Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Question on authenticity of some 1892's
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
Rural Nevada
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 67
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 10, 2020 - 1:21 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I recently discovered that two of my model 1892 which I bought as ‘original’ are lacking proof marks and I’d like to determine if Winchester sent out any of the early 1892 without proof marks. 

Both of the rifles in question have serial numbers indicating manufacture of 1905. One has a proof mark on the receiver but none on the barrel. The other has no visible proof mark on barrel or receiver. 

Both match the Cody Museum research. That is to say, the caliber, barrel and magazine are as stated in the records. They appear unaltered in any way. I can’t see any evidence that the proof marks have been ‘brushed’ away. The finish on metal and wood all appear original, with uniform wear.

Do I have modified rifles, or is there a chance that Winchester shipped them in this time frame lacking some proof marks?

Any help is appreciated.

NP

Nevada Paul

Life Member NRA

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
January 10, 2020 - 1:43 am

I have several ’92’s up to 1906 with no proof marks, twobit will be better able to tell You when they started using proofs on them and may be explain why proofed rec’vr and not he bbl.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

Rural Nevada
WACA Member
January 10, 2020 - 1:48 am

Thanks!  That gives me hope that these two are genuine. They certainly appear so otherwise.

Nevada Paul

Life Member NRA

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4601
January 10, 2020 - 2:13 am

Very close to 1905 is when the proof marks were added.  Like Henry said twobit or Bert can answer this better.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2306
January 10, 2020 - 9:16 pm

Nevada Paul said
I recently discovered that two of my model 1892 which I bought as ‘original’ are lacking proof marks and I’d like to determine if Winchester sent out any of the early 1892 without proof marks. 

Both of the rifles in question have serial numbers indicating manufacture of 1905. One has a proof mark on the receiver but none on the barrel. The other has no visible proof mark on barrel or receiver. 

Both match the Cody Museum research. That is to say, the caliber, barrel and magazine are as stated in the records. They appear unaltered in any way. I can’t see any evidence that the proof marks have been ‘brushed’ away. The finish on metal and wood all appear original, with uniform wear.

Do I have modified rifles, or is there a chance that Winchester shipped them in this time frame lacking some proof marks?

Any help is appreciated.

NP  

Hello,

I will be happy to help you.  Can you send me a series of photos to [email protected]  The 1892’s are consistently proofed after SN 300,000 during 1905.  There are certainly earlier guns that were assembled with receivers serialized  earlier but not used to make up a fully assembled gun until later after the process of proof stamps started.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Rural Nevada
WACA Member
January 10, 2020 - 9:26 pm

Thanks Michael. 

I’ll certainly send photos as soon as I get back home which will be not before next weekend. 

I appreciate the feedback and help.

Paul 

Nevada Paul

Life Member NRA

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: pdog72, mrcvs, MCorrell, Steven Gabrielli, Edward Kitner, SureShot
Guest(s) 227
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2353
twobit: 2306
mrcvs: 1727