Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Picked up a model 1890 in 22 long
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 113
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 15, 2019 - 5:48 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I stopped into an out of the way middle of nowhere gunshop coming back from west Texas and tucked in the corner of the gun rack was an old 1890 octagon barrel in 22 long.  Barrel is in decent shape as is the bore, action is patina’d/gray but no rust or pitting is visible.  Forearm is in good condition, has part of an old lyman tang sight mounted on it….I am going to have to completely sand down and refinish the butt stock.  It is rough.  No breaks or cracks or anything just scratched up and literally rough to the touch. It is a takedown model.

I know little to nothing about these guns other than my grandmother and father loved to go squirrel hunting with them back before I was born.  Believe I have some .22 long CBs stashed away somewhere I van try in it.  Something to look forward to when I finish driving home.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 886
June 15, 2019 - 7:09 pm

They are great little rifles, my favorite 22. I’ve purchased many just for parts while in the process of completing my collection. It’s amazing just how bad the condition can be and they will still function. How much debris, powder residue, dried oil, gunk and what not inside the internals and just like the old Timex commercial they still keep on ticking…..  I don’t know how the accuracy of the long CB’s will be, but It would be of your best interest to order some standard velocity Longs to see how well your rifle really shoots. I’ve tried CB’s in quite a few different applications and accuracy has always been dismal. Just my experience….. Give us a range report. I’ve got several with tang sights that will hold 1″ or a little better at 50 yards off a rest. (something for comparison)

Erin

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 113
June 15, 2019 - 8:52 pm

I am just amazed at how cheap a gun with an ugly stock can be some times

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
June 15, 2019 - 9:16 pm

Erin Grivicich said
I’ve tried CB’s in quite a few different applications and accuracy has always been dismal. Just my experience…..

Not your experience only!  I’ve tried them off & on for years, in many different rifles, though always in LR chambers; nor are my standards unreasonably high–attaining 1″ @ 25 yds would fill me with delight! 

And the Long CBs are even worse than the Shorts, when you’d expect moving the bullet closer to the rifling would enhance performance.  Suspect, however, that with so little powder, the longer case of a Long CB leads to more erratic pressures compared to the Short case.  Worst of all are the Aguila Colibri brand, with even less powder (or maybe none!), which I presume are intended for parlor rifles. 

Maybe the Short CBs would perform better in a Short chamber with a Short twist, but I don’t have one to find out.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 886
June 15, 2019 - 10:13 pm

clarence said

Erin Grivicich said
I’ve tried CB’s in quite a few different applications and accuracy has always been dismal. Just my experience…..

Worst of all are the Aguila Colibri brand, with even less powder (or maybe none!), which I presume are intended for parlor rifles. 

Clarence,

I’ve got some of those, If you read the labeling on the carton, NOT for use in rifles. With no powder they are prone to lodging in the barrel of a rifle. I’ve used most of mine training dogs. Starting them as young pups with a little background noise at feeding time. Works well out of a single six as a noise maker!

Erin

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6368
June 15, 2019 - 11:51 pm

Erin Grivicich said

Clarence,

I’ve got some of those, If you read the labeling on the carton, NOT for use in rifles. With no powder they are prone to lodging in the barrel of a rifle. I’ve used most of mine training dogs. Starting them as young pups with a little background noise at feeding time. Works well out of a single six as a noise maker!

Erin  

Jeez, I didn’t know that!!!  Dealer sure didn’t say anything about it, & damned if I can find that warning on the box!  Ought to be printed in LARGE LETTERS on the front of the box! 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2344
June 16, 2019 - 7:47 pm

I shot the old BB caps single loaded through my M1890 for many years in my back yard killing birds to feed to my cats. It is a 22 LONG.

Never got one stuck. They worked great and were fairly accurate. I don’t think they had any powder in them. Just a small round lead ball. Big Larry

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: [email protected], freebird1968
Guest(s) 149
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250