Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Model 1892 .218 Bee Help
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 29, 2022 - 5:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Hi All,

I’m looking at buying my first Winchester lever rifle but I am very inexperienced with them. Right now, I’m considering buying what’s being called a “1915 Model 1892 .218 Bee w/ a tang peep”. I only have one (not very good) picture of it at the moment posted below. I am aiming to meetup soon to actually check out the gun/condition as well as snap more detailed pictures. Could anyone let me know what I am dealing with here? Anything to look out for, besides the things mentioned in the Tips sticky topic? I don’t even know where to begin or what the value is roughly.

Thanks!

Image Enlarger

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
September 29, 2022 - 9:13 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Jacob,

What you are dealing with is something I refer to as a “Frankenchester”… a Winchester resurrected from the parts of other (non-original) guns.  They have no real value in the collector market, and may or may not be decent shooters.  If you are looking for a shooter grade rifle in 218 Bee, and can get that rifle for something < $800, then go for it. If you are looking for a “collectable” Winchester, my advice is to stop looking at that rifle.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4250
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
September 29, 2022 - 10:47 pm

It will be interesting to see what the barrel markings are.  My guess is the barrel will be marked Model 65.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
September 29, 2022 - 11:08 pm

Aren’t there some legit model 92’s that are in fact in 218 bee?  I may be wrong, but doesn’t one of the members on here have one?

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10835
September 30, 2022 - 1:16 am

Manuel said
Aren’t there some legit model 92’s that are in fact in 218 bee?  I may be wrong, but doesn’t one of the members on here have one?

There are a very small number of them, but they are all Model “92”s in the 900,000+ serial number range.  The rifle in question is a 1915 production Model 1892.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6365
September 30, 2022 - 1:18 am

Bert H. said
Jacob,

What you are dealing with is something I refer to as a “Frankenchester”… a Winchester resurrected from the parts of other (non-original) guns.  They have no real value in the collector market, and may or may not be decent shooters.  If you are looking for a shooter grade rifle in 218 Bee, and can get that rifle for something < $800, then go for it.

Bert

Guess I haven’t kept up with the “Frankenchester” market; maybe about $600 was what I was thinking; that’s if you can conceive of a useful purpose for a Bee, which I never could in a lever gun; a Model 43 with a scope…then you’ve got something.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2295
September 30, 2022 - 12:36 pm

Jacob Butler said
Hi All,

I’m looking at buying my first Winchester lever rifle but I am very inexperienced with them. Right now, I’m considering buying what’s being called a “1915 Model 1892 .218 Bee w/ a tang peep”. I only have one (not very good) picture of it at the moment posted below. I am aiming to meetup soon to actually check out the gun/condition as well as snap more detailed pictures. Could anyone let me know what I am dealing with here? Anything to look out for, besides the things mentioned in the Tips sticky topic? I don’t even know where to begin or what the value is roughly.

Thanks!

Image Enlarger

Good morning Jacob,

You are very smart to ask your questions first before pulling out your wallet.  I can’t tell you how many question I/we get from guys who do things backwards when it is too late.  I collect Model 1892 rifles and also do research on them having looked at more than 17,000 individual examples.  Feel free to run any gun past me first and I am glad to help.  [email protected]

Michael

Signature-Pic.jpg

Model 1892 / Model 61 Collector, Research, Valuation

Wyoming - Gods Country
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1271
September 30, 2022 - 4:14 pm

clarence said 

Guess I haven’t kept up with the “Frankenchester” market; maybe about $600 was what I was thinking; that’s if you can conceive of a useful purpose for a Bee, which I never could in a lever gun; a Model 43 with a scope…then you’ve got something.

Like this one ….. and yes, it’s got extra holes in the barrel, but it was my father’s so I could care less. Also love the early exposed knob K6 on it which aligns nicely with this 1951 rifle.

DSCN0041.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments

~Gary~

94-SRR.jpg

NY
WACA Member
September 30, 2022 - 5:09 pm

pdog72 said
Like this one ….. and yes, it’s got extra holes in the barrel, but it was my father’s so I could care less. Also love the early exposed knob K6 on it which aligns nicely with this 1951 rifle.

