Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Marlin 1895 vs Winchester 1886
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 305
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
May 8, 2023 - 6:18 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

The 95s are scarce in any caliber, I have a few and won’t pass up any decent condition 95, here’s a 33 solid and takedown frame.

IMG_3306-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1315-1.jpegImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 64
May 8, 2023 - 1:57 pm

Hi Guys,

I have both a Winchester 1886 (38-56) and a Marlin 1895 (45-90) and I like them both but favor the Winchester. I have taken both apart to clean and the Marlin is far easier. In fact if it were necessary you could pull the bolt in the field if need be on the Marlin something I wouldn’t even consider in the Winchester. I reform 45-70 brass to 38-56 to shoot the 1886 and it shoots very well and is accurate shooting smokeless. The 1895 I have shot both black powder and smokeless in and it is pretty accurate as well. As cj57 said the 95’s are scarce and the one I have is an early one made in 1896. If I saw one at a gun show at a good price I would seriously consider buying it in any caliber. Some of the Winchester 1886’s I have seen have prices considerably more and if in 45-90 (like my Marlin) or 45-70 especially so.

Rob

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4263
May 8, 2023 - 4:33 pm

cj57 said
The 95s are scarce in any caliber, I have a few and won’t pass up any decent condition 95, here’s a 33 solid and takedown frame.

IMG_3306-1.jpegImage EnlargerIMG_1315-1.jpegImage Enlarger

That’s a nice pair of .33’s!

WACA Member
May 10, 2023 - 6:15 am

Thank you! Steve

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 216
May 12, 2023 - 1:03 am

In my opinion the Marlins were every bit the equal of the Winchesters in quality and a superior design. Disassembly was much simpler, the solid top made the action stiffer. In the same way as the Marlin 1893 was superior to the Winchester 1894 in design. Winchester had been producing rifles for far longer than Marlin in 1895 and had built a solid reputation with the 1866 and 1873 rifles. Hard for Marlin to break into a market that Winchester pretty much owned. Winchesters were fine rifles but I feel Marlins get less credit than they deserve from some.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 12, 2023 - 3:08 am

When I made the decision recently to focus my collecting efforts it was hard to walk away from Marlins. I feel Winchesters better illustrate the time period that interests me and the Marlin is a bit too “modern” for my image of this era. My most prolific modern hunting levergun is a modern 1895 Guide Gun but I’ll only pursue collectible Winchesters. I have studied and appreciate Marlins but they’re not Winchesters.

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
NY
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 6397
May 12, 2023 - 3:57 am

I feel Winchesters better illustrate the time period that interests me and the Marlin is a bit too “modern” for my image of this era. TXGunNut said

“Modern,” because Marlin’s designs were so often “ahead of their time,” as with the “safety” solid-top rcvr.  Even the Model 1881 is a lot more modern-looking than the toggle-link ’76, but still, only 5 yrs “newer.”  Without the ’81, maybe no ’86.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 182
May 12, 2023 - 4:26 am

clarence said

I feel Winchesters better illustrate the time period that interests me and the Marlin is a bit too “modern” for my image of this era. TXGunNut said

“Modern,” because Marlin’s designs were so often “ahead of their time,” as with the “safety” solid-top rcvr.  Even the Model 1881 is a lot more modern-looking than the toggle-link ’76, but still, only 5 yrs “newer.”  Without the ’81, maybe no ’86.

Andrew Burgess had many patents and worked with many gun companies that benefited from his patents, Marlin is one of those companies. No matter how you cut it, Winchester dominated the market regardless of any Marlin innovation. 

Browning had already designed most of what became the 1886 Winchester by 1878 when T.G. Bennett went to Utah to buy the rights to produce the Winchester High Wall.

There was enough market to allow Marlin to make rifles and compete with Winchester, but Marlin wasn’t the only lever action rifle maker to try. Whitney Kennedy, another Burgess designed gun and others did produce and compete in that era to get a piece of that pie, but you have to remember that second place is still only first place in the loser category.  

WACA Guest
May 12, 2023 - 11:16 am

With any product its tough to make inroads in a market already dominated by a quality product no matter how good your product and price point are. Really if Marlins weren’t so good they wouldn’t have made enough sales to survive. Either way, both good rifles and desirable to collect. Marlin 95’s are harder to find but interest in 86 Winchesters is higher so I find prices for Marlins a little lower which to me makes them a bargain from a rarity standpoint.

WACA Member
May 12, 2023 - 3:07 pm

When I go to a gun show there are many rifles I am on the look for.  Very high on that list are Winchester M1886’s and Marlin 1895’s.  At nearly every gun show I attend, there are Winchester 86’s – usually many.  On the other hand, more often than not, I won’t see a single Marlin M1895.  Even though the M1886 is my preference, it is a treat to find a Marlin ’95.

WACA Member
May 13, 2023 - 1:22 am

I’m with Steve, the 86 is my favorite but I do like the Marlins and when I get a chance to grab one ☝️ I go for it, Here’s an unusual one with odd length barrel 29”, maybe the only one 

IMG_6486.jpegImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
WACA Guest
May 13, 2023 - 2:08 am

That is an odd one. 29 inches can’t have been a common pick. Winchesters usully came in two inch increments, even numbers. Odd numbers are unusual in my experience, at least.

