Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
MFG DATE OF LIMITED EDITION 1 OF 500 92 RIFLE
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 5
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
November 8, 2019 - 7:52 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

HI GUYS & GALS, I have a LIMITED EDITION 1 OF 500 92 RIFLE in 38W. I cannot find the date of mfg in the serialization location. This has been very helpful and may not list Miroku firearms. When the LTD rifles came out in 1998, I bought them as they came out as I was JUST getting started in C.A.S.. Then I started finding original old Chinresters which were ALL great shooters with decent bores ranging from like NIB to boat anchor. I noted the dates purchased of the LTD series and have 44W, 45C, 45-70 & 44 Mag. I recently found a 38W on Gun Broker and the ser.# does not pull up a date. Is there a location where I can find the mfg date of 1892 number 0030x mx92 f  ??? I like to keep complete records. Any help appreciated. Mark “Dirty Doc” ZacharyFrownFrown

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
November 8, 2019 - 10:42 pm

Mark,

The DOM look-up tables on the WACA website only cover the Pre-1964 production Winchesters. I suggest that you call the 1-800 Service number for Browning Arms.

Bert

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

CANADA
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 127
November 9, 2019 - 2:00 pm

It’s too bad that nobody seem to be tracking and organizing the Miroku’s in a booklet.

I know they’re not “the real thing” but I have a few and really enjoy going after the Shot-Show Specials that they make every year.

It’s interesting to note that no matter how much the purists put them down, they still tend to sell very well.

D.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4969
November 9, 2019 - 3:42 pm

David-

It’s not a matter of being “purist” or snobbish, it’s just that Miroku’s are not what this site was established to discuss. I happen to like Miroku (and other) firearms but I came here to learn about Winchesters and their history.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 31
November 9, 2019 - 7:21 pm

Your best bet is to search the box product code or upc code for date of manufacture.  Just a quick google can get you in the right direction.

The have been many runs over the years but 1997 was when the 86 and 92 rifles picked up in earnest at SHOT.

Davidsons is of course the major player.

To the point of searching this site, I agree this is for pre-64 Winchesters and not trashing any other iteration of the brand.  There is a world of collecting Winchesters after 1964, especially custom shop and off plant builds by HS Precision and such…still great arms but this is not the forum to discuss or research them.

CANADA
WACA Guest
November 10, 2019 - 3:11 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

TXGunNut said
David-

It’s not a matter of being “purist” or snobbish, it’s just that Miroku’s are not what this site was established to discuss. I happen to like Miroku (and other) firearms but I came here to learn about Winchesters and their history.

Mike  

While I do regard Mikes comment, I will state that it was not my intention to offend anyone.

However,

It was my understanding that this site was created for the – Appreciation and Discussion of “All Things Winchester” – and not just our own individual specific interests.

Of course, being a “Newby” to WACA, what possibly could I know…

D.

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10723
November 10, 2019 - 5:44 pm

David McNab said

While I do regard Mikes comment, I will state that it was not my intention to offend anyone.

However,

It was my understanding that this site was created for the – Appreciation and Discussion of “All Things Winchester” – and not just our own individual specific interests.

Of course, being a “Newby” to WACA, what possibly could I know…

D.  

