Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
unique Model 1895 take-down
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Michigan
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 15, 2019 - 1:07 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Good Evening All:

I am brand new to the web site. Was referred by an existing member. I have posed some questions to him about a unique Model 1895 take-down I acquired a few years back from a pawn shop in California.  The rifle is chambered in 30-06, What is unique, in my opinion are a couple of things. First this rifle had a carbine stock with the steel curved buttplate. There are target blocks on the barrel. The Winchester proof mark on the barrel is stamped forward of the back block. There is a Sheard leaf sight on the barrel. The front sight was a beat up small brass bead.

After receiving the rifle, I checked it out. It’s condition was as advertised. Bore is clean and sharp. Functions and fires. I bought the rifle for purposes of going on a lever-action elk hunt with a friend of mine whom is a well-known gunmaker and restorer. Sadly the hunt never worked out for me. But I decided that this rifle needed a lease on life. I had a new stock and forend milled for the rifle from a piece of walnut I had acquired here in Michigan. The dimensions of the stock were patterned of a gentleman’s rifle whom is built like me: tall and kinda big. I did the final bit of shaping to the stock (very very little), and applied a hand-rubbed oil finish. The metal was restored by Dan Printz. Traditional bluing and color casehardening with a few special touches I wanted.

It seems to me that the target blocks and Sheard sight would have been a special order and perhaps the carbine stock. I’d like to know. What do you think? At one time there had been a tang sight on the rifle as well. It did not sport one when I bought it. I may or may not put another on it. You will note I have not yet replaced the front sight blade. Just don’t know what to put on there.  Lastly, how do I post photos?

Any feed back from you all is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

TallOak

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
January 15, 2019 - 1:21 am

Hello & welcome to the WACA website. 

As a WACA Guest, you cannot directly post pictures to a topic post.  You can upload them to a photo host website, and then post a link to where they are stored.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Michigan
WACA Guest
January 15, 2019 - 1:47 am

Understood Bert. Given the information I provided, any thoughts on the rifle?

TallOak

Michigan
WACA Guest
January 15, 2019 - 2:03 am

The serial number is 761**

TallOak

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10832
January 15, 2019 - 2:03 am

TallOak said
Understood Bert. Given the information I provided, any thoughts on the rifle?  

No, at least not until I can see the pictures of it.  The serial number would help determine when it was manufactured, and I suspect that the carbine (musket) style stock was original. 

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 132
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6361
TXGunNut: 5026