Avatar
Search
Forum Scope




Match



Forum Options



Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Thoughts on this 1886 Rifle
Avatar
kevindpm61
Brownstown, PA
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 241
Member Since:
October 14, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
1
October 7, 2026 - 6:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi gang.  I don’t have interest in this rifle but I just stumbled upon it on the Simpson website.  Description states that it may have been restored but it’s difficult for them to tell because of the quality of the restoration.  I’m interested in knowing what the experts say here.

 

https://www.simpsonltd.com/products/C74810

Avatar
Bert H.
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 14798
Member Since:
April 15, 2005
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
2
October 7, 2026 - 6:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

As the seller states “probably restored”.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Avatar
Chuck
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6879
Member Since:
March 31, 2009
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3
October 7, 2026 - 7:37 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Most likely restored.  Metal to wood fitment is not up to Winchester standards. 

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7654
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4
October 7, 2026 - 11:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very nice. IF restored seems to be an above average job. 

 

Mike 

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
Northern Michigan
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 196
Member Since:
February 26, 2021
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5
October 8, 2026 - 12:43 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

TXGunNut said
Very nice. IF restored seems to be an above average job. 
 
Mike 
  

I agree…..☝🏽 

IMG_0767.jpeg

Avatar
TXGunNut
Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 7654
Member Since:
November 7, 2015
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6
October 8, 2026 - 1:32 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

My issue is that it’s too nice. Screws are perfect with no oil or other residue in the slots and no hint a poorly fit screwdriver has ever touched them. The wood to metal gaps are maybe a bit wide but again, no oil or other residue. I think at the very least it has been disassembled recently and thoroughly cleaned. No idea why that would be necessary. Pics all look nice but the pics of the stampings, dovetails and sights are conspicuous in their absence. Very nice. 

 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Board Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Avatar
mrcvs
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2520
Member Since:
September 22, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
7
October 8, 2026 - 2:40 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

The wood to metal fit, especially at the rear receiver and the buttstock is not of factory quality and tells us this is likely a restoration.

Because of this, the asking price of $18,500 is well beyond exuberant.

Avatar
MidwestCrisis
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 305
Member Since:
January 8, 2025
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
8
October 8, 2026 - 3:22 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

How often would someone that’s not a member of WACA have a gun refinished like that?  Seems to me Simpson is giving accolades to the gunsmiths that did the work, but also giving a collector something to ponder on.  There’s a couple videos on the YouTube.  The RIA in its original shipping crate.  And a wonderful refinished 1886 that’s been on this forum, and is a gorgeous rifle.  

Avatar
kevindpm61
Brownstown, PA
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 241
Member Since:
October 14, 2024
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
9
October 8, 2026 - 9:51 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

I thought that it was a very nice looking rifle ……….almost to nice. I don’t study the market value of the 1886’s but, the price seemed high to me.

Avatar
Anthony #5411
Ohio
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1970
Member Since:
December 9, 2002
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
10
October 8, 2026 - 11:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory

I’m in agreement with the members here, and as Bert said it was stated as “probably restored”!

One has to ask themself, if a rifle was bought 1890, did the buyer of this said rifle choose to buy it and leave it in storage? With it’s original finish and protective coating on it to keep it pristine?

I highly Doubt it!

Where’s the box and paper work? We know that keeping that back then wasn’t considered anything that was really done. Just taking it out over the years to play show and tell with family and friends can show some handling marks. This ones metal finish looks new! So is the wood!

I highly doubt it!

I know that I wouldn’t be interested in it, as a restored example for $18,000.00! One could get a Turnbull example for that kind of money that seems to hold they’re value and possibly increase with provenance!

I do agree, it’s a very clean example, and a pretty nice job was done on it, as the work out there has improved that we are seeing today!

Tony

Avatar
Zebulon
Texas
Member
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2395
Member Since:
January 20, 2023
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11
October 8, 2026 - 3:46 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

If you just want one to play with, you can get a 45-90 for less than a 10th of 18K and the workmanship is as good as on that one. pix950369800.jpgpix653111735.jpgpix068827585.jpgpix552686504.jpgpix486635438.jpgpix368043442.jpg

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

- Bill 

 

WACA # 65205; life member, NRA; member, TGCA; member, TSRA; amateur preservationist

"I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both, and I believe they both get paid in the end, but the fools first." -- David Balfour, narrator and protagonist of the novel, Kidnapped, by Robert Louis Stevenson.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 21294
Currently Online: XLIV, Bert H., Brad Dunbar, antler1, Tedk, Bill Yadlosky, Jeremy P, gene66
Guest(s) 29
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
TXGunNut: 7654
clarence: 7119
Chuck: 6879
steve004: 5850
1873man: 4993
deerhunter: 3076
twobit: 2748
Big Larry: 2578
mrcvs: 2520
Zebulon: 2395
Newest Members:
Drero
Keebler98
DougW
MMM
WyoTip
ArtistryUnlimitedLLC
julee3434
John D. Mikle
tdnathens
De Hulsters Rudy
Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 18
Topics: 16323
Posts: 149437

 

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 2057
Members: 11000
Moderators: 3
Admins: 4
Administrators: Mike Hager, Bert H., JWA, SethJ
Moderators: Rob Kassab, Brad Dunbar, Heather
Navigation