Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Three digit Model 1894 with mismatched parts
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 29, 2019 - 11:39 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

New member here.  A local museum asked for help evaluating a donated collection of 32 Model 1894 and Model 94 rifles and carbines.  About 1/3 of the collection are commemoratives in the original boxes with commemorative ammunition. 

The other firearms range from a 3 digit serial # in .38-55 through relatively recent angle eject guns with safety in new condition.  Although the donor was supposedly a knowledgeable collector, several were mixmasters:  An early carbine with a newer buttstock and steel shotgun buttplate, a carbine with replaced barrel and magazine tube, carbine with a replaced loading gate spring cover, a couple with replaced sights, rifle with replaced barrel that was loose in the action.  

My question is about the .38-55.  The finger lever link, the breech bolt, and carrier are obvious replacements.  The rest of the rifle (26 inch round barrel) would grade very good antique standards with even brown patina, clear and sharp markings.  Wood also very good with minor dings and wear, no missing wood or bruises.  No remaining blue even in protected areas.  The donor claims the rifle was appraised at $6000, and the museum considers it the “gem” of the collection. 

I understand no one will want to place a value on the gun without more information and lots of pictures.  But how much do the replaced parts detract from  collector value?

If there is interest,  I can ask the curator to provide pictures although I have tried to post pictures here before without success. 

Thank you for your time and patience.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10726
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
May 30, 2019 - 2:57 pm

The fact that it is a 3-digit serial number very strongly points towards it being a 1st variation Model 1894, which adds a premium to the value. This is a case where clear detailed pictures of the rifle are needed to provide a meaningful assessment.

If you can, send photos of the rifle to me at [email protected]

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 1, 2019 - 8:56 pm

The staff at the museum took the gun to Cody where it was verified made in the third month of production. I’ll ask the curator for pictures.  Thanks for the offer.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bert H., deerhunter, freebird1968
Guest(s) 165
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6281
TXGunNut: 4970
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4282
steve004: 4160