there’s that sap who bought that cut down ’73.” Good for you!

WACA Guest
April 29, 2022 - 5:32 pm

steve004 said

Oh, this is sweet! I’ll bet he had measured it and knew it was 27 inches!  But, had no idea that was the original length – so he thought he was pulling something over on you.  As I think of it, other dealers may may have looked at and put a tape measure on it.  I can see them smugly nodding to each other, “it’s been cut.”  Maybe some of them saw you walk by with the rifle in your hands and whispered to each other, “there’s that sap who bought that cut down ’73.” Good for you!  

Thankyou! He definitely did not get one over on me. For the price he was asking, anyone in their right mind would have bought it. Im the lucky owner now for the foreseeable future!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 184
April 29, 2022 - 7:06 pm

If the dealer measured from the top where the barrel meets the receiver instead of the chamber opening it would have been about 26.25″ so he may not have known better but most people would letter a 26″ since they are scarce compared to 24″, 28″ or 30″ guns.

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
April 30, 2022 - 5:06 am

This was really an exceptional purchase, and I think all of us could only wish for something like this to happen. I’m so glad it found its way into a collectors hands. That’s a keeper!

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: tionesta1, antler1, clarence, Antonio, Darrin Smith, TR, Edward Kitner
Guest(s) 208
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727