Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Seeking information for this Model 1894
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 3
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 19, 2019 - 11:17 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hello,

I am hoping to gather a few opinions and appraisals of value by the knowledgeable members here on this forum for my model 1894 which I inherited over 20 years ago.  It has spent most of the last 40 years being stored with only a few times at the range during this time. The photos posted are of its current condition as I received it years ago.

I would like to find out more details about what I own exactly. Beyond being a novice owner, I know that it is a model 1894 and has an octagon barrel chambered in 30-CWF. Base on the serial# 114xxx the database states its DOM was 1901. When I inherited this rifle, I contacted Winchester to determine its DOM and I was given the date as 1898 rather than 1901 over the phone by the representative, so I am not sure as to why there is a discrepancy between the dates.

Beyond that I know very little.

Some specific questions I would like to gain better perspective on are:

• What is the barrel length?
  • Is the magazine considered full length?
  • Would this be considered a Deluxe model?
  • Are all the brass work inlays factory done by Winchester or a later custom non-factory addition?
  • How excessive is the wear on the original bluing finish?
  • What would its overall condition be classified as?
  • How best to preserve its current condition and prevent any future degradation?
  • What is its estimated value as it sits?
  • What are the overall impressions of the condition of the stock and fore grip?

Any and all information by any member willing to contribute would be greatly appreciated!

W1894-1Image Enlarger

1894-2Image Enlarger

1894-3Image Enlarger

1894-4Image Enlarger

1894-5Image Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
June 20, 2019 - 2:48 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello Scott,

Your Model 1894 is a standard (not a deluxe) Sporting Rifle, caliber 30 W.C.F. (Winchester Center Fire), and it has an octagon (8-sided) barrel versus hexagon (6-sided) barrel.

If you called the 1-800 number listed on the so called “Winchester” website, they gave you incorrect information in regards to the date of manufacture. Per the original factory records (at the Cody Firearms Museum records office), serial number 114057 was manufactured in the month of May, 1901. If you would like the specific date, and the “as built” information, the CFM records office can for a fee, provide you with a Factory letter with all available details.

The standard barrel length for the Model 1894 Sporting Rifles was 26-inches, and the magazine tube is Full length to the barrel.

The nickel plated brass inlays in the stocks are aftermarket alterations, installed by a previous owner. Winchester did not engrave anything on that rifle. Unfortunately, the alteration to the stocks significantly detracts from the value of the rifle in the collector market.

The bluing appears to have a moderate patina layer, and the overall graded condition of the rifle is something < 30%.

I do not have a reasonably accurate estimate of what it might be worth. What I can tell you, is that the majority of Winchester collectors would not be willing to pay a significant amount for it, especially if the intent was to resell it in the near future.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1043
June 20, 2019 - 3:50 am

As Bert said above, its a standard rifle.  The embellishment to the wood was added somewhere down the line.  The rear sight is likely a replacement as you normally find those on rifles in 32 Winchester Special.  For the “purist” of collectors there likely wouldnt be much interest because of the inlay embellishment of the wood.  The addition of the inlays would be viewed more as a novelty, however they speak to the tastes and character of a prior owner who installed them, or to a beauty found in the eye of a beholder.  Its a fine example of the lengths some will go to adorn and personalize their guns.     

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
June 20, 2019 - 4:07 am

I agree with Bert and 1892takedown.

The subjective eye of this beholder favors your rifle.  I like it, a lot.  The only thing I would change is the rear site.  I’d keep it. 

Sweet!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4603
June 20, 2019 - 4:40 pm

If this is a family gun it is priceless…

WACA Guest
June 20, 2019 - 5:04 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Just for my own education, what is the differences between a Standard and Deluxe rifle?

I had my assumptions regarding the inlay not being done by Winchester. To me it looked very folk art-ish and would expect any inlay to match the quality of engraved rifle examples produced at the time if done by the factory. All I can say about the inlays is that they have just always been there according to the history associated with the rifle, so they were done early on in its life, but it is nice to have a definitive answer about them good or bad.

In general, what sort of information does an “as built” information contain about a rifle?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10858
June 20, 2019 - 5:20 pm

Scott,

Refer to the web link below.  It shows a Fancy Sporting Rifle, and a Factory letter.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/72/2044/winchester-model-1894-fancy-takedown-rifle

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 491
June 20, 2019 - 9:26 pm

The “folk art” ish look is what I like. 

Hard to explain, but I don’t like something that is trying to pretend to be something it is not (fakes designed to enhance resale value to those who don’t know any better, like certain engraving, 1 of 1,000, kill notches, Indian tacks, etc.). 

On the other hand, if some one decided to “play with” or art-up, or personalize his gun for his own sake, I can roll with that, so long as it appeals to my subjective eye and isn’t really sloppy (crappy pocket knife initials, etc.).

I’ve seen old Kentucky rifles, Hawkins and whatnot that your gun kind of reminds me of.  And, like Chuck said, if it’s been in your family you will never replace it.

WACA Guest
June 21, 2019 - 3:23 am

Thank you Bert for the all the info and the link. Very informative!

Huck and Chuck,

Yes, it has been in the family since it was new. As the oral history goes, I am the 4th owner and the inlays placed before the 2nd owner as he claimed it was there when he inherited it according to the 3rd owner, so that would place the inlay being done after 1901 and before 1927 since the original owner died in that year.  As with any family gun the sentimental value tops all. 

Still getting my head around things as a potential collector in the future. Since the inlays significantly detracts from the value of this rifle in the collector market are stocks (wood) the most important part that has the greatest affects on their values? If not what contributes most or is their a ranking of some kind?

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
June 21, 2019 - 12:57 pm

Scott-

I would venture to say that all aspects are important to a collector and any departure from originality detracts significantly from the value for the discerning collector. Overal condition is important as well. OTOH some collectors like a bit of “character” and this gun has an abundance. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4603
June 21, 2019 - 5:23 pm

Scott if you are thinking about collecting figure out what you like, buy some books on the type of gun you like, ask a lot of questions on this website, and take pictures and post them here before you buy.  If you are able to go to antique gun shows do so and look at a lot of guns similar to what you like.  There is a lot of crooks out there.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6395
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2307