Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 88 .308 Questions
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 30, 2021 - 12:15 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Seeking information and advice on a Model 88 .308 that I purchased this week. Research I have done up to now online only left me with more questions. 
1. SN: 182699A appears to be a post 64 model. 1966 is what I found. However, stock is checkered rather than pressed, which seems to be a pre 64 type stock. I wouldn’t think a replacement stock would be older than the firearm itself, so I’m confused. 
2. Stock has been refinished and not very professionally. Needs recheckering and finishing. Need help making a decision as to whether or not I make the investment of a professional stock job. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 509
January 30, 2021 - 3:43 am

No reason why a replacement stock can’t be older than the gun itself.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
January 30, 2021 - 6:15 pm

It’s doubtful the rifle has significant collector value at this point so the only important question is what YOU want. If you want a nice stock then by all means have someone build or refinish it. There’s little chance you’ll be able to recover the related cost when and if you decide to sell so spend accordingly. Knowing Winchester’s habit of using what they have on hand I wouldn’t rule out the stock being original but that’s a moot point in this case.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
January 31, 2021 - 5:05 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I believe the impressed checkering was introduced in 1968. The Model 88, a creature of the mid fifties contrasted to the Model 70 with its prewar vintage, had little ‘catching up’ to do to in a nineteen sixties world. The year of 1964 onward to ’68 was pretty much production as usual.  Along with the ‘less than impressive’ impressed checkering, the Model 88 Carbine was also introduced IN 1968.  It: R302-6U.jpgImage EnlargerWith plain stock and barrel band!  

Your Model 88 sounds about normal in context of manner it would have departed the factory. 

Just my take. 

Best & Stay Safe!

John 

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10840
January 31, 2021 - 5:15 am

To the very best of my knowledge, Winchester introduced the impressed checkering in 1964 on all models in production at that time.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
January 31, 2021 - 4:19 pm

Hi Bert & Thanks!  I’m by now working against a ‘wrap’ of erroneous info! Too much using gun blogs as sanity breaks, pushing multitasking…  Anyway, that’s my excuse and sticking to it!  🙂 Here, “the facts”, contra to my ‘winging it’ last night!  In short… You’re correct. 

For anyone who may have Website annotated/downloaded the Winchester annual catalog collection of my prior Thread:   Model 88 reference in 1965 Catalog page 10*, depiction & narrative concerning the new basket weave checkering.

Thanks for the kind, tactful correction.  

Best & Stay Safe! 

John

* (File extension error precluding uploading such single page as “document attachment” here.)

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 141
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6368
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250