Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model of 1866 Striker Information Wanted
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
North Carolina
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 138
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
April 5, 2021 - 2:49 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Got this crazy idea to look up striker pattern information on the Model 66′ and Henry Model 60. I was a bit surprised that what books I have as well as google doesn’t show much information.

I have been looking at the striker imprints on many Henry cartridges and many look different. Of those that look different, they seem to boil down to two main differences…

e4920ddebd520e2610aff873363e6d8fbb4d3614-1.pngImage Enlarger

Long/skinny and short/wide.

I was wondering…

1. Did the 44 Henry ever have just one striker? 
  2. If not, were the “dual” strikers of the same design for both the Henry and the 66’?
  3. Is it possible to say that the 66’ had longer/narrow strikers while the Henry had shorter/wider pins?

Dj’s Winchester 66 Strikers (right)

66-v-73-assmbl-1.jpgImage Enlarger

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=60404.0

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
April 5, 2021 - 5:38 pm

I’ve had my Henry apart several times lately but my original firing pin had the threaded end broken off and the striker was gone.  The fact that the extractor pin was broken in half someone tried to unthread the striker before removing the pin.  So I can only look at my 66 for original parts.  It appears to have the “pins” beveled on each end so it makes the shorter strikes.  The new one for the Henry is only beveled on one side so it should make a longer strike.  Others need to look at their guns for comparison.

I doubt that a single striker rim fire was ever made.  I don’t know exactly how the center fire striker was made but it wouldn’t be hard to do.  Since Winchester Bob sells the firing pin and striker someone could experiment on new parts.  I learned that the firing pin for a Henry is slightly longer than for the 66. 

That is an interesting group of pictures.  There are 2 H cartridges I don’t have.  I only have 3 styles of H stamped brass.  You need an early dished with raised H and a U for the collection.  Earliest had no head stamp then the dished.  Later the dished area had a distinct impression like the one on the very top right.  The 66 cartridges, flat, had no impressed circle.  Just the H.

North Carolina
WACA Guest
April 5, 2021 - 6:27 pm

Chuck said
It appears to have the “pins” beveled on each end so it makes the shorter strikes.  The new one for the Henry is only beveled on one side so it should make a longer strike.

I doubt that a single striker rim fire was ever made.  I don’t know exactly how the center fire striker was made but it wouldn’t be hard to do.  Since Winchester Bob sells the firing pin and striker someone could experiment on new parts.  I learned that the firing pin for a Henry is slightly longer than for the 66. 

That is an interesting group of pictures.  There are 2 H cartridges I don’t have.  I only have 3 styles of H stamped brass.  You need an early dished with raised H and a U for the collection.  Earliest had no head stamp then the dished.  Later the dished area had a distinct impression like the one on the very top right.  The 66 cartridges, flat, had no impressed circle.  Just the H.  

Thank you for the information.

Very interesting on the one sided feature. I did see one mis-fire where the strikers looked different on each side. I think that photo is in row two column one or photo #6 from left to right, top to bottom.

I figured as much about the single striker but had to ask. I am sure all of this information is out there, just cant seem to find it.

Feel free to number the photos as they should be to be in order from oldest to newest. I edited the photo with numbers

WACA Member
April 5, 2021 - 7:28 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I don’t have any that look like #3, #13 or #7.  #9 and #12 could be the earliest type especially if they have a pointed bullet.  The next ones have the gradual sided dished area with the raised H and a pointed bullet.  Next was #5.  Later were like #14.  Last one is a 66 CF.

Henry-Cartridges.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1722
April 5, 2021 - 7:52 pm

Bryan, The 66 strikers had two points, one on each side of the firing pin. The striker was threaded on the firing pin and allowed to move back and forth in the breech block maybe .060″. The condition of the points, the hardness of the cartridge, hammer spring strength, and the amount of travel would determine the imprint into the head of the cartridge.  I have seen corrosion and damage in this area which changes the imprint as the gun would age.

