Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Pre-64 Model 70 target in .243
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 7
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 2, 2019 - 9:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

An acquaintance approached me about selling a rifle that I am unsure of the originality, mainly due to my ignorance of the variations.  It is a 1956 Model 70 in .243 with the varmint barrel but it is in a target stock.  The stock is near perfect as is the metal on the rifle but the stock is pretty shiny, like it has a varnish instead of being oiled.  No checkering present.  He is unsure of its originality as he bought it 15 years ago from a guy who never shot it. 

I don’t own Rule’s book but am wondering if it has any info on ranges of serial numbers of which a target rifle is chambered in this caliber.

Any response is much appreciated regarding the possibility of it being original but I have no pics yet.

Winchester, VA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 976
September 3, 2019 - 12:26 am

Hi farlow-

The M70 Target Model was dropped from the catalog after 1952, but continued to be made on order.  As a result, 1953-54 Target rifles seem to command no special value amongst collectors as far as I can tell…  In 1955 (the year before your client’s gun) the Target model was formally reintroduced, chambered only in 30-06 and the then-new 243 WIN chambering. 

The 243 WIN was introduced in 1955 in Standard, regular SG, FWT, SG FWT, Varmint, AND Target configuration.  So the gun in question could well be a legit early-ish 243 WIN Target rifle.  Without photos it’s hard to go beyond what the catalogs say.  There was a fair amount of variation in factory finishes from the late 1940s to early 1950s, so maybe only a hands-on examination could give you a fair opinion of originality, which would be important in determining market value. 

Rule’s book says <700 243 WIN Target rifles were made, but they are by no means “rare” in the marketplace and not particularly desired IMHO.  So despite the smallish numbers, most folks don’t seem to care that much…

Photos might help!!!  As a “Guest” you cannot post photos directly, but can either use a third party hosting service or maybe e-mail to one of us to post on your behalf.  My e-mail is [email protected] if that helps…

Best,

Lou

WACA 9519; Studying Pre-64 Model 70 Winchesters

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

WACA Guest
September 3, 2019 - 1:37 am

Thanks Louis.  I will attempt to get a few pics of pertinent parts of the gun.  May be awhile.   I suppose if it ends up with the stock not being native to the iron, I can always attempt to find a varmint stock to get it closer to original.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
September 3, 2019 - 6:48 am

I really know very little about the Model 70 experience in .243. But such deficit hasn’t ever left me shy to comment.
My own perception from Winchester Model 70 seeker/observer for some couple of active decades… The vast majority of 243 chamberings; first in Featherweight; next in Varmint. Beyond??? I purchased a Model 70 Standard Grade in .243, because it actually seemed a bit less common!
That said, to all a good night!
John

Winchester, VA
WACA Member
September 3, 2019 - 3:25 pm

Hi John-

When the “new” 243 WIN chambering was added to the catalog in 1955, it was offered in just about every style they made at the time.  Featherweight (MC comb only), Standard Rifle (MC comb only), Super Grade FWT, Super Grade (MC comb only), Target Rifle (which is what the OP likely has), and the “new” Varmint Rifle (which at that point was only offered in 243 WIN).

According to the figures in Rule’s book, the SG FWT and Standard SG are the rarest (200-300 of each), followed by the Target Rifle, then the Standard Rifle.  Goodly numbers of Varmint Rifles were made and the regular FWT was hugely popular in 243. Laugh

Best,

Lou

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

Winchester, VA
WACA Member
September 4, 2019 - 5:34 pm

Here are the photos farlow sent me:

target-70-left1.jpgImage Enlargertarget-70-caliber.jpgImage Enlargertarget-70-fore-end.jpgImage Enlargertarget-70-front-swivel.jpgImage Enlargertarget-70-rear-swivel.jpgImage Enlargertarget-70-breech.jpgImage Enlargertarget-70-tang.jpgImage Enlargertarget-70-bolt.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

WACA Member
September 4, 2019 - 11:16 pm

Thanks once again Louis! First for answering the question I was I was seeking concerning comparative configuration rarity factors particular to the .243 chambering in the 70. Second for the multi-pix. My belief, no iron sights standard on such Target models. Correct? (And “fungible”! Like the “fun” in that term! 🙂 )
And again thanks…! 🙂
John

WACA Guest
September 5, 2019 - 1:39 am

Louis:

Many thanks for posting the pics.  I have obligated to obtain the rifle and hope to have enough posts by then to add new pics. 

Winchester, VA
WACA Member
September 5, 2019 - 2:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi John-

The target rifle (1936-1952) was provided with metallic sights.  On the really early ones with a front sight ramp the sights were Lyman 17A front and Lyman 48WJS (not 48WH):

SN-3789-1.jpgImage Enlarger

From about 1938 to 1952, the standard sights were Lyman 77 in AK (cross dovetail) block and Lyman 48WH:

Transition-Target-Rifles-1.jpgImage Enlarger

From 1936 to 1946 the stock was regularly inlet for the Lyman 48 sight.  However, it should be noted that early, even pre-war, target rifles stocks that are not inlet are NOT rare.  The option of a “sightless” G7044C (30-06 target rifle) was specifically cataloged in the pre-war era, and those “clean” stocks show up on many other chamberings as well.  In 1947 the Lyman 48 sight block was redesigned such that inletting the stock was not required.

The target rifle was dropped from the catalog in 1953-54.   When it returned in 1955, the barrels had two D&T holes at the muzzle, replacing the earlier dovetail.  This could be used to affix a Lyman A block.  The 1955 to 1963 target rifles were cataloged only in 30-06 and 243 WIN, although 220 SWIFT target rifles from this period are not rare.  These rifles, including that of the OP, were NOT regularly supplied with sights (RIA photo):

390303-243-WIN.pngImage Enlarger

Regardless of era, all target rifles came with Lyman type scope blocks, 0.360″ high on the barrel and 0.185″ high on the receiver ring.

Hope this helps,

Lou

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA-Signauture-3.jpg

WACA Member
September 6, 2019 - 3:57 pm

Hi Louis!
Realize my ‘thanks’ getting a bit thin as returning with questions, breeding questions! Yet, like a kid at the candy aisle! Great info sources such as this Forum, both addictive and with me, subject to “unabashed exploitation”. Such as copying to file your factual Mod 70 tech info as most recently & kindly shared.
So if you’re feeling “exploited”, at least to confirm and to realize why… “Expertise abuse; with intent!”
And again thanks! 🙂 🙂 🙂
John

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6380
TXGunNut: 5050
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4260