Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
"Unmarked" 1894 Carbine
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 7, 2018 - 5:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I recently acquired a Model 94 Carbine, 25-35 WCF, Serial #1,559,193. Although not an ardent collector, I do enjoy older firearms and some of the oddities that come along every now and then. This particular carbine was manufactured in 1948, according to the records search on this website. The thing that got my attention was the tang on this firearm. It lacked the usual “Winchester” stamp on the tang, and it was not drilled & tapped to accept a tang mounted peep sight. My first suspicion was that at one time the tang may have been broken off and repaired (I have seen that on a number of older specimens, including old Sharps). I removed the butt stock, and this has not ever been broken and repaired. My question is, how often specimens like this are encountered? I would imagine it a rarity for firearms to get out of the factory not being completely marked. 

I am reasonably certain that the firearm has not been altered. The butt plate is the flat checkered steel, and the bottom of the round barrel is stamped “25-35” and “48” at the breech end. 

Thank you for any insight to this.

Bill G.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
January 7, 2018 - 7:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Bill,

Winchester stopped drilling & tapping the upper tang for a sight in mid June of 1942. Two months later, production of the Model 94 was temporarily halted to support WW II arms production efforts (August 23rd, 1942), and when production resumed in September of 1945, the upper tang marking was omitted. All Model 94 Carbines manufactured in the Post WW II years are devoid of the upper tang marking, and the tang sight mounting hole. Based on new data I have received, your Model 94 was actually manufactured in January of 1949. The “48” marked barrel is not unusual. Barrels were made in large batches, and then used as needed to fill orders. Is the front barrel band rounded, or flat?

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
January 7, 2018 - 9:52 pm

Bert,

The front barrel band is rounded, not flat stock. I was curious, because of all the 94’s I’ve seen and handled over the years, I had never encountered one with the unmarked, undrilled tang. Although not pristine, it has perhaps 70% bluing remaining, with the action showing the most wear from handling and carrying. Used, but not abused. 

Thank you again for the information! 

Regards,

Bill

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
January 7, 2018 - 10:36 pm

[email protected] said
Bert,

The front barrel band is rounded, not flat stock. I was curious, because of all the 94’s I’ve seen and handled over the years, I had never encountered one with the unmarked, undrilled tang. Although not pristine, it has perhaps 70% bluing remaining, with the action showing the most wear from handling and carrying. Used, but not abused. 

Thank you again for the information! 

Regards,

Bill  

Thanks for the update.  Winchester transitioned from the flat style front barrel band back to the rounded band in December of 1948, but a few of them were assembled in January/February of 1949 (parts clean-up). 

You must have had a “sheltered” exposure to the Model 94 for the past 75+ years, or nobody in your area has purchased one since before World War II.  The last pre-64 Model 94 with a roll marked upper tang was serial number 1343183, August 23rd, 1942.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
January 8, 2018 - 2:52 am

Well Bert, as I said, I’m not much of an expert on the Model 94, but I do enjoy having a few old timers in the safe. It’s nice to have an old firearm that’s in reasonably good condition and all original. I may not be a complete expert on firearm identification, but I’ve been around enough to know that many of the guns I see have been reconditioned to some degree and the sellers are asking way too much money for them. The sad part is, they can get that money from the uninitiated.

I have handled quite a few Winchesters in my time in passing, but honestly, this is the first “unmarked” 94 I have encountered. I have seen them marked “Model 94” and “Model 1894”, I have seen them marked “Winchester” in different fonts. Never one with a clean tang. It stumped me, and I’m grateful you could clear that up for me!

Regards,

Bill

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 104
January 8, 2018 - 4:31 am

For a while the 94 was not drilled and tapped for either a tang sight or a receiver sight. Not too long after this they started drilling and tapping the left side for a receiver sight.

THIS ALL STARTED WITH JUST ONE GUN!

IMG_4414-Copy.JPG

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Randycrockett
Guest(s) 98
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4968
Chuck: 4566