Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Please confirm you want to mark all posts read

Mark all topics read

sp_MobileMenu Actions

New/Updated Topics

Select Forum

sp_TopicIcon
Strange issue with a Model 1890
Jeff Giesel
December 12, 2014 - 5:31 am

1sp_QuotePost

I just purchased a very nice Win. Model 1890 serial #430891 DOM 1911. The top of the hex barrel is stamped 22 W.R.F. When I got back home I tried to load the rifle to check how it feed and cycled. To my surprise .22 WRF cartridges would not fit the slot in the tube magazine, will not feed into the receiver or fit the barrel chamber. The .22 WRF rounds are to large. So I tried .22 LR’s and that round fit the magazine, receiver and barrel chamber. I don’t believe this rifle has been modified and if so the caliber stamp on the barrel (.22 W.R.F) should chamber the .22 WRF cartridge not .22 LR. I have not test fired the rifle yet and will not until I understand whats going on here. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? My contact information: [email protected]

Sincerely,

Jeff Giesel

Kingston, WA
December 15, 2014 - 8:44 pm

2sp_QuotePost

Hello Jeff,

If the barrel is marked “22 W.R.F.”, I would make the assumption that it is chambered for that cartridge. I will suggest that you try single feeding a cartridge through the top and see if it chambers. If it does, you serious have a problem, and most likely an incorrectly altered rifle.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Wyoming - Gods Country
December 16, 2014 - 4:19 am

3sp_QuotePost

Jeff,

Does the lower forward portion of the receiver have WRF stamped lightly just under the magazine tube connection point? Its a good way to verify that the receiver was made for this cartridge. As Bert said, even if its a pieced together rifle, the WRF round should fit the barrel if fed like a single shot. Since the 22 LR was not even offered at that time for the 1890, its possible the mag tube and receiver are for a 22 Long and the barrel is a WRF. Either way, its not sounding good so far.

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

December 16, 2014 - 5:20 am

4sp_QuotePost

Winchester-1890-22-WRF-ser-no-289257-51.jpgImage Enlarger

Hello,

This is the stamp you should be looking for on the bottom of the receiver face. 

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Johnnymaxxima
April 25, 2015 - 12:28 am

5sp_QuotePost

Hello Jeff. 

Just curious if you have had a resolution to this? I too have this same issue. Although my slot for the tube does fit the ammo, the  receiver and the barrel will not fit the ammo. Mine does say .22 WRF in two different locations on the gun. I am bummed as I just purchased 1200  rounds of this ammo. 

Thaks

John

June 25, 2017 - 9:15 pm

6sp_QuotePost

I also have a model 90 (1890) stamped 22 WRF. Those cartridges fit the chamber and the loading slot, but feed into the carrier so far they allow the next cartridge to partially enter the carrier preventing feeding. This carrier does not have the hinged cartridge stop of the 1906. (And there is no pin hole to fit such a stop) Rather it has a fixed blade on the front of the carrier that appears designed to cam the second round back into the magazine. But it doesn’t function in this way. It looks like it might function in this way if the second cartridge didn’t feed so far into the carrier (about 0.25 to 0.375 in enters the carrier.

Should there be be some stop in the carrier to top the first cartridge? What is not working correctly?

Ray

Ray James, College Station, Texas

June 25, 2017 - 10:23 pm

7sp_QuotePost

The cartridge is stopped simply by the depth of the recess in the carrier.  Each of the 1890 calibers have a different depth of cartridge recesses in the carrier with the WRF being the deepest.  It sounds as if yours might be worn or modified so that it is too deep.  For a quick check you can cut a pencil easer and insert it into the carrier in various thickness until you get the right depth of the cartridge and see if that solves the problem.  If so, then you can set about either repairing or replacing the carrier, secure in the knowledge that it is the culprit. 

A picture of the carrier would help us troubleshoot it for you also. 

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

Forum Timezone:
UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (21), Phone (32), Tablet (1)

Forum Stats:
Groups: 1
Forums: 17
Topics: 12611
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 1741
Members: 8776
Moderators: 4
Admins: 3
Navigation