Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Question about M1886 for sale on gunauction
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4261
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 18, 2017 - 6:22 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I find myself struggling with understanding the high bidding on this one.  The auction ends later today and is over $5000.  This seems a decent piece in all respects except one – the alteration to the muzzle/bore.  This is clearly specified by the seller – in both the description and he shows excellent photos.  No attempted deception.  Clearly, given the bidding, this piece is pulling strong collector interest. I would potentially pursue it for a shooter (at a shooter price) but even then, the alteration would bug me.  My question is to other collectors out there – how deeply would you be affected by the alteration – both from an interest as well as bidding perspective?

https://www.gunauction.com/buy/14456641

SO. Oregon
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 678
June 18, 2017 - 6:37 pm

I don’t think the recrown would have any effect on the value. After all, a damaged crown would definitely effect the value, both as a collectable and a shooter.

Vince
Southern Oregon
NRA member
Fraternal Order of Eagles

“There is but one answer to be made to the dynamite bomb and that can best be made by the Winchester rifle.”

Teddy Roosevelt 

4029-1.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 482
June 18, 2017 - 9:07 pm

I’m typically a purest in regard to Winchesters I purchase being totally original, however this condition doesn’t really bother me much in that I see it more a repair then say a barrel replacement, sleeve or re-blue. Seems like a decent 86 45-90 for the current bid price. 

IMG_0805-Copy-Copy-Copy.JPG

Winchester Model 1873 44-40 circa 1886

Wisconsin
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4323
June 18, 2017 - 9:47 pm

I can guess someone is just going to age the chamfer so it doesn’t catch your eye and live with it.

Bob

WACA Life Member---
NRA Life Member----
Cody Firearms member since 1991
Researching the Winchester 1873's

73_86cutaway.jpg

Email: [email protected]

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1725
June 18, 2017 - 10:41 pm

The chamfer would not bother me, but what if it was the end of a barrel liner? T/R 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2303
June 18, 2017 - 11:14 pm

The muzzle chamfer does not bother me and the rifle is quite fine looking.  I bet it will get more expensive in the next 50 minutes when the bidders get down to “business.”  If I were in the market for this rifle I would be bidding.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5052
June 18, 2017 - 11:30 pm

Looks like a very nice rifle, I believe Michael is correct. I suspect this rifle will go for a bit more than the current bid.

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
June 19, 2017 - 12:04 am

Buf and Chu are slugging it out.  191 has entered the race.  Chu has dropped out.  We are inside the 10 minute rule and down to 2 players.  Nice little horse race. 

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Member
June 19, 2017 - 12:06 am

And here comes Ste out of the left field stands to join in the fray!!!  Hold onto your hats folks.  This could get interesting!  It’s a menage a trois of bidding.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

WACA Member
June 19, 2017 - 12:18 am

Well, no doubt we’ve left shooters like me in the dust.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
WACA Member
June 19, 2017 - 12:23 am

Nice rifle, was thinking it would top $6K but had no idea it would go that high. Was waiting for that last second bid.

BBHC Member, TGCA Member
WACA Guest
June 19, 2017 - 12:54 am

I believe the winning bidder at $7305 did well, of course the juice still needs to be added probably 15% or better. 

WACA Member
June 19, 2017 - 1:53 am

At least this is the type auction where the winning bidder doesn’t have to add any juice to his bid.  Just shipping and it’s his.  It went far higher than I could have imagined.  I appreciate the responses to the question I posed.  I learned I am much more of a fussy rifle snob than I had believed I was.  For me, the alteration at the muzzle/bore soured the rifle considerably.  Another factor I didn’t mention but it sure turned me off was the refinished and sanded (albeit it not, “heavily sanded”) buttstock.  “Forgiveness” does not appear to be my middle name.Surprised

WACA Guest
June 19, 2017 - 2:32 am

steve004 said
At least this is the type auction where the winning bidder doesn’t have to add any juice to his bid.  Just shipping and it’s his.  It went far higher than I could have imagined.  I appreciate the responses to the question I posed.  I learned I am much more of a fussy rifle snob than I had believed I was.  For me, the alteration at the muzzle/bore soured the rifle considerably.  Another factor I didn’t mention but it sure turned me off was the refinished and sanded (albeit it not, “heavily sanded”) buttstock.  “Forgiveness” does not appear to be my middle name.Surprised  

Even better for the winning bidder, I’m not familiar with this on-line seller. Even though the stock re-finish is hardly noticeable that’s a deal breaker for me as well as is the little wood sliver missing on the wrist where the right side upper tang and received meet. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 264
June 19, 2017 - 11:29 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

The “chamfer’ needs to be looked at a lot closer! As said it could be a re-lined barrel. Too shallow of an angle to be a normal chamfer. If truly only a recut chamfer then it will not matter to 9 out of 10 collectors. Too hard to find good guns now. Really nice ones go for near 20 to 25K on national auction sites. By the way no 15% buyers premium juice on GA auctions.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
June 19, 2017 - 1:33 pm

Another thing that comes into play here is the seller. He is probably the top seller on Gun Auctions and always has a bunch of very nice, clear pictures and a thorough description of his items. He has a following on the site and will command higher prices just because of who he is and his reputation. Similar to Chayns, AustinsGuns, Ironmen Arms and a few others on GB. They stay out in front of the buyers on a regular basis, have good feedback, good pictures and descriptions, and pretty much know the product. If I would have had that gun for sale, it probably would have brought $1200.00-1500.00 less. Peter

WACA Member
June 19, 2017 - 5:20 pm

Eagle said
Another thing that comes into play here is the seller. He is probably the top seller on Gun Auctions and always has a bunch of very nice, clear pictures and a thorough description of his items. He has a following on the site and will command higher prices just because of who he is and his reputation. Similar to Chayns, AustinsGuns, Ironmen Arms and a few others on GB. They stay out in front of the buyers on a regular basis, have good feedback, good pictures and descriptions, and pretty much know the product. If I would have had that gun for sale, it probably would have brought $1200.00-1500.00 less. Peter  

I’m in 100% agreement with all points you have stated.

NE OREGON
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 535
June 20, 2017 - 5:21 pm

And something else I forgot to mention…all of these sellers start their auctions at a very low starting price, like .01, and have no reserves. IMO, that gets the action going and the interest alive. Peter

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6384
TXGunNut: 5052
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303