Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
NIB S/N 132XXXX Model 94 standard carbine
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 21
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 24, 2018 - 1:05 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi, another 1st time poster here wanting to post info on my new gun for comments. 

I just aquired an M94 standard carbine S/N 132XXXX (1942 based on post I saw on this site) “new in box with original packing cosmoline”.  A Morphy Auction buy.  I cleaned most of the cosmoline off the gun a few days ago and have had a little time to examine it and do some research.  Also, the cosmoline was a little stiff but cleaned pretty up easily with baby oil.

Per some book info and online research, it appears to have the correct markings, butt plate, rear sight, etc.  To me it appears not to have been used much or at all.  The action works well and looks new inside. The rifling looks new.  The S/N and other markings look perfect (to me) with no found signs of wear.  There are no significant flaws.  

However, while the gun seems to be in like new condition, I suspect that the receiver probably has been partially reblued.  I am no expert on the subject at all.  

The suscpicious observations are:

1) most of the receiver screws have machining marks on heads as if they were blued with receiver (doubt that is normal).

2) the blueing looks very good in normal light, but with a bright flashlight shined at an angle, there is a uniform rust colored petina that is visible on most of the receiver surface depending on the angle each surface is viewed from.  The receiver does appear to have uniform machining marks that I would expect from the factory but I really don’t know what it should look like.  The barrel appears to have what I would think are the original machining marks and is very nice, but it also appears brownish under bright light.  The magazine does not have this brownish color in light.

3) the stock has no dings and finish looks ok, but the butt stock is flush with receiver (as apposed to proud as I have read)

4) buttplate is very good but the serrations are not clean looking (I don’t know what they should look like).

On a table outdoors in the bright sunlight, the gun looks like it were made yesterday, with the only question being those screws(which dont look bad). 

So, to finish, I bought this gun sight unseen, to be a shooter and not knowing what to expect.  I paid about the same price as a new Miroku Winchester so I am happy with it.  When I cleaned it up, my first impression was that it was indead perfect and that I should keep it that way.  Now I think it is probably a shooter again.

Any comments, opinions or recommendations?  Sorry for the long post.

PS…I also have a Sears model 100 1973/4 since new (great shooter with peep sight) and a recently aquired M64 S/N 137XXXX.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
March 24, 2018 - 11:12 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

First, always post complete serial numbers here on the WACA forums. There is no rational reason not to do so.

In regards to your Model 94, Winchester never packed commercial sales sporting firearms in cosmoline. Instead, they were lightly oiled before packaging.

Based on your description of the bluing on the receiver and barrel, it appears to be original to me. Pictures of your Model 94 would help to evaluate it.

I can help you with both the Model 94 and Model 64, but need to see clear (quality) pictures of both.

Bert – [email protected]

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
March 24, 2018 - 11:58 pm

Your gun is very likely correct. I have had some minty, right as rain Winchesters, which the bluing looks to have a brownish  mtingse under my LED lights in th gun room, but when you get them in true natural light, they look the way is minty Winchester should. Different types of might can play tricks on you. Natural light is your best judge, as well as your good hands on observations.

Echoing Bert, if you could post the full serial, that would help out his survey. There is a lot of great survey work being done on several of the different models on here’s, we are learning more and more new info on these old guns all the time, thanks to the fellows that have devoted themselves to these endeavours.

Matt

WACA Guest
March 25, 2018 - 2:11 am

Thank you Bert and Matt!

I will attempt to link to photos from facebook page which I pretty much do not use anymore.  The photos were taken today and are not the best.  I will add better photos tomorrow.  Thank you again. 

barrel markingsImage Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Image Enlarger

Also, after comparing the new carbine with the model 64 I purchased from gunbroker earlier this year, I am seeing the signs of the 64 having a fairly poor reblue, at least from the standpoint of the direction of the “grain” of the polishing or sanding marks.  It was advertised as “looked like a factory reblue” and I think I had too much faith in the seller’s ethics. 

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
March 25, 2018 - 3:30 am

It looks like a factory original late pre-war Carbine to me., and in near new condition.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Guest
March 25, 2018 - 2:19 pm

Thank you Bert.  Thats what it appeared to me but it seemed to good to be true.  I’ll keep it as a collector no shooting.  I have two others for shooting/hunting.  Now the stress over preserving it.  Wish I knew the history of the gun.  To have a rifle bought and never used, kind of a sad story to me.

Aylmer, Quebec, Canada
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 337
March 26, 2018 - 2:12 pm

Yup, as Bert said above. Don’t see any issues there. Hard to find one better!

Matt

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Maverick, tionesta1, Greg Hall, Peter Brigham
Guest(s) 149
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4571
1873man: 4281