Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1894 , mfg 1911,
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 28, 2021 - 6:18 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Inherited a model 1894..

Mfg in 1911, half mag, 38-55 caliber

Problem is my uncle “refinished” the wood about 20 years ago and did an awful job..I am going to redo it..

Should I go ahead and reblue the steel, since he ruined the value of the gun..

It was my Great Grandfather’s, so it won’t be sold anyway..

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10848
January 28, 2021 - 6:25 pm

Steve,

We can’t answer that question without the benefit of seeing the gun (or clear pictures of it). 

What is the serial number?  Is it a Sporting Rifle, Carbine, or a different variation ?

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
January 28, 2021 - 8:58 pm

[email protected] said
Inherited a model 1894..

Mfg in 1911, half mag, 38-55 caliber

Problem is my uncle “refinished” the wood about 20 years ago and did an awful job..I am going to redo it..

Should I go ahead and reblue the steel, since he ruined the value of the gun..

It was my Great Grandfather’s, so it won’t be sold anyway..  

Like Bert said, we need pictures.  Usually it is a waste of money to re blue a gun.  There is a chance that the wood finish could be fixed.  It is my opinion not to redo guns especially family guns. In your case maybe the wood??

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 400
January 29, 2021 - 12:20 am

A gun with original metal and refinished wood is only half spoiled.  For me, it’s always better to not refinish.  Original metal is a good thing.  

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
January 29, 2021 - 7:10 pm

sb said
A gun with original metal and refinished wood is only half spoiled.  For me, it’s always better to not refinish.  Original metal is a good thing.    

Scooter you are assuming an amateur did the work..  I agree, I would never want to refinish a gun but someone that knows what they are doing can remove the finish and put the correct finish on it without sanding much or not at all.  Dings and dents might have to be left but the rest of the stock will look better.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 329
January 30, 2021 - 4:18 am

Chuck said

Scooter you are assuming an amateur did the work..  I agree, I would never want to refinish a gun but someone that knows what they are doing can remove the finish and put the correct finish on it without sanding much or not at all.  Dings and dents might have to be left but the rest of the stock will look better.  

I have 2 94’s that I re-did. They would have only been good for parts otherwise. Both had complete junk wood and missing some parts, but good bores and smooth metal. They both turned out great. a 20″ rifle in .25-35, and a SRC in .30WCF. I actually carry the .25-35 out hunting occasionally here in Alaska. Some folks might turn up their nose, but I find lots of people that really like the looks of them both.

Shoot low boys. They're riding Shetland Ponies.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5051
January 30, 2021 - 5:43 pm

Chuck said

I agree. I know of a guy that refinishes hard-used or damaged trap and skeet guns and I can’t tell they’ve been refinished. It’s often easy to tell when a gun has been refinished but I’d be very hesitant to say a gun has never been refinished after seeing his work. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6382
TXGunNut: 5051
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346