David,

Yes, it was created for “Winchester” – https://winchestercollector.org/about/

That stated, the Miroku Japan manufactured firearms are not truly “Winchester”.  Instead, they are Belgian (FN) owned.  The “Winchester” company ceased manufacturing firearms in late 1980 when they sold the factory in New Haven, CT to the newly formed U.S. Repeating Arms Company (USRACo), and leased them the rights to use the trademarked “Winchester” name for a 25-year period.  The USRACo got into to financial trouble in the early 1990s, and was sold to Fabrique Nationale (FN) in 1992.  FN shut down the original New Haven factory in March 2006, moving production of Model 70 to Columbia, SC in 2008 (same place they were manufacturing the M9 Berretta government contract pistols).  A few years ago, they pulled up stakes in Columbia, SC and moved the Model 70 production overseas (to Portugal I believe).  Prior to buying out the USRACo in 1992, FN also purchased the Browning Arms Company.  After the 25-year lease of the trademarked “Winchester” name (still owned by Olin industries) ended, FN (Browning) contracted with Olin to renew the lease.  Browning Arms created a “Winchester” division, and currently manufactures modern versions of several original Winchester models, many of them at the Miroku Japan factory.  My point in all of this, is that I (and the majority of the WACA members) do not consider anything manufactured after 1980 (with the trademarked “Winchester” name on it) to be a true “Winchester”.  We are not denigrating them, but we do not have much interest in them, nor do we actively collect them.  Accordingly, we also do not spend any time researching them… they simply do not have a place in history (at least at this time).

Bert – WACA Historian

WACA 6571L, Historian & Board of Director Member
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

CANADA
WACA Guest
November 10, 2019 - 6:35 pm

Bert H. said

David,

Yes, it was created for “Winchester” – https://winchestercollector.org/about/

That stated, the Miroku Japan manufactured firearms are not truly “Winchester”.  Instead, they are Belgian (FN) owned.  The “Winchester” company ceased manufacturing firearms in late 1980 when they sold the factory in New Haven, CT to the newly formed U.S. Repeating Arms Company (USRACo), and leased them the rights to use the trademarked “Winchester” name for a 25-year period.  The USRACo got into to financial trouble in the early 1990s, and was sold to Fabrique Nationale (FN) in 1992.  FN shut down the original New Haven factory in March 2006, moving production of Model 70 to Columbia, SC in 2008 (same place they were manufacturing the M9 Berretta government contract pistols).  A few years ago, they pulled up stakes in Columbia, SC and moved the Model 70 production overseas (to Portugal I believe).  Prior to buying out the USRACo in 1992, FN also purchased the Browning Arms Company.  After the 25-year lease of the trademarked “Winchester” name (still owned by Olin industries) ended, FN (Browning) contracted with Olin to renew the lease.  Browning Arms created a “Winchester” division, and currently manufactures modern versions of several original Winchester models, many of them at the Miroku Japan factory.  My point in all of this, is that I (and the majority of the WACA members) do not consider anything manufactured after 1980 (with the trademarked “Winchester” name on it) to be a true “Winchester”.  We are not denigrating them, but we do not have much interest in them, nor do we actively collect them.  Accordingly, we also do not spend any time researching them… they simply do not have a place in history (at least at this time).

Bert – WACA Historian  

Bert,

I agree completely that the Miroku guns are not “truly” Winchesters – from the collector/historians point of view.

But again, as I have dared to mention in previous posts these Miroku’s are interesting guns from a shooters point of view in the current context.

It just so happens that they are stamped Winchester, and marketed and sold as Winchesters.

And, at the very least they are not Chiappa’s, Pedersoli’s or Uberti’s.

Without going political, if our North American Manufacturing Base had not been destroyed in the USA and up here in Canada by off-shoring production for the sake of cheaper imports we would not be making these comments.

Again, apologies all round to those whom I’ve offended.

D.

CANADA
WACA Guest
November 10, 2019 - 6:52 pm

[email protected] said
HI GUYS & GALS, I have a LIMITED EDITION 1 OF 500 92 RIFLE in 38W. I cannot find the date of mfg in the serialization location. This has been very helpful and may not list Miroku firearms. When the LTD rifles came out in 1998, I bought them as they came out as I was JUST getting started in C.A.S.. Then I started finding original old Chinresters which were ALL great shooters with decent bores ranging from like NIB to boat anchor. I noted the dates purchased of the LTD series and have 44W, 45C, 45-70 & 44 Mag. I recently found a 38W on Gun Broker and the ser.# does not pull up a date. Is there a location where I can find the mfg date of 1892 number 0030x mx92 f  ??? I like to keep complete records. Any help appreciated. Mark “Dirty Doc” ZacharyFrownFrown  

It’s my understanding that your Sr# indicates that 0030X is the three hundred and ?th gun in this production run and that MX92F indicates a production year of 2003 and F indicates the 6TH variation of the Miroku 92.