When the factory is too niggardly to thrown into the price of the gun the minor expense of providing scope mounting attachments, the customer must do what he has to do to make the gun serviceable.  (Though yours doesn’t look like it’s seen much service.)

The K-series was always my favorite internally adjustable scope, though I never had one that early.  Since I was using them on .22s, I sent a K-4 & K-6 back to the factory to have the parallax re-adjusted for 50 yds–no charge!

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4598
September 30, 2022 - 5:26 pm

Maybe better picture.20220928-193110.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 521
September 30, 2022 - 7:28 pm

218b-100yds.jpgImage Enlarger  Here is what my model 43 in 218b does at 100yds.  As you can see the two “flyers” are almost the exact distance away from the bullseye.  That would be the Indian’s fault!

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 803
October 1, 2022 - 3:14 am

It’s hard to scope a 92 that ejects upward, unless you side mount the scope.   That detracts from the sleek, clean lines of the Model 92.  There are no records regarding production of the Model 92 in 218 Bee and lots of skepticism when one is encountered.

This 218 Bee Model 92 sold for around $22,000.00.

218-Bee.jpgImage Enlarger218-92.jpgImage Enlarger

I bought this one for about half of that price:

218-92-1.jpgImage Enlarger  It came with a checked carbine stock, but everything else seems to be correct.  Who knows what was possible during parts clean-up.  I have since changed the stock to what I picture as correct.  Shame on me for vandalizing a Winchester!  EmbarassedBut after all it’s my rifle and I have the original carbine stock!  RDB

Santa Clara, CA
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 803
October 1, 2022 - 3:45 am

For the curious, this is how the rifle appears now and I do have the “original carbine stock”.  I have no proof positive that this Model 92 is correct.  Serial no. 999935.  1950 Barrel Date.  RDB

92-B-001.JPGImage Enlarger92-B-004.JPGImage Enlarger92-B-005.JPGImage Enlarger

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5034
October 2, 2022 - 4:07 pm

Looks good, Roger. Certainly an improvement given the circumstances.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 74
October 6, 2022 - 1:29 am

you’ll need  to reload  your own ammo for 218 B  these days and i don’t know  of   flat nosed  bullets  for a tuular  magazine  bee hard  to find. the rubber nosed kind might work  i’d pass and find something in  original caliber. 

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 74
October 6, 2022 - 2:06 am

I like    .22 hornets, having   good  results  with a Ruger  1V ,   but  .finding .22 Hornet ammo  is  getting  tough. US made  Remington Winchester  is  no longer produced ,  ll  the factory ammo  new is European made.  There  very pricey boxes  of Hornet on GunBroker , 2.00 dollars and up a round.  Hornet brass is  no better at  70 cents to over 1.00 a hull.. buying  the Euro stuff is  worth  50 a box   just for  the brass. 218 Bee is nearly impossible  to find at shows, even brass, if  you already hve  the componants, great,  but  finding hem  gets  real tough at  reasonable  prices  especially  or us older folks  that  remembe   15  to 18 dollars a box   for Hornet  not  that long ago.. when  yo buy  these  to shoot, you really  have to look at  the availability of  the cartridges.

NY
WACA Member
October 6, 2022 - 2:35 am

Ralph Fitzwater said
     I like    .22 hornets, having   good  results  with a Ruger  1V ,   but  .finding .22 Hornet ammo  is  getting  tough. US made  Remington Winchester  is  no longer produced ,  ll  the factory ammo  new is European made.

Ralph,  No US made Hornet–one of the most famous cartridges of modern times?  Good Lord, is this REALLY true?  If so I’m as shocked as I was when I just recently found out (Rifleman, I think) that there’s no US maker of lead shot, thanks to EPA restrictions–now, it’s all imported, which accounts for the current prohibitive prices.  WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS COUNTRY??? 

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: steve004, 33wcf, 426crown, clarence, Keydet15, Dave M., Jeremy P
Guest(s) 180
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6365
TXGunNut: 5034
Chuck: 4598
1873man: 4322
steve004: 4250
Big Larry: 2342
twobit: 2295
mrcvs: 1726