Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Please confirm you want to mark all posts read

Mark all topics read

sp_MobileMenu Actions

New/Updated Topics

Select Forum

sp_TopicIcon
Need Guidance on my 1st model year 1894 Cartridge Guides
May 29, 2021 - 8:52 pm

1sp_QuotePost

I recently acquired a 1st model year 1894 (#8203). Trying to figure out the back story of the two screw holes on the right side of the receiver in the 4th picture. Left side of the receiver looks correct – 3rd picture.

The left hole has a black allen head screw holding the right cartridge guide in place – 5th picture. The right hole must be a pin that was face off. Examining the right cartridge guide from the inside, this pin holds the guide and I assume the allen head screw does also.

I am stump why the two holes. Also I want to replaces that allen screw with an period correct screw.

Any guidance on the mystery behind the two holes would be very appreciated. What are the best places to find 1894 parts?

Thanks, Tony 

1st-model-1894-receiver-right.jpgImage Enlarger1894-winchester-rifle-1st-first-model-Left-side.jpgImage Enlarger Left-side-on-1894-serial-8203.jpgImage EnlargerRight-side-on-1894-serial-8203.jpgImage EnlargerAllen-Head-Screw-1.jpgImage Enlarger

Northwestern Ontario
May 29, 2021 - 11:59 pm

2sp_QuotePost

Tony, It is unfortunate that the receive of your first model 1894 has that added hole above the loading gate. I think  that someone installed a later cartridge guide to replace the original one that was held in place by the outside screw which now has been replaced with the Allen screw.  Does the left side cartridge guide have the slot with the flat spring as found on the early 1894’s ? 

May 30, 2021 - 12:15 am

3sp_QuotePost

Hi Dave, yes it does. The 3rd picture of the left side of the receiver is in my original text.

That was my assumption also. It looks like the original right cartridge guide was replaced how many years back. They drill a hole and push a pin in. Then they install a hex bolt in the hole. I will check to see if the Hex bolt is stabilize the right cartridge guide or it was installed to keep dirt out.

Either way I need to find a period correct Winchester screw to replace the Hex bolt. Other than that the 1894 is in very good shape. I knew the extra hole was an user modification going into the purchase. I got the gun at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for the help.

Northwestern Ontario
May 30, 2021 - 4:21 am

4sp_QuotePost

Tony, I have a first model 1894 also that in a time before I bought the gun in 1963 a previous owner filed away some of the rear portion of the guides to fix the some unknown problem and now the cartridge flips out when the carrier rises. My solution is to drill and tap holes in guides from a newer model since finding the correct first model guides will be very unlikely and that way the gun will at least appear original and will function properly.  The screw on the other guide should be exactly the same as the one you need and so you have that to measure for dimensions and thread size so it should be fairly easy to find a suitable match to replace the one missing. Good luck. 

May 30, 2021 - 8:02 pm

5sp_QuotePost

Dave, Yes I agree. I am now in search of period correct screws. Thanks for the help and support. Tony

Northwestern Ontario
May 30, 2021 - 9:08 pm

6sp_QuotePost

Tony Wedeward said
Dave, Yes I agree. I am now in search of period correct screws. Thanks for the help and support. Tony  

Tony, It is possible that the guide has been drilled and tapped for a different thread size that th efactory one so it would be a good idea to remove the Allen screw and use the guide srew from the other guide to ensure the size you need is the correct one that fits the guide whether original or altered.

Kingston, WA
June 4, 2021 - 2:30 pm

7sp_QuotePost

Hello Tony,

Your Model 1894 is now the highest confirmed S/N for a First variation.  Can you please  provide me with the details (or pictures) of this rifle for my research survey?

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

Forum Timezone:
UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, cranky2, Louis Luttrell, MNwin
Guest(s) 23
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Devices in use: Desktop (20), Phone (7)

Forum Stats: