Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
Lost password?
sp_Feed sp_PrintTopic sp_TopicIcon
Info on 2008 Limited Edition
sp_NewTopic Add Topic
WACA Guest
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
September 11, 2019 - 12:34 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Hello, I’m ready to purchase a 2008 Limited Edition Model 70 300 win mag and would like to know the worth. It is boxed with papers, and has around 20 rounds shot through it. The plate on the bottom is marked “2008 Model 70 Limited Edition”. It seems there are variations of the deluxe models offered in 2008. Here is a pic of the bottom plate: https://www.happyvalleyphotography.com/Other/Model-70/n-BHf6gK/i-2cbtQL8/A Thanks and hello 

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 347
September 12, 2019 - 5:02 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_EditHistory sp_QuotePost

I’m going to start with the frank opinion I’m unqualified to answer your question. Adding my perceptions from there, beginning with… If I had a dollar for every “special”, “limited edition”, “commemorative”… To me, such attraction most often in ‘eyes of beholder’. For myself and I suspect many other collectors, the plethora of such having become largely too profuse to distinguish, much less to catalog or even less truly evaluate. The answer I hate, I now find myself using. It’s worth is what someone will pay. A true non-answer, but within a sea of such similar factory merchandising mode, difficult to distinguish. Even with Internet sales data resources, a handful resales since, for instance, 2008 hardly establishing market value.
You might wish to first investigate just how many of such model built and over what period offered.
Were I evaluating the particular rifle for personal purchase (not likely), I’d largely just focus on value to me as opposed to other comparable expenditures. Again not an answer, but likely as good as pinging on a few Internet sales, hardly making market. Consider mentally disregarding the ‘limited status and focusing on what you like about the rifle. Beauty, functionality, meeting your needs/expectations. If sounding more like a father than ‘savvy collector’, to admit such here. I would suggest that if anyone is seeking a premium based on nomenclature, particularly such as floor plate alone, such edition to be instantly made or broken by whatever floor plate attached! 🙂 I do sincerely wish you ‘good luck’ in whatever decision. While I certainly have some safe queens, my overall objective to acquire best specimens of quality guns including reasonable ‘honest wear’. My sights within perspective of just nice gently used guns. Commemoratives to me more flashy distractions than inherent fit/finish/form/function. Just another pretty face! Not intended as ‘put down’ for those who enjoy such, just different strokes.
Don’t know if this helps at all, but now I feel better! 🙂 🙂 🙂
In conjunction with my age related ramblings, needing to conclude with…
By Cracky!
Best, John

WACA Member
Forum Posts: 4600
September 12, 2019 - 7:56 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print sp_QuotePost

Winchester manufactured commemoratives are one thing but other manufactures really aren’t collected by most Winchester collectors.  If it is what you like buy it.    

Forum Timezone: UTC 0
Most Users Ever Online: 778
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
clarence: 6383
TXGunNut: 5052
Chuck: 4600
1873man: 4323
steve004: 4261
Big Larry: 2346
twobit: 2303