Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Original pre-64 Model 1894
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 9
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 25, 2022 - 8:19 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Bert H. said
Pictures of subject rifle…  positively a cut down barrel, and a modified butt stock & butt plate.

94.1.JPGImage Enlarger94.2.JPGImage Enlarger94.3.JPGImage Enlarger94.4.JPGImage Enlarger94.5.JPGImage Enlarger94.6.JPGImage Enlarger94.8.JPGImage Enlarger

Bert,

Thank you for posting the pics, and…oh…a modified butt plate and stock?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
November 25, 2022 - 8:28 pm

timberwolf said

clarence said

timberwolf said

He cautioned me regarding the use of modern ammunition, given the lighter impact by the firing pin strike required for primer ignition.

I would distrust the judgement of any “expert” who uttered such an arrant piece of nonsense.  He knows nothing about the subject.

Bert’s email add is listed.

He is an armourer that has, after several tours serving as an armourer for the US Military in Afghanistan, returned upon the abandonment of our Afghanistan involvement. He may not be an “expert” as you put it wrt Winchesters, but he was very familiar with the floating firing pin, and as a legitimate armourer, I value his counsel, but…welcome input from Winchester “experts”.

So…in your judgement, should there be no concern wrt accidental/unintended discharges regarding the use of modern ammunition in this rifle?

Correct, there is no concern or danger of accidental/unintended discharges with respect to the use of modern 30-30 ammunition.  Your armorer needs to better educate himself with respect to the older style firearms and how to properly use them.  Specifically, if you carry a Model 1894 with a live round in the chamber, the hammer should always be in the half (safety) cock position, and only be place at the full cock position when you are ready to fire it.  The other option is to leave the chamber empty until you are ready to fire it.  When hunting (in the field), I personally leave the hammer in the half (safety) cock position.  If I am at the range, the chamber stays empty until I am ready to fire the rifle.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
November 25, 2022 - 8:29 pm

I had a strong feeling he could be saved the cost of a letter.  And, he got his original question answered Smile

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
November 25, 2022 - 8:34 pm

timberwolf said

Bert H. said

Pictures of subject rifle…  positively a cut down barrel, and a modified butt stock & butt plate.

94.1.JPGImage Enlarger94.2.JPGImage Enlarger94.3.JPGImage Enlarger94.4.JPGImage Enlarger94.5.JPGImage Enlarger94.6.JPGImage Enlarger94.8.JPGImage Enlarger

Bert,

Thank you for posting the pics, and…oh…a modified butt plate and stock?

Yes, a modified butt plate & stock.  See the attached picture below as an example of an original Model 1894 rifle butt stock & plate.

Butt-stock-BP.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 9
November 25, 2022 - 8:37 pm

Bert H. said

timberwolf said

clarence said

timberwolf said

He cautioned me regarding the use of modern ammunition, given the lighter impact by the firing pin strike required for primer ignition.

I would distrust the judgement of any “expert” who uttered such an arrant piece of nonsense.  He knows nothing about the subject.

Bert’s email add is listed.

He is an armourer that has, after several tours serving as an armourer for the US Military in Afghanistan, returned upon the abandonment of our Afghanistan involvement. He may not be an “expert” as you put it wrt Winchesters, but he was very familiar with the floating firing pin, and as a legitimate armourer, I value his counsel, but…welcome input from Winchester “experts”.

So…in your judgement, should there be no concern wrt accidental/unintended discharges regarding the use of modern ammunition in this rifle?

Correct, there is no concern or danger of accidental/unintended discharges with respect to the use of modern 30-30 ammunition.  Your armorer needs to better educate himself with respect to the older style firearms and how to properly use them.  Specifically, if you carry a Model 1894 with a live round in the chamber, the hammer should always be in the half (safety) cock position, and only be place at the full cock position when you are ready to fire it.  The other option is to leave the chamber empty until you are ready to fire it.  When hunting (in the field), I personally leave the hammer in the half (safety) cock position.  If I am at the range, the chamber stays empty until I am ready to fire the rifle.

Bert

Thanks! I had pretty much supposed that the rifle with a live round in the chamber should be carried in the 1/2 cock condition, and appreciate your confirmation of that.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 584
November 26, 2022 - 10:40 pm

Of course I’m just reiterating the obvious, but where is the magazine hanger? I will say I’ll tip my hat to the black smith that reforged and refit the butt plate. That took a bit of work to modify a crescent bp the resemble a a carbine bp. Classic case of old time adaptation , This is what I’ve got, this is what I need.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6364
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4597
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2341
twobit: 2295