Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
What do you guys think of this early 1873??
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 26
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 11, 2017 - 3:10 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I am in the middle of packing up for a move and I have been trying to stay away from buying anything right now, which seems pretty funny that I would get an opportunity to make an offer on a collection yesterday.  There were some nice examples in the group but the one that really stood out to me was this 1873 chambered in 44-40.  According to Bert’s book it was made in 1874 and I sent in a request to Jessica this morning for the serial number info.  The serial is just under 2000, btw.  The curious part is that there is no caliber designation anywhere, not on the top of the barrel or on the cartridge lifter.  Also the trigger has a very tiny screw sticking out on the right rear of it, like an adjustment screw.  The trigger break is superb and I was thinking it may be a single set trigger?  I could not figure out any more on that subject.  The metal finish sure looks like it was a case color that has faded to silver.  It is a rifle length octagon, I believe it is 24″ and has a standard crescent butt.  Sorry for not getting pics of the whole rifle but the owner was not really excited about taking pics at all.

Anything you guys can tell me on this one would be greatly appreciated.  I am planning to make an offer on it later this week, not sure where to start.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/Win/1873_937/20170410_180442_r_zpsz3afuebo.jpgImage Enlarger 

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/Win/1873_937/20170410_180449_r_zpsuigb5vjo.jpgImage Enlarger

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/Win/1873_937/20170410_180425_r_zpsyk7s1w6l.jpgImage Enlarger

Montgomery, Texas (Birthplace of the Texas Flag)
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 114
April 11, 2017 - 4:14 pm

That is a first model 1873 rifle.  They only offered it in 44-40 so there was no caliber designation necessary.  It looks to have a set trigger and the letter should confirm that if original, which is probably the case.  

The cased coloring is something for the experts. I have a couple cased color guns and your example does not look like it has gone to silver.  I would think the Cody letter would also confirm cased coloring.  

Would also need more detailed pictures on the barrel and stock to fully evaluate originality.  I tend to buy things I like but have learned to do more evaluation so as not to get something that is not original.  

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
April 11, 2017 - 6:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

That looks like the remnants of nickle plating on the receiver and dust cover, not case coloring.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 184
April 11, 2017 - 6:37 pm

The letter will tell the story. I agree it looks more nickle than CC. Is there any blue on the barrel?

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
April 11, 2017 - 6:38 pm

Wincacher said
That looks like the remnants of nickle plating on the receiver and dust cover, not case coloring.  

That’s what I was thinking. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 26
April 11, 2017 - 7:03 pm

I just got the letter info back and it is case color:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/Win/1873_937/SNLU_c_zpsuesz8qmd.jpgImage Enlarger

Can someone describe the operation of the set trigger on this rifle?  Is it like a regular SST where you push it forward to set or something different?

Thanks

New Mexico
WACA Guest
April 11, 2017 - 7:35 pm

It is a SST trigger.

1876-4-1.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4321
April 11, 2017 - 7:41 pm

Brian Mathews said
I just got the letter info back and it is case color:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q295/Flyin_Brian/Win/1873_937/SNLU_c_zpsuesz8qmd.jpgImage Enlarger

Can someone describe the operation of the set trigger on this rifle?  Is it like a regular SST where you push it forward to set or something different?

Thanks  

You can use the trigger like a normal trigger or you can set it by pushing it forward and you will hear a slight click. The adjustment screw adjusts how hair of a trigger you want but you can adjust it to the point that it does not set at all. Be very careful about adjusting the screw since its so fine it can twist off if its froze.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5026
April 12, 2017 - 4:03 am

Moving is pretty hectic but it appears taking the time off to make an offer on this collection may be time well spent.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
April 12, 2017 - 12:35 pm

I may be wrong but agree about the worn nickel look.  Could it have been nickeled after leaving the factory?  Looks like my worn nickel 66 and not like my 86 cc gone to silver.

New Mexico
WACA Guest
April 12, 2017 - 1:31 pm

Huck Riley said
I may be wrong but agree about the worn nickel look.  Could it have been nickeled after leaving the factory?  Looks like my worn nickel 66 and not like my 86 cc gone to silver.  

Same here.  Doesn’t look at all like any of my several “turned to silver” CC receivers (1885’s & 1886’s) but does look very much like my one nickled receiver (1876).

1876-4-1.jpg

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4321
April 12, 2017 - 2:01 pm

One way to tell is to open a side plate and look inside, you will either see nice case colors or nice nickle.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 378
April 12, 2017 - 2:10 pm

Look at the letter. It states casehardened.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
April 12, 2017 - 4:22 pm

94shorties said
Look at the letter. It states casehardened.  

The letter won’t address “Could it have been nickeled after leaving the factory?” 

New Mexico
WACA Guest
April 12, 2017 - 9:29 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Nor….”Was the lower tang replaced onto a different receiver.”

1876-4-1.jpg

WACA Member
April 13, 2017 - 1:25 am

I guess that’s what fascinates me about these old Winchesters and other guns of this era; I wish I could hear the stories they could tell. IIRC (and I generally don’t!) CCH and nickel plating don’t get along very well.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 80
April 13, 2017 - 2:24 am

This rifle is not nickel plated and never was. What you see is how very early Winchester case hardening wears. 1st model 1873’s and early model 1876’s will turn silver and reveal an almost “flaked” or “patchy” look with the right amount of handling wear. This does resemble nickel. Later case coloring turns a more uniform silver. I believe what we are seeing is  a very thin scale that wears off revealing a metal substrate more susceptible to turn to a patina. Something in the process or formula changed after the first couple years of color case hardening. This is something I have only observed personally, it is not documented.  

Austin 

WACA Member
April 13, 2017 - 2:38 am

That certainly makes sense, Austin. I get the impression that this rifle has been handled very little over the past several decades. I can’t imagine why anyone would nickel plate a CCH gun.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
April 13, 2017 - 3:22 am

Austin,

First, I agree that the rifle in question was never nickel plated, and that it is typical of the early Winchester case color finished receivers. I see the exact same thing on the early Model 1885 Single Shot Rifles.

It is my belief that the early case color finished receivers age & wear differently due to the alloy of the steel. The early Models (1873, 1876, & 1885) had a higher iron content and very little (if any) nickel steel. The later made guns had a higher nickel content in the steel, which resulted in a “silver” looking finish when the case colors faded or wore off.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
April 13, 2017 - 12:54 pm

Thanks Austin/Bert for clearing that up. 

This site adds to our Winchester education on a daily basis. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: wally, cj57, Maverick, antler1, clarence, MNwin
Guest(s) 131
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026
Chuck: 4597