Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
The ad is titled 100% Original Winchester 1886
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 9, 2023 - 9:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/962346157

And in the description:   “hardly any wear to the original finish and furniture”

Before I saw the photos I thought this might be a nice one.  I saw the price $3999.99 with a buy-it-now of $4499.99 and thought, this must be one darn nice .33 WCF for that kind of money.

Gunbroker reminds me a lot of reality TV – there ain’t nothing real about it.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 37
February 9, 2023 - 9:58 pm

Hideous case coloring.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6383
February 9, 2023 - 10:42 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

But at least the seller displays some modesty–he isn’t bragging about his “40 yrs in the high end gun biz,” like the lying crook selling that so-called “Gallery” Model 90. 

All these con-artists have to do to avoid branding themselves as flagrant liars is say something like “don’t know much about old guns, so judge for yourself.”  But the urge to pile on the BS hype is obviously irresistible.

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 805
February 9, 2023 - 11:06 pm

I believe someone removed the Lyman side sight too.  RDB

Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 36
February 10, 2023 - 1:57 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

clarence said
But at least the seller displays some modesty–he isn’t bragging about his “40 yrs in the high end gun biz,” like the lying crook selling that so-called “Gallery” Model 90. 

All these con-artists have to do to avoid branding themselves as flagrant liars is say something like “don’t know much about old guns, so judge for yourself.”  But the urge to pile on the BS hype is obviously irresistible.

Clarence, 

Have you ever thought about using the “Contact Seller Option” on GB and let them know that their description is incorrect or that they’re being “Flagrant Liars” about what they are selling?

I do all the time (except for the flagrant liar thingy) if it’s a Winchester that I’m interested in and “I” believe that their description is incorrect regardless of how much there asking price is. I contact them and let them know. Most change their ad and some don’t. I do this even if I’m not a bidder.

Not everyone on the interweb has your Vast knowledge of old Winchesters.Wink

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
February 10, 2023 - 2:14 am

Somebody wore out a couple of perfectly good buffing wheels on this little gem. I must admit I like the leather case but I really didn’t see enough to say for sure. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 235
February 10, 2023 - 2:16 am

It appears to have a blued muzzle!

Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 36
February 10, 2023 - 2:45 am

86Win said
It appears to have a blued muzzle!

It’s been Completely re-finished and Not  restored or conserved. But someone spent a lot of money getting the work done or spent a lot of time doing the work and nobody told them that a really good “refinish” will Kill the desire to buy/collect for most. IMHO

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6383
February 10, 2023 - 3:20 am

Bobbys94 said

Clarence, 

Have you ever thought about using the “Contact Seller Option” on GB and let them know that their description is incorrect or that they’re being “Flagrant Liars” about what they are selling?

I do all the time (except for the flagrant liar thingy) if it’s a Winchester that I’m interested in and “I” believe that their description is incorrect regardless of how much there asking price is. I contact them and let them know. Most change their ad and some don’t. I do this even if I’m not a bidder.

Not everyone on the interweb has your Vast knowledge of old Winchesters.Wink

You mean a dealer with “40 yrs in the high end gun business” needs to be educated by poor amateur ME?    And are you suggesting that it requires a “Vast knowledge of old Winchesters” to recognize pitting under bluing, or the ring of a liner at the muzzle?

The “Gallery” ’90 seller is as brazen a crook as I’ve ever seen on GB, but I’d actually be willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the ’86 seller, had he not set such a low BIN price for his “100% mint” ’86; a 10 G gun if it truly was as described.  Which suggests he wants to unload it quickly.

For a time during the early yrs of ebay, I DID seriously attempt the mission of educating the ignorant–the greatest exercise in futility I’ve ever undertaken.  Honestly mistaken sellers simply assumed my object was to bad-mouth their wares so I could buy them more cheaply. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 28
February 10, 2023 - 10:38 am

[email protected] said
Hideous case coloring.

I’m not nearly as educated as you folks here, but that finish looks more like the modern chemical CCH finish to my eye. The kind of CCH found on new Henry’s, Ubertis, Winchesters and whatnot. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 605
February 10, 2023 - 11:03 am

They stopped CC on 86’s in 1900 at around Ser 122,000 so my first red flag.  This says 1903 DOM so unless a special order was still available it should be blued. I have to agree the CC is hideous and not even close to original even if I wanted it refinished with CC. Also looks like a space between the top of the butt plate and wood. I have my doubts about the stain color being original as it looks too light and varnished. Just my observations. 

Rick C 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
February 10, 2023 - 1:05 pm

Any .33 WCF with a case colored receiver is a serious red flag.  I have never seen a .33 WCF that had been originally case colored.  Collectors often reference  how Winchester would do anything for a customer and hence, some unexpected special features are sometimes found.  I don’t think that applied to applying case color.  My memory is that when Winchester stopped applying case color to receivers, they stopped applying case colors to receivers.  This M86 is done so poorly of course that it is nauseatingly obvious it is not original (or even redone by an expert).

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 605
February 10, 2023 - 1:47 pm

And this isn’t a seller that doesn’t know anything about guns. Bottom of the ad says,

*See pictures for complete description

**Please note items listed are also for sale in our store.
All listings are subject to removal if item sells in store

Magnum’s Guns II 

207 James Canyon Hwy 82,
PO Box 1320
Cloudcroft, New Mexico 88317

Rick C 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
February 10, 2023 - 5:18 pm

It was August 1901 when Winchester ceased case color finishing the Single Shot, Model 1886, and Model 1890 as a “standard” finish and as a “special order” finish on the Models 1873, 1892, and 1894. Production of the Model 1876 and Model 1887 had been discontinued. As Steve pointed out, all factory original 33 WCF rifles were manufactured with a blued receiver frame.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323