Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Non Original Model 1892
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2304
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
December 25, 2017 - 12:53 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Just a quick note before opening presents.  This rifle was originally built as a 38 WCF OB.  The barrel address is not correct.  http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/winchester-rifles-model-1892/winchester-1892-pre-64-lever-action-44-w-c-f-quot-absolutely-gorgeous-rifle-quot-outstanding-.cfm?gun_id=100960869

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 889
December 25, 2017 - 3:03 pm

There are lots of red flags on that one. I would venture to state it has also been reblued. I believe the buttplate is off of an 1890. Even tho the butt plates are the same they are not. The 1890’s seem to be about 1/16″ longer on the toe. The pic of the butt plate reveals the toe extending beyond the wood. The wood condition does not come close to matching the metal condition. The barrel address seems to be canted also, kind of tipping downhill on one side. This is just what I observed at a glance…….

Erin

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1914
December 25, 2017 - 5:02 pm

The wood looks refinished to me.  Undersized at the tang, a porous (sanded) looking wood grain, and many bumps and bruises that are glossed over.  I’d be willing to bet the case colors have been re-cased as well.

Don

New Mexico
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1167
December 26, 2017 - 4:00 pm

Gotta agree with the observations here.  I’d go a step further than Erin and say the barrel is a modern made reproduction.  Would be interesting to see what marking are on the underside of this barrel.  Lettering on tang looks correct but compare it to the barrel.  There are machine marks on the tang screw and the rest of the screws are in such impeccable condition that one must suspect they’ve all been replaced.  The wood has been poorly refinished and the receiver professionally redone.  There’s a 1901 elevator on an 1895 gun.  The forend cap doesn’t fit properly on the right side. 

On the other hand, the lever looks right.

1876-4-1.jpg

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend." 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2304
January 4, 2018 - 8:24 pm

Wincacher said
Gotta agree with the observations here.  I’d go a step further than Erin and say the barrel is a modern made reproduction.  Would be interesting to see what marking are on the underside of this barrel.  Lettering on tang looks correct but compare it to the barrel.  There are machine marks on the tang screw and the rest of the screws are in such impeccable condition that one must suspect they’ve all been replaced.  The wood has been poorly refinished and the receiver professionally redone.  There’s a 1901 elevator on an 1895 gun.  The forend cap doesn’t fit properly on the right side. 

On the other hand, the lever looks right.  

I totally agree with the barrel observation and can pretty much guaranty it is a reproduction… and done wrong.

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6387
TXGunNut: 5055
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323