Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 27, 2022 - 10:30 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Attached are some photos of an 86 which I have had over 30 years – I don’t think I have ever shared any photos of this gun on the Forum. In addition to being a case hardened deluxe it has the coveted matted barrel. John Madl research indicates there were only 206 matted barrel 86’s produced (all calibers) so it is a pretty rare gun. I have a copy of the ledger page for the gun (serial #109591) and I find it interesting that serial number 109592, next serial number in the sequence, and serial number 109588, 3 guns earlier, are all configured exactly the same. All 3 guns were shipped to the same order number and as you can see on the museum letter for my gun, “with 2 other arms”. The ledger entry for #109592, the gun following mine does not even have any information in the entry, just ditto marks in each column, indicating exactly as the previous gun. All 3 guns went to warehouse the same day, shipped the same day and as noted, went to the same order number. Even more perplexing is that all 3 guns were returned and repaired 2 different times. As we all know, it would be rare to have any indication of what was done on a R&R and the ledger entries on these 3 guns provides no information. 

matt11.JPGImage Enlargermatt10.JPGImage Enlargermatt9.JPGImage Enlargermatt1.JPGImage Enlargermatt2.JPGImage Enlargermatt3.JPGImage Enlarger86ltr.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 42
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 28, 2022 - 1:52 am

Bert,

Let me be the first of I am sure many more members here to congratulate you on being the caretaker of such an amazing firearm. It is truly a thing of beauty. I am more than envious. Thank you for sharing.

Glenn

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1099
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 28, 2022 - 1:29 pm

Burt; that is quite a piece You have there, a very handsome Winchester. What is meant by a Lyman front screwed barrel?

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 561
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
February 28, 2022 - 10:31 pm

Henry Mero said
Burt; that is quite a piece You have there, a very handsome Winchester. What is meant by a Lyman front screwed barrel?  

Henry – The Lyman front sight has been screwed to the barrel – see photo below. I prefer the screw holes on my Winchesters to have been done by the factory! Actually, I have had several early guns, various models, with the front sight being screwed to the barrel – not always noted in the records but probably correct. If you look, with as many guns as you have, you will probably have a couple.

86mattscrew.JPGImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Burt Humphrey, antler1, Tedk, craig r, wclary
Guest(s) 27
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6385
TXGunNut: 5054
Chuck: 4600