I have not seen enough Henrys to know if the striker is different than a 66. It is of the same type but as for the imprint you would have to compare original new strikers from each model. This is a black powder area so old parts change. T/R

North Carolina
WACA Guest
April 5, 2021 - 8:50 pm

TR said
 Bryan, The 66 strikers had two points, one on each side of the firing pin. The striker was threaded on the firing pin and allowed to move back and forth in the breech block maybe .060″. The condition of the points, the hardness of the cartridge, hammer spring strength, and the amount of travel would determine the imprint into the head of the cartridge.  I have seen corrosion and damage in this area which changes the imprint as the gun would age.

I have not seen enough Henrys to know if the striker is different than a 66. It is of the same type but as for the imprint you would have to compare original new strikers from each model. This is a black powder area so old parts change. T/R  

Chuck said
I don’t have any that look like #3, #13 or #7.  #9 and #12 could be the earliest type especially if they have a pointed bullet.  The next ones have the gradual sided dished area with the raised H and a pointed bullet.  Next was #5.  Later were like #14.  Last one is a 66 CF.

Henry-Cartridges.jpgImage Enlarger  

I have them something like this for now. 
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jy0pGqWPRx2HOQqufbcnEM1lv6tCWBJsCOB8vLIDOIg/edit#gid=1599374672

TR, thanks…I kind of figured it wouldn’t be easy, story of my life! 

North Carolina
WACA Guest
April 6, 2021 - 12:49 am

I just ran across this Henry featured on youtube. sn# 7,xxx. The strikers appear to be the short ones

Henry-SN7191.pngImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
April 6, 2021 - 2:05 am

Your picture of the 66 striker shows that the corners are beveled where it hits the rim.  The Henry might just have 1 corner beveled per side so it is longer?  Someone with a Henry needs to check theirs out.

I really never collected individual rounds because of the price. I have a full New Haven Arms box.  Most of the loose ones I have are from one of the 100 round boxes.  Lately I have bought some rounds for testing that were cheap. I don’t feel bad about tearing apart a round especially if it has been struck a few times already.  You should buy Giles’ and Shuey’s Winchester Box book.

North Carolina
WACA Guest
April 6, 2021 - 3:23 am

Chuck said
 You should buy Giles’ and Shuey’s Winchester Box book.  

I have three of their books. I was reading up on the winchester boxes again today. The boxes are easy to follow but the cartridges are not as easy. I will need to copy the information on paper tomorrow and try to sort it all out.

I thought the 44-40 stuff was hard. This will be nearly impossible! 

WACA Member
April 7, 2021 - 2:45 am

I have, as far as I know, all 3 of the Henry books and none of them show pictures.  Your #5 is found in the New Haven Arms boxes with the scrolls on the borders.  I don’t think these were ever produced in the Winchester boxes.  I am really curious about #7.  I assume you have measure these and they are all 44 RF.  Outside case diameter is greater than .44″.  Do you have R. Bruce McDowell’s book, Development of the Henry Cartridge?  Here is a copy of two of the pages.

North Carolina
WACA Guest
April 7, 2021 - 10:55 am

Thank you for the insight to the Henry books.
Unfortunately none of those photos I included are mine but they are all reported to be 44 RF. 

I may have to purchase a copy of McDowell’s book…looks like a great resource to go along with my 44-40 stuff.

WACA Member
April 7, 2021 - 4:55 pm

Bryan Austin said
Thank you for the insight to the Henry books.
Unfortunately none of those photos I included are mine but they are all reported to be 44 RF. 
I may have to purchase a copy of McDowell’s book…looks like a great resource to go along with my 44-40 stuff.  

Bruce’s book is not that good.  Most of it is on the development before the Henry.  I posted one of the better details of the book.  The best Henry book is the one by Les Quick.  It does not show any really good pictures of the ammo though.  Wiley Sword’s book is pretty good and has a lot of info on the martial Henrys.  Again, no ammo pictures.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6367
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2343
twobit: 2295