This is extrapolated from the same way you can research Browning (Miroku) Serial#’s – it seems to have been accurate for all my other Miroku’s over the years.

I guess I should have just offered this first – I’ll be quiet now.

D.

Northwestern Ontario
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 298
November 10, 2019 - 7:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Are the “Winchester” firearms manufactured at the former H.W. Cooey Machine and Arms Co. of  Cobourg Ontario, which was sold to the Olin Corp. in 1961 and marked and marketed as “Winchester” prior to 1964 considered as such by the WACA?  The Winchester Model 600 bolt action .22 repeater and the Model 840 single shot shotgun are examples of Winchester’s made in Canada and sold in Canada prior to 1964. Cooey had a long and important history of firearms manufacturing in Canada by producing inexpensive but reliable firearms beginning in 1919 with a single shot bolt action .22, the “Canuck” which was the first gun that many kids every shot or hunted with including me.

NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6280
November 10, 2019 - 10:50 pm

Bert H. said

A few years ago, they pulled up stakes in Columbia, SC and moved the Model 70 production overseas (to Portugal I believe).  

If several foreign manufacturers such as Glock & Walther have found it profitable to establish US factories, it’s hard to believe the Model 70 couldn’t be manufactured in this country at a reasonable profit, especially after moving operations to a right-to-work state.  (There’s no doubt that union problems in New Haven contributed to Winchester’s demise.) 

Mark "Dirty Doc
WACA Guest
November 13, 2019 - 5:38 pm

D.  David McNab said

It’s my understanding that your Sr# indicates that 0030X is the three hundred and ?th gun in this production run and that MX92F indicates a production year of 2003 and F indicates the 6TH variation of the Miroku 92.

This is extrapolated from the same way you can research Browning (Miroku) Serial#’s – it seems to have been accurate for all my other Miroku’s over the years.

I guess I should have just offered this first – I’ll be quiet now.

D.  

My undying thanks to Mr. David McNab for a straight and distinct answer to my question WITHOUT “political” input. THAT said, my 2 dozen original Chjinrester lever guns, 10+97’s and 15 others mfg in New Haven are my babys. They are HISTORIC Winchesters. My collection of Mirokus are NON-historic, but I love them all the same. Miroku makes (made?) fabulous firearms, especially appreciated when I could not afford the originals. I am more interested in John M. Browning’s designs than trademarks, but a historic firearm is different, special, huggable and another proof of a loving God. My cruddy barreled ’73s in 38-40 are my pride and joy when cowboy shooting. Much more cool than shooting a Uberti or Miroku ( I was a Uberti dealer and have MANY). They all shoot pinhole groups, as do my original Marlins. My like- NIB 1873 will never be fired, but all my others were meant to be shot and enjoyed. Whether we are elite or shoestring Winchester lovers, we are a brotherhood which appreciates the best of the best. Most of us are shooters and appreciate a fine shooting rifle, whether a Winchester, Browning, Miroku or Uberti. MANY THANKS to all who gave input to my sophomoric question. My hopes that I didn’t offend anyone by shooting clones of my originals….Mark “Dirty Doc” Zachary  SASS#3362

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4566
November 14, 2019 - 1:11 am

I have a Uberti cattleman in 44 WCF that Lee’s Gunsmithing did a complete gunslinger action job on it. I got rid of my 1st model Ruger Vaquero after holding and shooting this Uberti.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6280
TXGunNut: 4969
Chuck: 4566
1873man: 4280
steve004: 4160
Big Larry: 2323
twobit: 2291