Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Looking for more info on "US Property" marked Model 70 Target (SN# 333438)
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 13
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
June 21, 2017 - 8:21 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello, first post here, so please be gentle Smile

I recently acquired a Winchester Model 70 Target that has “US Property” electro-penciled on the side of the receiver. It includes a bedded stock wider stock and the mounts for what I would guess would be target sights. In my brief research, I’ve come across people mention Van Orden rifles, Vietnam snipers, and other bits, but I figured I’d come and ask you guys to try and figure out what I’ve purchased. 

Image Enlarger

2Image Enlarger

3Image Enlarger

Apologies for the lack of photos at the moment, I’m hoping to take some better ones this afternoon.

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 463
June 21, 2017 - 9:08 pm

Look’s like you have purchased a Van Orden Sniper rifle! According to records, it was shipped to the USART on the 19th June, 1955. It appears your stock shown in picture, is the original Winchester “Marksman” target stock. It is exactly like my #335330 Van Orden. 

Steve

WACA Guest
June 21, 2017 - 9:27 pm

seewin said
Look’s like you have purchased a Van Orden Sniper rifle! According to records, it was shipped to the USART on the 19th June, 1955. It appears your stock shown in picture, is the original Winchester “Marksman” target stock. It is exactly like my #335330 Van Orden. 

Steve  

That’s fantastic news! Do you have a running list of all of the Van Orden serial number rifles? Or is that in a book somewhere?

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 2354
June 22, 2017 - 12:17 am

At one time, Mr. Peter Senich, had lists of all the Van Orden M70’s He has since passed on. He found the records for mine. It was shipped to the 1954 National Matches and purchased by the US Army. Later thought to be used by them as a Sniper rifle in Viet Nam. It had a US engraved on the receiver ring and was ground off by some paranoid jerk. When I got the rifle, a few years ago, it was in a later sporter stock with the cheap pressed checkering. A friend at the CMP gave me a correct stock for the rifle. Mine is # 272958, with a “53” dated medium heavy bbl. Came with a trashed Lyman STS that Mr. Parsons told me to throw away. $900 to fix it. I got this rifle as a gift from a Army Sgt. Major.  Big Larry

Van-Orden-Sniper-M70-001.jpgImage Enlarger

sp_PlupAttachments Attachments
Forum Posts: 2119
June 22, 2017 - 12:25 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Here are 2 excerpts from Death from Afar – Volume 1 which list some of the serial numbers;

Van-Order-SN-1.jpgImage EnlargerVan-Order-SN-2.jpgImage Enlarger

I have 220290 which was sold to an individual at Fort Bragg, it is not US Property marked.  What is the serial number of your rifle?

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Guest
June 22, 2017 - 1:22 am

JWA said
Here are 2 excerpts from Death from Afar – Volume 1 which list some of the serial numbers;

Van-Order-SN-1.jpgImage EnlargerVan-Order-SN-2.jpgImage Enlarger

I have 220290 which was sold to an individual at Fort Bragg, it is not US Property marked.  What is the serial number of your rifle?

Regards,  

The serial is 333438, which looks to be smack dab in between one sold to Barry Conway in 1955 and one sold to the Coast Guard in 1955. 

Big Larry said
At one time, Mr. Peter Senich, had lists of all the Van Orden M70’s He has since passed on. He found the records for mine. It was shipped to the 1954 National Matches and purchased by the US Army. Later thought to be used by them as a Sniper rifle in Viet Nam. It had a US engraved on the receiver ring and was ground off by some paranoid jerk. When I got the rifle, a few years ago, it was in a later sporter stock with the cheap pressed checkering. A friend at the CMP gave me a correct stock for the rifle. Mine is # 272958, with a “53” dated medium heavy bbl. Came with a trashed Lyman STS that Mr. Parsons told me to throw away. $900 to fix it. I got this rifle as a gift from a Army Sgt. Major.  Big Larry

That’s a beautiful rifle, I’d love to have a scope like that. The collection I purchased my rifle out of had another Model 70 with a nice vintage Unertl on it, but I decided to go with the “US Property” marked one. Here’s a few shots of the one I passed on.

1Image Enlarger

2Image Enlarger

3Image Enlarger

Forum Posts: 2119
June 22, 2017 - 1:34 am

333438 is listed on the second page as being sold to the USART as Seewin surmised.  Great rifle, congrats!

Regards,

WACA Life Member #6284 - Specializing in Pre-64 Winchester .22 Rimfire

http://rimfirepublications.com/  

WACA Guest
June 22, 2017 - 1:49 am

JWA said
333438 is listed on the second page as being sold to the USART as Seewin surmised.  Great rifle, congrats!

Regards,  

Oh wow, I completely overlooked that, good catch! I’m guessing that “USART” stands for United States Army Rifle Team? Was that the precursor to the US Army Marksmanship Unit?

WACA Guest
June 22, 2017 - 2:16 pm

Big Larry said

Another question I had for you Larry, since Mr. Senich passed away, do you know who is currently in possession of his research? Did he have the original documents from Evaluators Ltd and Winchester, or just copies? Any chance that someone like Bruce Canfield would have the Winchester documents? I know that he has acquired quite a few of them for his Garand research. 

WACA Member
June 22, 2017 - 3:34 pm

[email protected] said

Another question I had for you Larry, since Mr. Senich passed away, do you know who is currently in possession of his research? Did he have the original documents from Evaluators Ltd and Winchester, or just copies? Any chance that someone like Bruce Canfield would have the Winchester documents? I know that he has acquired quite a few of them for his Garand research.   

At one time Mr. Senich and I traded much info on Sniper Rifles. I had several of them, to include one of the finest, documented, examples of a USMC M1903A1/Unertl. I do not know what happened to all his research. I didn’t even know he had passed until a few years later. I had sold all my Sniper rifles and started collecting in a different direction. Mr. Senich was a prolific writer and wrote some real nice books. I was proud to call him my friend. I don’t know if he had actual documents or copies. I would guess, actual documents. When my M70 was given to me, I got copies of all the items sold at the 1954 NM’s. My rifle was on the list. I will post a copy here if I can find it. I do not have a copy of it in my files, but I do have the second page.   Big Larry

DSCF0198.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Member
June 22, 2017 - 3:54 pm

Found the copy of the original receipt of my rifle and a few others.   Big LarryDSCF0200.JPGImage Enlarger

WACA Guest
June 22, 2017 - 7:40 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

Big Larry said
Found the copy of the original receipt of my rifle and a few others.   Big LarryDSCF0200.JPGImage Enlarger  

14 cents/round for match .30-06 ammo? You think they still honor those prices? Laugh

On a serious note though, thanks for posting, thanks great documentation. I’d say the only way to get copies of what Van Orden had would be able to get into contact with his son. For the original factory papers, I’d probably have to contact someone like Bruce Canfield to see if has any old Winchester factory contacts.

I’m hoping to visit the USMC museum in SD in a few weeks and they supposedly have a fairly large amount of documentation on their Vietnam sniper weapons, so perhaps I’ll stumble upon something in my research. Thanks again for your help!

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6388
TXGunNut: 5057
Chuck: 4601
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2354
twobit: 2306