Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Looks like a nice antique special order M1894 on auction
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4246
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
March 23, 2019 - 1:41 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/803228895

Anyone see any flies, flaws or inconsistencies? 

I have a few concerns but I’ll hold back and see what others think.

Troutdale, OR
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1909
March 23, 2019 - 3:01 pm

I’ve been watching this one as well.  Maybe it’s due to the photo quality, but where are the case colors on this rifle?  It looks like the hammer and lever may be blued.  Also, there appears to be much more wear on the forearm that is inconsistent with the rest of of the rifle.  I believe the white background of the photos has a deceiving effect on the gun as well.  Just my take.

Don

Northern edge of the D/FW Metromess
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 5018
March 23, 2019 - 3:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

I like the rifle but it’s hard to tell much from the pics. I share Don’s concerns about the lever and hammer, no useful pics of either.   The wood appears to have been refinished but I’m not sure about the metal. 

Mike

Life Member TSRA, Endowment Member NRA
BBHC Member, TGCA Member
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.-TXGunNut
Presbyopia be damned, I'm going to shoot this thing! -TXGunNut
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1723
March 23, 2019 - 3:30 pm

I immediately noticed the lack of case colouring on the lever and hammer relative to the rest of the gun–it doesn’t reflect the fact the bluing has minimal wear.  A few other concerns with consistency between finishes.  I’d like to see this one in person before making a final judgment (and bidding anywhere even close to this high).

WACA Member
March 23, 2019 - 3:32 pm

TXGunNut said
I like the rifle but it’s hard to tell much from the pics. I share Don’s concerns about the lever and hammer, no useful pics of either.   The wood appears to have been refinished but I’m not sure about the metal. 

Mike  

RIGHT!  That’s exactly what I meant about finish inconsistency.  This rifle has an overall “dark” appearance–finish of wood and metal–which often suggests a complete refinish.

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1118
March 23, 2019 - 4:22 pm

Definitely poor pictures.  The lever and hammer…on the sides, does appear to have faded case colors.  The wood looks to be refinished as mentioned.

James

WACA Member
March 23, 2019 - 5:29 pm

My initial impression was the condition/wear on the wood did not match the brilliant blue (e.g. receiver sides).  The wood shows hunting use and if it showed use to the point that it needed refinishing, why would the receiver blue be so brilliant? I thought the blue wear on the buttplate matched the condition of the wood.  However, when you contrast the blue wear on the buttplate to the condition of the receiver and barrel blue, there is literally, a world of difference.  I really like the configuration, like that it is of antique manufacture, but I believe what looks nice here is deceiving. 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1095
March 23, 2019 - 5:35 pm

The gun sure looks good to Me, I wish was mine. I can see the case colors, a little dark maybe and I don’t see the signs of a refinish. I would want to caress it though before I bought it.

W.A.C.A. life member, Marlin Collectors Assn. charter and life member, C,S.S.A. member and general gun nut.

WACA Guest
March 23, 2019 - 6:31 pm

Henry Mero said
The gun sure looks good to Me, I wish was mine. I can see the case colors, a little dark maybe and I don’t see the signs of a refinish. I would want to caress it though before I bought it.  

I agree, it does look good.  The poor pictures might be the reason that the wood “looks” to have been taken down some, especially at the butt plate and to a lesser extent, at the wrist.  The configuration is fantastic!

James

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 104
March 23, 2019 - 7:13 pm

Take a close-up look at the “30 W.C.F.”. Looks funny to me. Almost like the W is double marked.

WACA Member
March 23, 2019 - 8:16 pm

nascar fan said
Take a close-up look at the “30 W.C.F.”. Looks funny to me. Almost like the W is double marked.  

Now that I enlarge the “.30 W.C.F.”, I agree with this.  Plus, it appears weak, especially the “F”.  Makes me more confident that this one’s refinished.

WACA Guest
March 23, 2019 - 11:34 pm

mrcvs said

Now that I enlarge the “.30 W.C.F.”, I agree with this.  Plus, it appears weak, especially the “F”.  Makes me more confident that this one’s refinished.  

It would be hard to make a case against that now.

James

WACA Member
March 24, 2019 - 12:02 am

nascar fan said

Yes, there is something up with the W.  I think the lettering has been restamped (and the W stamp is a slightly different stamp).

South Texas
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1042
March 24, 2019 - 5:42 am

Aside from what has already been mentioned, the forearm wood corners along the barrel appear to be rounded instead of sharp.  One other item that may be ok but looks a little odd compared to others in the same SN range and beyond is the flat at the base of the receiver (between the lever link & the SN)  having the flat bevel that extends well into the area of the SN stamp, with the lower part of the “0” has been obscured.  The SN stamps appear to be correct font and size compared to those in the same SN range. Who knows, better pictures would certainly help on some of the other points brought up.

One thing this rifle has made me realize is that Im totally out of touch with the price points for certain types of guns. 

DSC_0245-Copy-3.JPG

1892takedown @sbcglobal.net ......NRA Endowment Life Member.....WACA Member

"God is great.....beer is good.....and people are crazy"... Billy Currington

Ohio
WACA Member
Forum Posts: 383
March 24, 2019 - 12:53 pm

the f in wcf looks suspect to me but so do the letters in repeating on the barrel, after the letter p the lower parts of the letters look a little weak? Could just be the picture. I would love to be able to contact the gentleman to whom the letter was issued in 91 to see if the rifle is the same as when he had it

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 1385
March 24, 2019 - 1:25 pm

The wood looks to be in worse condition than the metal and appears to be lightly sanded and refinished in my opinion. The W in  30 WCF looks double stamped.

Al

WACA Member
March 24, 2019 - 1:52 pm

Bill Hanzel said
the f in wcf looks suspect to me but so do the letters in repeating on the barrel, after the letter p the lower parts of the letters look a little weak? Could just be the picture. I would love to be able to contact the gentleman to whom the letter was issued in 91 to see if the rifle is the same as when he had it  

The owner from back in the early 90’s may well be astounded to see the nice shape his rifle is in!

I realize that the photos could be better and that makes many of our observations tentative.  However, can anyone here reconcile the substantial wear and use displayed on the buttplate vs. the almost complete lack of receiver and barrel blue wear?

WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 88
March 24, 2019 - 3:04 pm

This is a reputable seller who sells mostly military items. He almost always has a table at the Louisville Ky gun show and has fantastic items for sale. What puzzles me is that after around 3500.00 in bidding the bidding is between two bidders. One has a feedback of four and the other has a feedback of eleven. Every item purchased by the bidder with eleven feedbacks has been purchased from this seller. Hmmm

Kingston, WA
Admin
Forum Posts: 10827
March 24, 2019 - 11:11 pm

Something does not “smell” right about that rifle. I would only consider it after personally examining it.

Bert

WACA Historian & Board of Director Member #6571L
High-walls-1-002-C-reduced2.jpg

WACA Member
March 25, 2019 - 12:06 am

You can get so much more for a lot less at some of the big name auction houses these days as Winchesters have recently started to drop.  Stuff with special order features, less the problems this one has, at a hammer price less than where this one currently stands.

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Online: clarence, [email protected], SureShot, Pwog
Guest(s) 146
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6357
TXGunNut: 5018
Chuck: 4596
1873man: 4319
steve004: 4246