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5057
May 13, 2023 - 4:15 am

Shrapnel said

clarence said

Andrew Burgess had many patents and worked with many gun companies that benefited from his patents, Marlin is one of those companies. No matter how you cut it, Winchester dominated the market regardless of any Marlin innovation. 

Browning had already designed most of what became the 1886 Winchester by 1878 when T.G. Bennett went to Utah to buy the rights to produce the Winchester High Wall.

There was enough market to allow Marlin to make rifles and compete with Winchester, but Marlin wasn’t the only lever action rifle maker to try. Whitney Kennedy, another Burgess designed gun and others did produce and compete in that era to get a piece of that pie, but you have to remember that second place is still only first place in the loser category.  

Kirk-
Thank you for introducing me to Andrew Burgess and helping me learn more about Whitney and Kennedy. I can only surmise that Burgess and his designs were a victim of Winchester’s superior marketing efforts. And thank you for introducing MLV to Winchesters. I hope he is doing well, you and others have told me he has abandoned the milsurp silliness and returned to the classics but I haven’t seen any articles from him lately. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
May 13, 2023 - 12:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

cj57 said
I’m with Steve, the 86 is my favorite but I do like the Marlins and when I get a chance to grab one ☝️ I go for it, Here’s an unusual one with odd length barrel 29”, maybe the only one 

IMG_6486.jpegImage Enlarger

cj – 

That is one unusual Marlin.  I’d love to know the chambering.  It probably is one of a kind.  An odd digit barrel length (e.g. 29 inches) is rare on a Winchester and probably even more rare on a Marlin.

As Clarence often suggests, special orders like this imply the person ordering the rifle was giving significant thought to what they were ordering and why.  Which is quite cool.  As always, it would be wonderful to know just what those thoughts were.

WACA Member
May 13, 2023 - 12:36 pm

TXGunNut said

Shrapnel said

clarence said

Kirk-

Thank you for introducing me to Andrew Burgess and helping me learn more about Whitney and Kennedy. I can only surmise that Burgess and his designs were a victim of Winchester’s superior marketing efforts. And thank you for introducing MLV to Winchesters. I hope he is doing well, you and others have told me he has abandoned the milsurp silliness and returned to the classics but I haven’t seen any articles from him lately. 

Mike

I’ve studied this history for a long time and it continues to fascinate me.  It’s a wonderful blend of factors.  Just to name a few, the creativity and inventiveness of the various designers involved (e.g Browning, Burgess), the changing times – the advent of smokeless powder cartridges, the public changing interest to lighter rifle, small bullets and high velocity, the job the marketing guys were doing (especially at Winchester), the ability to sustain adequate funding, the ability to acquire military contracts.  The list goes on and on. Books could be written on the topic.  Oh, wait, they have.  

Like many areas of business, it was a war of fierce competition and dominance.  Winchester came out on top.  This is quite understandable to me.

NY
WACA Member
May 13, 2023 - 1:46 pm

steve004 said

Like many areas of business, it was a war of fierce competition and dominance.  Winchester came out on top.  This is quite understandable to me.

Most car buyers today choose from what they find on the dealer’s lot, rather than order from the factory.  I think that’s probably also true of most gun buyers in the past; instant gratification over waiting for an order placed with the factory to be delivered.  One way Winchester might have exercised their dominance is by refusing dealerships to gun stores that sold Marlins, their major competitor; other makes like Stevens wouldn’t have been viewed as serious rivals.  I’m referring to small-town local gun dealers, not the major ones like A&F, which had too much clout to be intimidated.

NY
WACA Member
May 13, 2023 - 1:54 pm

Thank you for introducing me to Andrew Burgess and helping me learn more about Whitney and Kennedy.TXGunNut said 

Excellent review of Burgess’ inventions, if you can find it on-line:  “Andrew Burgess, Inventor,” in Gun Digest #19.  More than enough info for anyone who’s not actually a Burgess collector.

Eastern Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 272
May 13, 2023 - 4:08 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Since we’re on marlins…

1895 deluxe made in 1903. 24 inch barrel in 40 82

Perfect bore and a great shooter. Some interesting special order features. I’m sure this will letter with a 24 inch barrel.

20230513_102102-1.jpgImage Enlarger20230513_102115-1.jpgImage Enlarger20230513_102129-1.jpgImage Enlarger20230513_102141-1.jpgImage Enlarger20230513_102212-1.jpgImage Enlarger20230513_102322-1.jpgImage Enlarger

Eastern Iowa
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 272
May 13, 2023 - 4:19 pm

How about another? 1881 made in 1887 with a 24 inch barrel in 40 60 marlin. This one is lettered. Love the shotgun butts on these.  The wood has been redone, sure resembles European walnut to me

20230513_102332.jpgImage Enlarger20230513_102402.jpgImage Enlarger20230513_102408.jpgImage Enlarger20230513_102419.jpgImage Enlarger

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1729
May 13, 2023 - 4:23 pm

What’s the value of a Marlin 1895 relative to a comparable Winchester 1886?

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: Bill Hockett, wally, Michael McMurray
Guest(s) 162
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6397
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4603
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4263